Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Oil Recommendations

Audi recommends a 10k interval, but it depends on your driving style/climate.

When in doubt you can always purchase oil from one of the many online retailers (ecs, world impex, ect)

I stick to the Audi recommended oil G052167M2 (Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel Oil 5W40) formerly known as G052167A2.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

My car was on scheduled oil changes with previous owner, and I have evidence of sludge build up now.. so I'm going to do 2 to 3k for a while then stick to 5k.. then also will do a Seafoam treatment next change.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I bought the car with a fresh Pentosin 5w-40, 505.01 change. My first self change I used Lubro Moly Hi Tech 5w-40, 505.01. I noticed a small change in exhaust note and the common lifter noise for the first 0.5 seconds at startup. These noises were not noticable on the Pentosin. Same weight at 5w-40. It sounds like an indication that the oil is not lubricating as well. I haven't looked up the HTHS numbers, but my subjective data gives the nod to the Pentosin.

With that said, I'm going to try either Redline or BND next. I won't use Lubro Moly again in this application. The lifter noise makes me cringe, even if there's no damage/substantial wear.

Mark, what's your flavor of transmission oil? Where do you get your Redline?
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

I'm using Redline D4 in the transmission. I mail order my oil from either Racerspartswholesale of a truck place http://www.stylintrucks.com/ as they always send me online 10~15% off coupons. Brazil where have you been? RS6 meet on the 7th at Feierabend? There will be at least 4 cars, maybe more.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I've been overwhelmed with school and work lately... 100hrs per week between the two.

I wish I could make the meet on Wednesday. I have a final on the 8th, so I need to study that night. After the 15th, I'll be done for the semester and should have some time free. I'm planning to do the fluids in the RS and some stuff on the S4 and Lotus during the break.

Hope you're well, we need to make a beernight again soon.
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

same issue here...because i didn't want to use Castrol i have changed it to Mobil 0w-40 505.00, i am not pretty sure how good is this, my mechanic said it's better than the OEM Castrol, which after oly 4k came out really black and only 3/4 or less of what Audi pored in at the last service, so i don't think Castrol is that good...is Mobil 0w-40 ok for this engine?

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    same issue here...because i didn't want to use Castrol i have changed it to Mobil 0w-40 505.00, i am not pretty sure how good is this, my mechanic said it's better than the OEM Castrol, which after oly 4k came out really black and only 3/4 or less of what Audi pored in at the last service, so i don't think Castrol is that good...is Mobil 0w-40 ok for this engine?
    Any 505.01 oil is much better than average. Castrol is a great choice along with others. What you described is not normal. Your oil shouldn't be black in a normal interval, castrol or otherwise. Also that's way too much oil to use for these motors. I'll go anywhere from 5000 to 7500 miles on oil and I swear it seems not an ounce gets lost. I know it does have to use a little, but it is so minuscule. I suspect there could be another issue causing you to go through this much oil.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

so then Mobil 1 0w-40 it's not the right oil i guess, judging by the fact that does not meet the VW rating of 505.01....regarding my black and not so much oil, according to the receipts last service on the car was made at 66k and i have changed it at 70k, i have looked well under the car and so did my mechanic, there are no oil leaks whatsoever, the inter-coolers are clean as well, only the passenger side one had insignificant oil traces, took down the pipe to get access to the oil filter and there is nothing serious, just regular, so the only options would be: they didn't pored in the correct amount of oil or the engine is burning oil which i doubt it as firstly the exhaust pipes are very clean and secondly i guess i would have seen something...i will get to see better after this oil change with Mobil 1. However, should i go and flush the Mobil 1 and get the Castrol 505.01 or is it ok to drive it for a couple of thousand miles??

IMO you are ok for a couple thousand miles. You should always use the 505.01 as recommended buy Audi. Keep an eye on the level. You will know going forward if the previous fill was just not enough, or if it's going somewhere else.

Also, any specific reason your using 0w40? I don't know much about your climate, but I assume its warm. Audi recommends 5w40.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

the only reason i went ahead with Mobil is because the mechanic said it's better than Castrol and i said let's give it a try, though i pointed him that it's not the Audi recommended oil rating....it's a hot climate here starting from May until October when it can reach up to 120F and even beyond, between October and May it's quite adorable, the temperatures drop to even 60F and below!

I would say the Mobil 1 0w40 is definitely not the right oil for your car, especially with the hot temps. If you have a selection of Mobil 1 in your area I would go with the 10W-40 or the Diesel 5w-40 but Mobil 1 would not be my first choice. If it's available in your area how about the Pentosin or Lubrimoly 5w-40 oils. You will see in the post above by Brazil that he at least seemed to notice an improvement with the Pentosin over the Lubrimoly but in either case both of those oils show better specs than Mobil 1 in their product data sheets.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

here is the answer i got from Quattro GMBH regarding oil:

Breiter, Hanns (N/VQ-52) Hanns.Breiter@audi.de to me
    show details 2:02 PM (21 hours ago)

Dear Mr. Turcu,

thank you very much for your message. Most oil companies have been phasing out engine oil according to VW specification 50501 because of the low demand. This oil was once meant to be used in heavy duty Diesel engines but due to its outstanding shear stability under high temperature we decided to use it for the RS 6 V8 twin turbo engine. The main reason for this move was the position of the turbo chargers which are pretty far located from the engine block and therefore from the oil supplying pump. After driving under extreme conditions, e.g. with high speed or under high load for a longer period of time and very high outside temperature, the oil pressure could drop to low levels when going back to idle.
    Theoretically, engine oil to VW specification 50500 is not able to compensate the attributes of VW 50501 but the viscosity range of 0W-40 will stabilize oil pressure when the engine and turbo chargers are extremely hot. Hence, potential engine damage is not really an issue if VW 50500 is being used and there is no necessity to do drain this oil immediately.

The official substitute of VW specification 50501 is actually VW 50400, even it is mostly available in 5W-30, for example but without official endorsement MOBIL 1 ESP FORMULA 5W-30. We recommend to use VW 50400 when the next engine oil service is due (every 15000 km).

Kind Regards & Merry Christmas
    Hanns Breiter
    quattro GmbH
    Kundendienst

quattro GmbH
    N/VQ-52
    Postfach 1144
    74148 Neckarsulm

Telefon +49-7132-31-8547
    BIK +49-7132-31-73050
    Mobil +49-172-5929939
    Fax +49-7132-31-88777

mailto:hanns.breiter@audi.de
    Sitz/Domicile: Neckarsulm
    Registergericht/Court of Registry: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
    HRB Nr./Commercial Register No.: 106821
    Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Werner Frowein
    Wichtiger Hinweis: Die vorgenannten Angaben werden jeder E-Mail automatisch hinzugefügt und lassen keine Rückschlüsse auf den Rechtscharakter der E-Mail zu.
    Important Notice: The above information is automatically added to this e-mail. This addition does not constitute a representation that the content of this e-mail is legally relevant and/or is intended to be legally binding upon quattro GmbH.

Good info.

Fantastic info. Thank you for posting that up...

So, from the horse's mouth: 505.01 is the official spec, and 504.00 is the official replacement spec...

I'm going to run with my 5w-40 for the moment, and at the next change will switch to a 504.00 spec oil...
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

You should try BND QuantumBlue, In my very authorized opinion is better than all the rest.

Completely agree, Jimmy Joe. Realize that most of the current oils are low in ZDDP or other lubricants that are best for preserving the engine but may lead to early demise of the catalytic converters. BND Quantum Blue has more than 4 times the amount of phosphorus in an analyzed sample of used oil than would be found in other similar oils. It comes 7w-37.5 for our cars, and with your name on the label! Quantum Blue with ACES IV in the tank, and you're running strong with 100 octane tune on premium gas. Search for more information. Brian told me he sells to over 100 RS6 owners and that is only by word of mouth, and people happy with the products. Just order well in advance of your need, it can take a while for your order to get to you...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.