Thread: B8 RS 4 canceled, development of new C7 RS 6 in focus...!?

B8 RS 4 canceled, development of new C7 RS 6 in focus...!?

well qisha told us there will not be any sedan RS4 B8 so i think that is where the confusion is.

but thet there was a go for the AVANT RS4 version. I do believe this is required and can't beleive this not making it through...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Yes, first Qisha said that there wouldn't be a B8 RS4 then only a few months ago, he said that there would be one, since the development work had already been done on the RS5 it would be easy to leverage it in the A4 platform. If the above story is correct, then the decision has been reversed.

As good as the RS5 is, I am not sure that it has been the success Audi wanted it to be. Many reports place the BMW M3 ahead of it and sales figures aren't exactly electric. Then there is the Sport Quattro, which has been described as the car that the RS5 should have been. If the RS5 had been labelled as brilliant, then perhaps the B8 RS4 would have stood a better chance of being produced.

We've all been very vocal here about saying what engine both the RS5 and RS4 should have had: the new 4.0-litre TFSI with 480 bhp. But then Qisha said that the RS4 won't get a V8 any more. With down-sizing in all segments, this V8 is needed for other higher level cars (including the Bentley Continental).

May Audi should have given the S4 the 2.5-litre 5-cylinder and the RS4 the 3.0-litre V6? But maybe this story is bullshit and an RS4 will appear after all. I have to say that the existing S4 is a mighty machine, so clever and so capable. Maybe the lack of an RS4 isn't such a big deal?

I've just heard from another souce, that BMW are not going to make the M3 saloon in next generation either.
    I just can't understand, why Audi do this. RS-cars have always been about power and practicality, they've been powered Avant's and saloons, that made sense.
    RS5 is not my kind of car, I've got a 911 turbo for weekends, and my day-to-day car has to be a saloon or an Avant. It's pointless to have two coupe's, one of which is kind of more practical.

P.S. I want a manual gearbox option

I think this is misinformation

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Yes, first Qisha said that there wouldn't be a B8 RS4 then only a few months ago, he said that there would be one, since the development work had already been done on the RS5 it would be easy to leverage it in the A4 platform. If the above story is correct, then the decision has been reversed.
    I am sure that at the time Qisha may have said this the RS4 program was still all systems go but things can change and often do.

As good as the RS5 is, I am not sure that it has been the success Audi wanted it to be. Many reports place the BMW M3 ahead of it and sales figures aren't exactly electric. Then there is the Sport Quattro, which has been described as the car that the RS5 should have been. If the RS5 had been labelled as brilliant, then perhaps the B8 RS4 would have stood a better chance of being produced.
    It's certain that some of the UK press have been less than impressed with the RS5, the usual bunch that are generally unimpressed by Audi. Chris Harris is BMW's bitch at the moment and it shows, EVO need to swap him with the Stig, a bit of quiet would be a welcome from the bullshit he been preaching.

We've all been very vocal here about saying what engine both the RS5 and RS4 should have had: the new 4.0-litre TFSI with 480 bhp. But then Qisha said that the RS4 won't get a V8 any more. With down-sizing in all segments, this V8 is needed for other higher level cars (including the Bentley Continental).

May Audi should have given the S4 the 2.5-litre 5-cylinder and the RS4 the 3.0-litre V6? But maybe this story is bullshit and an RS4 will appear after all. I have to say that the existing S4 is a mighty machine, so clever and so capable. Maybe the lack of an RS4 isn't such a big deal?
    There isn't a hope in hell that the RS4 will get the 4.0t engine if it were to come, the best you could possibly hope for is a tuned version of the 3.0 v6 in the S4, otherwise it will receive the identical engine and gearbox from the RS5.

Last edited by Joker; December 22nd, 2010 at 12:24.

Joker,

If Audi don't make an A4 with the 4.0-litre TFSI, you can bet someone will. From what I've seen so far, I think the new A6 is likely to be a perfect foundation for a fast n' frugal 4.0-litre TFSI V8. It'll come first in the S6 then it'll be beefed-up in the RS6. I expect 480 bhp and 600 bhp.

Joker,

If Audi don't make an A4 with the 4.0-litre TFSI, you can bet someone will. From what I've seen so far, I think the new A6 is likely to be a perfect foundation for a fast n' frugal 4.0-litre TFSI V8. It'll come first in the S6 then it'll be beefed-up in the RS6. I expect 480 bhp and 600 bhp.
    Someone will probably do it but that someone won't be Audi. I also would like to believe all your figures were right for the S6 and RS6 but I somehow don't think they will be or need to be that high, certainly not the S6 which doesn't have any direct competitors and will actually end up lighter than the old N/A model with it's 435hp and not that outstanding torque. I could quite easily see the new old with around 450hp and 600-650Nm and still out perform most everything else around it.

Though I think you might be close with the RS6.

I don't see a reason why there wouldn't be at least RS4 Avant when everything is already developed through the RS5...

Personally I think it would be a shame for there to be no RS 4 sedan, and a tragedy for no RS 4 avant! I would think quattro would have to make it. Wouldn't they?

Like Tailpipe said, maybe the story is just BS.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

They have everything they need to produce RS 4... Yes, in that case it will have basically the same engine as B7 RS 4, but ho cares... It was great car, and with B8 looks it would be even better!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    They have everything they need to produce RS 4... Yes, in that case it will have basically the same engine as B7 RS 4, but ho cares... It was great car, and with B8 looks it would be even better!
    If they do indeed build the RS4 then I believe the only certain one will be the Avant and it will be a much better car than the one it replaces.

P.S.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the reviewers continuously make references to the old RS4 being better than the RS5. The odd thing is the anyone who has owned both much prefer the new one, I would personally have more faith in an opinion from someone who had lived at length with both cars than anyone who spends little more than 5 minutes no matter how skilled they were, or would that be a stupid opinion to have.

both Ritchy and I have owned both RS4 and RS5 and do think RS5 is better... adn that only after driving 1000 Km... its a clear thing
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Something i can't understand. I know France is not the world, but here, the success of the RS5 is completely unexpected. Roughly 8 months of patience to have one, same as the Q5.

And please stop even compare the RS4 to the RS5...how is it possible to say it's better than the RS5 ? I've sold my RS4 (remaped-more than 430HP) to my best friend, so easy to compare. Both of us have the impression to have 100HP more in the RS5. And even without getting higher than 7000rpm (1500km today). And once more, it's NOT the same engine. A kind of magic you can't find in the "lazy" RS4.

Excepted the wheel steering, everything is better in the RS5....

good point.... steering wheel is indeed a screw up from Audi. that is th reason why I took it in reversed leather finish (a bit like alcantara). to have it look better...

did your friend tried your RS5 or did he test drove another RS5 ?
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Wow missed you guys

Well its been a few years since I wrote anything (5 years of owning M6 cars) but seriously giving thought to the new RS6. Anyways all the development work is done for an RS4, it is up to Audi to make one. They have the RS5 driveline which would be an RS4 but I think production capability for RS cars is the problem. Audi never makes RS cars in any real quantity, and right now they will have more RS models at one time than ever before. I think the plant at Neckarsulm is pretty maxed out with R8 cars, and so many RS models. Anyone who has the inside scoop, please chime in.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

There is already an RS4 avant mule going around will complete new guards etc as if Audi are going to go to those length and late stage development of it and then just can it.

RS4 will be released in Geneva motorshow in March and get avant only, no sedan and have same running gear as the RS5 so forget all those dreams of a 4L turbo motor

Avant only, 4.2 V8, IMHO...