Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug gap argument thread

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    And the power does feel smoother.
    Well, if nothing else, we've created a new placebo effect
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Well, if nothing else, we've created a new placebo effect
    Hah! This is entirely possible in this case. But my idle is definitively smoother now.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Hah! This is entirely possible in this case. But my idle is definitively smoother now.
    Ya, same here. I should have thought to hook up the vacuum gauge prior to re-gapping to see if there was an improvement in vacuum. At any rate, it sure feels smoother at all rpms.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Normally the only time you need to reduce the gap on plugs is when the spark output of coils is too weak

Alot of big horse power cars, run a larger gap with a stronger coils

This is why on my car I swapped for the new push down coils, because they have a stronger spark then the bolt down coils. All the issues you have been describing is why I swapped coils and all went away with the coils

Quote Originally Posted by yokust View Post
    Normally the only time you need to reduce the gap on plugs is when the spark output of coils is too weak

Alot of big horse power cars, run a larger gap with a stronger coils

This is why on my car I swapped for the new push down coils, because they have a stronger spark then the bolt down coils. All the issues you have been describing is why I swapped coils and all went away with the coils
    I know you've probably said it before, but what coils are you running? Same part number as say, a B6 S4? I think I may have some spares if that's the case.

My 996 Turbo plugs are gapped at .025 and I run 1.3bar or so...and no misfires there...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    My 996 Turbo plugs are gapped at .025 and I run 1.3bar or so...and no misfires there...
    Not exactly apples to apples. Your 996 has a compression ratio of 9.4:1, the RS6 is 9.8:1. I run about 1.25bar max, cylinder pressures may actually be higher in the RS6.

My 996 compression ratio under 1.4bar of boost is: 21.55:1, The RS6 at 1 bar is: 19.6:1. Pretty close. I guess my point was an .025 gap is good for almost 20lbs of boost on that particular car. When I finally do my plugs in the RS6, They will be gapped at .025.
    2013 Audi S8

My 996 compression ratio under 1.4bar of boost is: 21.55:1, The RS6 at 1 bar is: 19.6:1. Pretty close. I guess my point was an .025 gap is good for almost 20lbs of boost on that particular car. When I finally do my plugs in the RS6, They will be gapped at .025.
    If using the 1.3 bar like you stated earlier, and no correction for altitude, your compression under boost comes to 21.7:1, and my car at 1.25 bar comes to 22.13:1. It's probably not necessary to reduce the gap as far as .024, but like I said earlier, I had a steady vacuum reading, so it's not doing any harm. I figured if I was going to bother pulling the plugs and adjusting gaps, I would go to one extreme. I'm due for new plugs in 5k, so I'll try .025 then and retest.

If using the 1.3 bar like you stated earlier, and no correction for altitude, your compression under boost comes to 21.7:1, and my car at 1.25 bar comes to 22.13:1. It's probably not necessary to reduce the gap as far as .024, but like I said earlier, I had a steady vacuum reading, so it's not doing any harm. I figured if I was going to bother pulling the plugs and adjusting gaps, I would go to one extreme. I'm due for new plugs in 5k, so I'll try .025 then and retest.
    Yeah, I used a 1000ft altitude in my calc...no biggie...and I plan on turning my boost up ..., as soon as I fix some issues. DV's done, and N75 next... wasn't holding full boost after the flash...
    2013 Audi S8

Yeah, I used a 1000ft altitude in my calc...no biggie...and I plan on turning my boost up ..., as soon as I fix some issues. DV's done, and N75 next... wasn't holding full boost after the flash...
    What diverter valves did you go with?

What diverter valves did you go with?
    Stock OEM upgraded ones. Had them in the 996 for the last 2 years at 1.3bar and been fine. Don't remember the part number? Maybe 750N?
    2013 Audi S8

just got done test driving myself. Gapped them to .025. Problem solved. No more sputtering. Tried both 91 and 93 modes from APR. I think I'll be keeping it in 93 mode.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Stock OEM upgraded ones. Had them in the 996 for the last 2 years at 1.3bar and been fine. Don't remember the part number? Maybe 750N?
    Ya, that's the one. We're running the Bosch 710N's in our cars at the shop as well. I went with the Forge 007's, it allows you to fine tune the spring tension using the Vag to graph out specified and actual boost drop when they divert pressure for the load reduction during shift points. It was nice to be able to tune how fast it recovers from dumping boost. I should get my hands on a pair of diaphragm valves someday just to see how they compare, I installed the Forge's shortly after buying the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    just got done test driving myself. Gapped them to .025. Problem solved. No more sputtering. Tried both 91 and 93 modes from APR. I think I'll be keeping it in 93 mode.
    Congrats!
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Congrats Kyle! Feel better? I'm glad you brought this whole thing up, I never really thought this far into it, I was just assuming you needed a new set of plugs in general. It's funny, there seemed to be an RS6 community plug change today. Shouldn't we be out Christmas shopping?

Shouldn't we be out Christmas shopping?
    I'd rather put a tunnel in my forehead...
    2013 Audi S8

I'd rather put a tunnel in my forehead...
    LOL, my phrase was, "Go shopping? I'd rather slam my d&%$ in a door"! Haha