Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APR RS6 owners: Features of the tune?

APR RS6 owners: Features of the tune?

As we know the APR tune (as well as others) makes quite a difference on the performance of our cars. Beyond all that, I have heard that the APR tune allows brake boosting, deletes the speed limiter, and deletes the secondary O2 sensors.

Why I started this is to find out what other owners know or have found in their APR tune. I don't think that the tune allows brake boosting after trying. I only tried once however. This makes me wonder about the O2 sensors. "Chip" in if you know anything about the above, or any other features not mentioned.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

My APR allows me to brake boost, I have test pipes in my car w/no faults, and have seen 170mph

If that answers any of your questions

I assume test pipes are equal to gutted pipes, but you know what they say about ass-u-me-ing.

As far as brake boosting, does it work on all programs? I had mine in 100 mode(option4) and as soon as I get a little over 2k rpm, the torque is pulling the wheels harder than the brakes can hold. Although, as I said before, I only tried this once.

Any other features others know of that aren't explicitly advertised from APR?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    And as soon as I get a little over 2k rpm, the torque is pulling the wheels harder than the brakes can hold.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean Kyle.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

The question is this. Is the engine making boost when your loading the wheels in that fashion? It sounds like it is.

I took off from a stop yesterday and thought my trans was toast. Looked down at the dash and realized the traction control was blinking at me. Silly me, all four wheels were spinning and I keep forgetting to turn off ESP. Dry pavement, 77 degrees and I have no idea what the plug gap is. Doh

I assume test pipes are equal to gutted pipes, but you know what they say about ass-u-me-ing.

As far as brake boosting, does it work on all programs? I had mine in 100 mode(option4) and as soon as I get a little over 2k rpm, the torque is pulling the wheels harder than the brakes can hold. Although, as I said before, I only tried this once.

Any other features others know of that aren't explicitly advertised from APR?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    The question is this. Is the engine making boost when your loading the wheels in that fashion? It sounds like it is.

I took off from a stop yesterday and thought my trans was toast. Looked down at the dash and realized the traction control was blinking at me. Silly me, all four wheels were spinning and I keep forgetting to turn off ESP. Dry pavement, 77 degrees and I have no idea what the plug gap is. Doh
    Dave, you kill me. Nice avatar, btw
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Congrats on the early X-mas gift ! that's one heck of a nice treat..... !

I can vouch that the APR software can be updated to allow for no CEL if you do pippies, cat deletes, or DP's etc..... and that it does away with whatever speed limiter was there prior...... Yokust has me by a few miles on what I've seen, but I'm hoping to find the right venue to try a speed run one of these days...

The best feature to me is the ability to switch the programs..... and put it into Valet for those rare times I dare let someone else park it.....

Initially I wasn't totally impressed with the power delivery but after driving it without boost leaks for a few weeks now I think both the car and I have figured each other out.... as many folks noted when I was going thru the boost isues etc, this isn't just a floor it and go car at times..... unlike my old W12 that was like a turbine on power delivery..... Aces and the 100 setting are made for each other as well......!!

I'm still trying to get on a Dyno to baseline the car.... hopefully after the new Year.

Cheers~
    APR ECU|KW3's, H-sports & 034 Arms|Wagner& Venair|Labree DP's w/ Cat deletes|USP custom exhaust w/ Miltek tips|VMR's & 265 RE011's|SEAT Cupra fr. spoiler|Full black optic & mirrors|RSN-E|RS6+ pedals|Clear-cornered|smoked tails/sides|S6 door blades|9500i

Alright, it makes sense that I am very likely brake boosting due to torque pulling the wheels loose from the brakes, but I just thought or had the expectation that it would rev up to at least 2500 rpm. It will probably try again today. I would really not prefer to do this too often as it likely wears on the tranny.

Covert, sounds like you requested "valet" mode instead of another octane mode? I didnt' request anything specific. I was just so excited about the find. So I am wondering, what is standard? I want the deleted o2's to be standard as I want to gut them in the spring.

Josh, I hear that you got yours deleted. Did you also have jerry allow brake boosting?

I did have my secondaries deleted. I didn't have him allow brake boosting. In retrospect it would be a lot easier than perfecting duck-foot-rats technique....I think I almost got it ;-)

Brake boosting will not alter the TC stall speed. It will only allow boost to begin while you have the foot on the brake pedal.

Use it wisely the longer you have your foot on the brake the hotter your trans temp gets.

brake boosting was an option when going in for a firmware update, I have tried it once the brakes couldn't hold it. The ability to adjust the tune with the cruise control stalk is very nice, when it was still under warranty you could put it in stock mode when going to Audi for service. Three different octane levels, plus valet.

another question, and probably a dumb one. Anyone tried changing APR programs on the fly?

another question, and probably a dumb one. Anyone tried changing APR programs on the fly?
    After changing programs, you have to cycle the ignition to activate the new program.

No brake boosting today. We're getting solid snow right now with 8" expected.

Yes you can do it on the fly, they only say not doing it and cycling the key because some idiot will activate the 100 program and the cruise at like 100mph and wad up the car and blame APR

Quote Originally Posted by yokust View Post
    Yes you can do it on the fly, they only say not doing it and cycling the key because some idiot will activate the 100 program and the cruise at like 100mph and wad up the car and blame APR
    The proper spelling is idjut...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Dave, you kill me. Nice avatar, btw
    Agreed! Silly minimum letter count to use up.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Can any APR tune owners check your program switching confirmation? I've got the stock, 91, 93 and 100 oct. maps but following the sequence outlined in the manual doesn't do anything. I'll release the cc set button during the desired flashing pattern, but after cycling off, 10 second wait, then back to the on position, it never flashes again- which is apparently what happens when you select a different map.
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |