Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eurocharged ECM, MTM TCU and level 10 VB

eurocharged ECM, MTM TCU and level 10 VB

Hi Everyone, my first post on rs6.com thanks guys for making this such a fun and educational forum for your fellow rs6 owners!

after some research (thanks to YOU guys) and discussion, i've decided on the following upgrades

1. eurocharged stage 1 ECM tune (jerry thornton really is a very nice guy). and special thanks to dave hall who i understand spent ALOT of time helping jerry perfect this tune. can't wait.

2. MTM tcu. seems to be the popular choice due to this torque management confusion on tuned cars

3. level 10 VB. spoke with patrick who, like jerry, seems like a nice and knowledgable guy. he'll tune the VB to make the mods of the MTM TCU so we keep a reasonable line pressure (read less heat) and firm up those shifts!

i'll let you guys know how it goes (if anyones interested). thanks again for all your help

Welcome aboard the

210K miles rolled

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

Oh wait, yeah I did have my hands on the Eurocharge tune.

What a first post and congrats on the mod direction. Tell us about your car....you have a good plan there.

Pick up a Ross-tech Vagcom if you dont already have one.

Just remember, firmer upshifts will mean firmer downshifts.

I do feel we are at or near the reasonable limits of this transmission so dont abuse it. Having a just slightly firmer shift point may be a good idea.

Keep us in the loop on L10

hey dave good to hear from the "legend" himself . glad to hear you like the plan as i think its similar/identical to some of the projects you'd done in the past. i read the negative reviews about level 10, but your endorsement (about sending 2 VBs there in the past) coupled to my converstation with patrick convinced me to give L10 a shot.

as far as the car, picked it up 6 or so months back. southern california 1 owner bone stock. still smells new. all the paperwork + 75k service + new michelin tires + extras sealed the deal. i was lucky.

not to start a forum debate , but patrick suggested the TC seal failure in these cars may start at the VB originated TCC lockup signal (a weak signal i think he said) but excessively high line pressure may accelerate seal failure (cause the seal to roll). again, guys, this is just my poor recollection of the conversation and is certainly not gospel. thus, patrick is going to adjust the VB mods to accomodate the MTM TCU requested higher line pressure and still reap the rewards of a mechanical reprogram.

i'll surely chime in with results. i've got the ECM with jerry, then will drive to see difference, then send TCM to MTM, drive and finally to L10. should all be done in 3-4 weeks.

and yes, 1st thing i did was buy a VAG COM. smart tool that thing is!

You have done homework. Its been months since I spoke of L10.

If the ECU is out....I would just go ahead and get the MTM TCU chip now. The higher load limits in the EC tune may overcome the stock TCU programming.

Interesting theory about the line pressure. L10 reduces it? but yet produces firmer shifts. I want to know more about this and maybe Tozo can chime in here.

Quote Originally Posted by hurdzan3 View Post
    hey dave good to hear from the "legend" himself . glad to hear you like the plan as i think its similar/identical to some of the projects you'd done in the past. i read the negative reviews about level 10, but your endorsement (about sending 2 VBs there in the past) coupled to my converstation with patrick convinced me to give L10 a shot.

as far as the car, picked it up 6 or so months back. southern california 1 owner bone stock. still smells new. all the paperwork + 75k service + new michelin tires + extras sealed the deal. i was lucky.

not to start a forum debate , but patrick suggested the TC seal failure in these cars may start at the VB originated TCC lockup signal (a weak signal i think he said) but excessively high line pressure may accelerate seal failure (cause the seal to roll). again, guys, this is just my poor recollection of the conversation and is certainly not gospel. thus, patrick is going to adjust the VB mods to accomodate the MTM TCU requested higher line pressure and still reap the rewards of a mechanical reprogram.

i'll surely chime in with results. i've got the ECM with jerry, then will drive to see difference, then send TCM to MTM, drive and finally to L10. should all be done in 3-4 weeks.

and yes, 1st thing i did was buy a VAG COM. smart tool that thing is!

I'm sure others will chime in, but you should send the tcu to hoppen at the same time. You don't want to drive with the ecu tune and no tcu tune.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Dammit, Dave beat me to it.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

dave/guys, thanks for your thoughts. what I was thinking was to drive the car part throttle for a day or so without MTM tune (read easy or well short of WOT), THEN send to Hoppen. still not advisable even with that approach?

also, didn't mean to miscommunicate. line pressure needs to be increased for sure, but what patrick was saying (if i remember correctly), was that as the VB ages, for some reason (he knows, I don't) the TCC lockup signal weakens. on the flip side, patricks concern was that if i go MTM and have VB "tuned" without first considering the added line pressure of the MTM, then my line pressure would be "double high" and that aside from the added heat, strain on pump and lost engine output, I further increase my chance of rolling a TC seal.
    that make any sense?

bottom line, i gathered that patrick thnks that the aging of the VB TCC signal is a much to blame for TC seal failure as is the design of the TC/seal itself.

and yes, it would be good to hear what tozo thinks about this hypothesis.

Congrats and Welcome to the Forum, Looking forward to your results on the upgrades your doing. we would love for you to update us on the progress.

Cheers!!
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

just sent TCU to MTM hoppen today . so much for patience!

guys, just wrapped up the level 10 VB install on friday. very, very pleased with the result and integrates well with the MTM TCU reflash (and eurocharge tune). there are countless paths to successful modifications listed on this forum and I'd like to add this one to the mix. again, many thanks to all that came before me, especially dave hall. stock rs6 is good, but ain't nothing compared to a tuned RS6!!! all the best, chris

guys, just wrapped up the level 10 VB install on friday. very, very pleased with the result and integrates well with the MTM TCU reflash (and eurocharge tune). there are countless paths to successful modifications listed on this forum and I'd like to add this one to the mix. again, many thanks to all that came before me, especially dave hall. stock rs6 is good, but ain't nothing compared to a tuned RS6!!! all the best, chris
    You are missing at least ONE thing(s)....

Photos and a VIN
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hi Everyone, my first post on rs6.com thanks guys for making this such a fun and educational forum for your fellow rs6 owners!

after some research (thanks to YOU guys) and discussion, i've decided on the following upgrades

1. eurocharged stage 1 ECM tune (jerry thornton really is a very nice guy). and special thanks to dave hall who i understand spent ALOT of time helping jerry perfect this tune. can't wait.

2. MTM tcu. seems to be the popular choice due to this torque management confusion on tuned cars

3. level 10 VB. spoke with patrick who, like jerry, seems like a nice and knowledgable guy. he'll tune the VB to make the mods of the MTM TCU so we keep a reasonable line pressure (read less heat) and firm up those shifts!

i'll let you guys know how it goes (if anyones interested). thanks again for all your help

I just the Eurocharged/MTM thing and was enjoying greatly til I rearended someone. Will probably add intercoolers now that the front end being rebuilt. Any ideas?

Apikol, wagners, evolution soon from what people say....I have the wagners with shrouds and grills, I have not tested IAT, well made and huge compared to stock
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

And sorry about your accident
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Very good info here. Can you elaborate on the feeling of the upshifts and downshifts? I Have the MTM chip and like it, but wondering if there is more I can do to extend the life of the tranny. However, as I do like the feel of the shifts now, I don't think I want them to be dramatically firmer. And, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what did the VB work cost.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Hey,

Thanks for the circle back and feedback. You're welcome and glad to help in any manner I could. Trust me when I say lots of hours went into this base file and your car should enjoy tens of thousands of happy fast miles. Enjoy Its also nice to see some positive feedback on L10. Back in the Supra Turbo days those guys were golden. I know my stuff was bulletproof.