Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: FMU Intake, group Buy

and NO I do NOT have any affiliation with FMU....I just like there Fab work
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    really? I mean, given design is diff then Apikol or dahlbacks, which both utilize open airfilters in engine bay and are constructed of metal-both have claimed to increase HP, u think the CF Box doesnt absorb alot of heat encompassing the whole manifold? I guess covertw12 will have to DYNO, cause my snow stage 3 is being installed as we speak, and I am pretty sure there is plenty of research and verified #'s that IAT temps drop with meth/water use...
    You lucky bastard...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I know Dave will kill me for this comment, but if I am not spending it on my cars, I would be investing in golf memberships, besides its either the paradox of thrift(which I dont adhere to) or its multiplier effect....
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

really? I mean, given design is diff then Apikol or dahlbacks, which both utilize open airfilters in engine bay and are constructed of metal-both have claimed to increase HP, u think the CF Box doesnt absorb alot of heat encompassing the whole manifold? I guess covertw12 will have to DYNO, cause my snow stage 3 is being installed as we speak, and I am pretty sure there is plenty of research and verified #'s that IAT temps drop with meth/water use...
    Sure they will drop with meth and water. That's not what I'm talking about tho, and not many folks use that. No OE auto maker that I know of, regardless of the cost of the car, uses metal for intake tubing anymore. Even the intake manifolds are composite plastic. The reason for that is mainly less absorption of heat. Now I don't doubt that this design will flow more air, assuming that there is a demand for more air than the stock box can handle.

When the car is moving, there isn't too much heat build up in the engine compartment. But in slow traffic or idling, heat builds, (heatsoak) and when you hit the gas, you get a gulp of really hot air, and then, fresh air gets heated as it goes through the metal piping, over and above ambient temps. Eventually the metal cools down as air continues to pass through it, but not that quickly.. So you may initially have some detonation and a reduction of timing until the IATs go down. The same applies to heat-soaked intercoolers. This is based on my own personal experience, and not on my RS6 in particular..

I am almost certain that the RS6 intake manifold is metal....I have had my airbox off at least 6 times, and it feels like metal to me

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    Sure they will drop with meth and water. That's not what I'm talking about tho, and not many folks use that. No OE auto maker that I know of, regardless of the cost of the car, uses metal for intake tubing anymore. Even the intake manifolds are composite plastic. The reason for that is mainly less absorption of heat. Now I don't doubt that this design will flow more air, assuming that there is a demand for more air than the stock box can handle.

When the car is moving, there isn't too much heat build up in the engine compartment. But in slow traffic or idling, heat builds, (heatsoak) and when you hit the gas, you get a gulp of really hot air, and the air gets heated as it goes through the metal piping over and above ambient temps. Eventually the metal cools down as air continues to pass through it, but not that fast.. So you may initially have some detonation and a reduction of timing until the IATs go down. This is based on my own personal experience, but not on my RS6 in particular..
    As we're simultaneously developing a couple different products for the RS6, we have been all over the place in terms of datalogging.

Next time we're out in the RS6, I'll make sure our guys log all the engine data from VAGCOM and I'll start posting the relevant numbers here.

I'll make sure that they keep an eye out for what you've stated above.

[edit] On our last run that we just finished, we recorded IATs (from whereever VAGCOM measures IATs) in the 3-9 degree Celsius range.
    http://www.fluidmotorunion.com

I am almost certain that the RS6 intake manifold is metal....I have had my airbox off at least 6 times, and it feels like metal to me
    LOL, i think he meant the intake tubing... Ive never seen a composite intake manifold...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    LOL, i think he meant the intake tubing... Ive never seen a composite intake manifold...
    Many intakes are composite these days. I'm guessing it has more to do with the ease and cost of manufacture versus heating of the intake air. The engineers will adjust the ECU coding t for whatever the IATs are once the engine is built, etc.

I'm fairly certain that the RS6 intake manifold is aluminum.

Carbon fiber, however, is probalby the most heat resistant (and possibly insulative) material in comparison to any other practical material used for an airbox. I can't see using a ceramic material, lol.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I don't think Porsche has used a metal intake manifold since the early 90's, my old '74 911 with the engine out of a '93 911 has a plastic intake manifold, I think on the 911 porsche swapped over in '92 or '93. I think my daughters new ('09) A4 has a plastic intake manifold too.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I guess it would make sense. Make the entire intake out of the intake spacer material....or some high density cfrp.

Sorry about the lack of updates this past week, guys. With our marketing guy leaving to pursue academic interests, I've been picking up his slack (meaning his massive inbox and list of clients) and have finally caught back up.

Either way, I found buyer #5 just over the weekend, so everything is hunky dory in that regard.

The five airboxes have finished being welded, the plates to secure the filters are almost done being welded and after that, all we have to do is wait for the carbon fiber cans to make it here from Italy and get the intakes powdercoated (not in that order, we'll send everything out for powdercoating as soon as it's all set to go).

I'll get some more pictures for you guys tomorrow. Just wanted to let you know that we're still moving, despite my lack of posts the past week, for which I apologize.

The cans arrived this week! And, within a day, all the welding and fitment is finished with the intakes! So now we have unpainted intakes, clamps, silicone boots, and the cans.

All that remains is a quick trip to the powdercoater, one last fitment check, then boxing and shipping! While the intakes are at the powdercoater (the process should take roughly a week to complete, since we have so many parts to powdercoat and they're the most reputable place anywhere near us), AJ and I are going to finish working on the directions, which will include pictures. Aside from the clamps, only two nuts + bolts will be needed and included with the set (as the mounting plates bolt up to the coilpack bolts using the stock bolts) to hook up this little ditty we decided to add while waiting for the cans.

It will connect with the nut+bolt to each side of the mounting plate. The inner portion of the cross-member will be etched with your Fluid MotorUnion part number (001-005). It doesn't provide any extra structural rigidity, it just adds to the great aesthetics of our design. So if you want to put it on your desk instead, we won't stop ya. And with all the black going on in the engine bay, you won't even notice the slats if you don't install the cross-member.

Obviously, as the time draws near for shipping of the intakes, so too does the time draw near to submit the remaining amount of the total ($1100 total - $150 deposit = $950 remaining). I'm not going to start asking yet, since the powdercoating stage is just beginning, but keep it in mind for the next week or so.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know on here or over e-mail: andrew [at] fluidmotorunion [dot] com

Did you ever get that data log that shows if there is a raise in IATs with the introduction of the metal hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    Did you ever get that data log that shows if there is a raise in IATs with the introduction of the metal hardware?
    The IAT sensor is in the intakes manifold, so those readings are going to be based off intercoolers, for the most part. But may also help do to the fact or more air can travel across the aluminum intake manifold and possibly help control temps

Nice! Can't wait drop this on the new heart.

Speedtrapped,
    Any dyno numbers yet, or are waiting for the intake before you test it? I am REALLY interested to see how your beast turns out!!

me too! I spoke with my mechani today, they fell behind on a range rover engine swap, amonsgt other jobs. My RS6 wont start till weds or thursday(not to mention, his wife is scheduled for c section midweek) So i dont have the new heart transplant yet.....

Whatever happen to this? Lol? I just read thru all 8 pages and then BAM it ended!

You guys ever get the intakes?

Dyno numbers?????

Im interested in one in the future if it was worth it...
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit