Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giac ecu/tcu

Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    DHall1 needs all the data in one format to effectively compare tunes. If one of use uses Dynolicious, another Mustang another... we cannot compare HP and torque without knowing the differences between the measuring devices. The same with VAGCOM, VBox verus other data loggers. Let's all get on the same tuning, dyno, datalogging page!
    We've been on the same data logging page for two years, Dave and I were doing pretty well compiling logs from various cars. It wasn't until recently that things started getting mucked up with all of these different options.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

DHall1 needs all the data in one format to effectively compare tunes. If one of use uses Dynolicious, another Mustang another... we cannot compare HP and torque without knowing the differences between the measuring devices. The same with VAGCOM, VBox verus other data loggers. Let's all get on the same tuning, dyno, datalogging page!
    Agreed! hope that we can get it straightened out.
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    We've been on the same data logging page for two years, Dave and I were doing pretty well compiling logs from various cars. It wasn't until recently that things started getting mucked up with all of these different options.
    Sorry but thats the tool i use, have been for Years. and if i knew it would create such drama then i would not post anything, I guess i will have to wait to get a Good day to use my Vagcom, which i have no idea on how to use it yet..
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Quote Originally Posted by PALETTE View Post
    Sorry but thats the tool i use, have been for Years. and if i knew it would create such drama then i would not post anything, I guess i will have to wait to get a Good day to use my Vagcom, which i have no idea on how to use it yet..
    Don't take this the wrong way, I have no problem with the pbox, or any other data acquisition device for that matter. We're talking about two different things here, and they don't mix. We've been comparing tunes using data from the Vag-com to highlight boost, timing, and most importantly, fueling as a basis of measurement. This is how we make determinations of which tunes are safe, and make good power. As you said earlier, if you just want numbers, it doesn't matter how you're logging the car as long as you are comparing to baseline numbers. The only issue that I've ever had with any of your posts is that there is no reason to be posting numbers without a comparison factor. It's pointless to say "I went 0-60 in 4.4 stock" until you are ready to accompany this information with tuned numbers as well. It's never been my intention to offend you, I'm just used to a different routine of gathering data.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

To simplify the above, I'm not concerned with performance numbers as much as I just like to log different aspects of the ecu to ensure that the car is healthy.

I've got no beef with any tune over another. GIAC is what I inherited, therefore, that's what I'm using.

No offense, you've all done a lot of work, but I'm of the scientific mind where unless the comparisons were done on the same car, same conditions, etc. then the comparative results are about as useful as the mfg's crayon drawings.

My $0.02, but it's hard to refute.

If I were a buyer, I'd go with whatever is the cheapest.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

The purpose of posting a dyno graph is to observe the power curve, and for multiple dyno's on the same sheet, power under the curve. The number is irrelevant, unless that's why you dyno'd. It seems everyone on this forum has a boner for Vagcom, which is great, but it's not a performance software, period. I didn't come here to try to change the world, just open up the possiblity that there are other tools out there to measure performance. I can cetainly use the Vagcom to record my RS6's performance, but why, I use my Pbox for all my other cars, why change. I didn't and don't post my times or my dyno info for all to compare THEIR numbers to, I posted to share MY changes, when I make them. Sorry for any confusion.
    2013 Audi S8

The author drabe of the first post states:

"Hi folks,
    My first post. I have a new to me 2004 RS6. In order not to void warranty, my dealer offers the GIAC ECU/TCU chips. Does anyone have any negative comments about this product? All responses welcome.
    Thank you in advance"

The answer to this question cannot be gleaned from a dyno graph. Too rich or lean, or timing issues that impact detonation and can kill an engine are the negatives the author is asking about. A poorly tuned engine can still make horsepower, but might ruin the longevity of the engine. VAGCOM data can answer questions about the tune not seen by dynos and other performace tools.

The author and many of us know there are gains to be had by ECU tunes. Its how the tuner gets these gains that interests many of us.

Sorry for the shitsorm I might have exacerbated, etc.

I guess what I was trying to say is that all of the efforts when not done in a controlled and scientific test only prove that one car/driver is better than another as opposed to which tune is better than another.

Also, to the OP, if GIAC is the mfg that guarantees that you won't void any warranty you have, it's been on the car I recently bought for at least 5+ years without any issues that I could discover. I'd say go for it.

If you get the flashloader and pay some more money, you can easily switch tunes to stock, race gas, performance and valet modes quite easily.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I am spoiled and have a local tuner, that's been tuning Audi's for years. I have no need to log my tune to "check" my tuner. If I bought a tune over the internet, I would be logging every time I drive it...If my tuner says it's OK to post my logs, I will do so.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I am spoiled and have a local tuner, that's been tuning Audi's for years. I have no need to log my tune to "check" my tuner. If I bought a tune over the internet, I would be logging every time I drive it...If my tuner says it's OK to post my logs, I will do so.

Great now i have someone else to ask if i can do something? Great i have a 2nds wife! LOL

Btw has anyone even noticed that the Original poster of this thread has not even come back and posted or checked in? Wow we are a tough group LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PALETTE View Post
    Great now i have someone else to ask if i can do something? Great i have a 2nds wife! LOL

Btw has anyone even noticed that the Original poster of this thread has not even come back and posted or checked in? Wow we are a tough group LOL
    nah.. i am sure he is around.. probably just dealing with the EXTREMLY COLD weather we are experiencing here in Toronto.... it is -13C (9F) right now and -22C (-30F) with wind chill factor........

Quote Originally Posted by tidus888 View Post
    nah.. i am sure he is around.. probably just dealing with the EXTREMLY COLD weather we are experiencing here in Toronto.... it is -13C (9F) right now and -22C (-30F) with wind chill factor........
    assuming he is from the area...

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Uhhhh,

Welcome aboard and search is your friend.

The better tunes

Eurocharge
    Viper
    APR
    OCT
    MTM

Eurocharge, Viper, APR offer the option of flashing back to stock.

I will leave it at that.
    Revo isn't in the mix any longer?

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Quote Originally Posted by Born2be View Post
    Revo isn't in the mix any longer?

W>
    Not sure anyone has given data files/logs...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If a thread is started by another forum member and I post a reply such as the one below. Is that considered "advertising" for Eurocharged? Have I singled out Eurocharged and said go buy that product because its better than all the rest?

It seems that some members think so as complaints have surfaced. Jealous competitors? Who are these people? How far do we need to carry PC on this board?

Forgive me if I have given my opinion. Ha

Its funny because I actually spoke highly of the complainer and his product. Yet he continues to complain. Well, the can of worms is about be opened up all over the place.

Uhhhh,

Welcome aboard and search is your friend.

The better tunes

Eurocharge
    Viperxxx
    APR
    OCT
    MTM

Eurocharge, Viper, APR offer the option of flashing back to stock.

I will leave it at that.
    Last edited by DHall1; December 16th, 2010 at 20:43.

If a thread is started by another forum member and I post a reply such as the one below. Is that considered "advertising" for Eurocharged? Have I singled out Eurocharged and said go buy that product because its better than all the rest?

It seems that some members think so as complaints have surfaced. Jealous competitors? Who are these people? How far do we need to carry PC on this board?

Forgive me if I have given my opinion. Ha

Its funny because I actually spoke highly of the complainer and his product. Yet he continues to complain. Well, the can of worms is about be opened up all over the place.

where is the popcorn????? This is getting GOOD! nom nom nom
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I gave up on this thread but happened to read your post.

Don-you sir and I think the same. This is the reason Pat and myself go over data logs like todays stock figures and option values. haha. The proof is in the vag log baby. Every time.

Beer and golf on me if you make it down to Phoenix.

The author drabe of the first post states:

"Hi folks,
    My first post. I have a new to me 2004 RS6. In order not to void warranty, my dealer offers the GIAC ECU/TCU chips. Does anyone have any negative comments about this product? All responses welcome.
    Thank you in advance"

The answer to this question cannot be gleaned from a dyno graph. Too rich or lean, or timing issues that impact detonation and can kill an engine are the negatives the author is asking about. A poorly tuned engine can still make horsepower, but might ruin the longevity of the engine. VAGCOM data can answer questions about the tune not seen by dynos and other performace tools.

The author and many of us know there are gains to be had by ECU tunes. Its how the tuner gets these gains that interests many of us.