Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official! Audi RS 3 Sportback

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Based on everything we know about these cars it the RS3 that on the face of it actually offers value for money.
    This statement depends on what you mean by value. but based on this certainly the M1 is the one offering the less, for shure not the 911 GTS, for the Cayman less obvious.

Now all the above mentionned models will be selling well for shure, the market is there no doubt, so I must admit that simplistically said everyone is happy

Quote Originally Posted by rs-6 View Post
    1. When will we see the PDF-pricelist and will the car be on the configurator
    2. When will the car magazines and blogs drive the testcar (which were produced already a while ago, I'm reffering to Qisha's post)
    3. What is the Nordschleife lap-time, will it be as fast as the 1 M Coupe?
    4. Will audi offer more 'decent' colours like Dark Blue, or will we have to take it in Black if we don't want to drive around too flashy
    5. There's still some uncertainty about the Haldex, is it now exactly the same as in the TT-RS or is is slightly tweaked (that's what is rumoured on other MB's)
    6. Is the car still going to be limited to 2700 pieces?

Please help us out of this misery, Qi...God! .
    The questions still remain after these 2 pages of discussion. (question 3 is partly answered by comparing the 1 M Coupé with the TT-RS, they wil be about as fast around the ring...)

Cannot help too tired writing...

Qisha ???

Having read several comments going both ways here, I have to contribute too.

The RS3 looks quite genuine in its exterior design, and the interior is as superb as we already know from A3/S3. But it simply cannot match the M1 for sporting appeal. Period. The M1 looks brutal, much more compact and dynamic than the RS3 and also any M3. Interior wise, it falls short of the Audi mark, but it's still pretty good.

I've owned two S3's, and already these had a slight tendency towards understeer. Just lika any Audi. I don't have the weight figures for the 2,0T and 2,5T engines, but I'd be surprised if the RS3 understeers less. And the narrower rear wheels to me is an indication of an inherent weight distribution problem. Therefore, I reckon the RS3 will not only seem less sporty, it will also feel less sporty.

So although this is an Audi fan-site, I really don't see how anyone could dismiss the M1 as not being able to contend seriously with both the RS3 and the TT-RS (with similar understeer problems). In fact, you'd have to be a pretty one-track minded (not to say narrow minded) Audiologist to do so.

I for my part would have already placed an order for the RS3, had it come as a 3dr too. I could then have lived with it's shortcomings chassis wise, simply because it would have matched the M1 for looks great. And practicality is a concern with the TT-RS. As it is, though, the Sportback version is simply TOO compromised. I also suffer from a peculiar and very annoying hang-up, that makes me hate tiny front doors. A proper sports car doesn't have those. Oh, and I don't give a rat's about Audi history of RS cars being estates. Sc**w that!

So it's TT-RS or M1. Traction and predictability will probably seal the deal for Audi, since those are crucial charateristics in many of our driving conditions here in Sweden as well.....

RB

I didn't notice anyone saying that the M1 wouldn't feel sporty, whether it 'feels' sportier than either the TTRS or RS3 greatly depends on what makes a car feel sportier to you. I'm guessing that you prefer to control the balance of the car through the use of the tail, means having a rwd. Buying a quattro and you lose that control for the most part because the awd system takes that control out of your hands, that's why they feel like they understeer more yet in reality they corner just as hard as anything else and they all lose front end grip at roughly the same speed, I doubt the RS3 and M1 will be any different. So what you lose in throttle balancing of the chassis going into the corner you make up for in traction coming out of the corner.

Different strokes for different folk. The argument has moved on from which chassis makes the sportier option to what offers better value. With the M1 you get a nice bodykit, bigger alloys, a LSD and a slight boost in power and that is it, with the RS3 you get a nice bodykit, bigger alloys, a reworked awd and a completely different engine with a huge power hike, plus much more standard kit as well.

No contest in my opinion, the RS3 represents far more value for money.

Gentlemen, start Configurating! http://konfigurator.audi.de/entry

a bit dissapointed though. No 'schiebedach' available, only 3 mettalic colours, nothing decent like Dark Blue available... Can anyone give more information on the Audi Exclusive possibilities (both interior and exterior). If I would take the Exclusive lackierung, what are the posibilities. The same for the 'lederausstatung audi exclusive' without the 'schalensitze'(I make too much long trips for those), can I then choose the colour of the leather or is it just a variation in a certain fixed colour-combination like f. eg. Black and red.

As far as the UK is concerned, the RS3 comes with a very high level of standard specification and a price tag that puts it on a par with a fully-loaded VW Golf R. In my book, that is value for money.

We don't really know how well the RS3 will perform relative to the BMW M1. It is quicker to 100 kph (62 mph) and as RacerBice points out, its front-wheel drive origins are hard to disguise and are likely to make the RS3 understeer on the limit. However, let's not forget that that FWD cars can be much quicker than RWD cars because they allow you to approach corners faster and brake later. If you do find yourself understeering, all you have to do is back-off and the nose will correct itself. Then, as you accelerate when exiting the corner, with any luck you'll still be ahead of a RWD equivalent. Such dynamics are not exactly fun or involving in terms of drifting the car Japanese style, but they get the job done. As I get tired of saying here and elsewhere, the advantage of the S3 and now RS3's AWD set-up is that you can drive really fast all year round. That will be the RS3's edge.

All that said, no, the RS3 isn't a perfect RS car. I would have liked to have seen the same wheels front and rear with proper blistered wheel arches. They've clearly made this car on a budget. But it's got what really matters: that 5-cylinder engine and a 7-speed DSG box. That makes it wunderbar in my book and a better bet than the Golf R, which i also had my eye on.

If this car doesn't turn out to be as special as I'd hoped, I'll swap it for an S4 Avant or maybe even the 3.0 litre version of the new A6.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    As far as the UK is concerned, the RS3 comes with a very high level of standard specification and a price tag that puts it on a par with a fully-loaded VW Golf R. In my book, that is value for money.

We don't really know how well the RS3 will perform relative to the BMW M1. It is quicker to 100 kph (62 mph) and as RacerBice points out, its front-wheel drive origins are hard to disguise and are likely to make the RS3 understeer on the limit. However, let's not forget that that FWD cars can be much quicker than RWD cars because they allow you to approach corners faster and brake later. If you do find yourself understeering, all you have to do is back-off and the nose will correct itself. Then, as you accelerate when exiting the corner, with any luck you'll still be ahead of a RWD equivalent. Such dynamics are not exactly fun or involving in terms of drifting the car Japanese style, but they get the job done. As I get tired of saying here and elsewhere, the advantage of the S3 and now RS3's AWD set-up is that you can drive really fast all year round. That will be the RS3's edge.
    Though the M1 is probably o the radar of some potential RS3 buyers it's coupe design will limit it's appeal to only a few but I would have thought that these two will shadow each other in the performance arrena with one having strengths in some areas and the other having strengths in others with no clear winner. I reckon the RS3's main rivals are in-house from the Golf R and the S3 but as you rightly said the Golf appears expensive compared to the more potent and more aggressive looking RS3 and the S3 doesn't fare much better.

Understeer, if you are already considering the RS3 then awd is a priority, probably because of the road conditions you face on a regular basis caused by the weather or you happen to prefer it's handling style, after all it's very predictable at the limit with few hidden surprises other than the understeer already mentioned. But it's got bags of advantages in it's traction that allows you back on the power well before the corner opens out, this traction that makes more of it's potential available in adverse weathers and the predictability of it's grip.

All that said, no, the RS3 isn't a perfect RS car. I would have liked to have seen the same wheels front and rear with proper blistered wheel arches. They've clearly made this car on a budget. But it's got what really matters: that 5-cylinder engine and a 7-speed DSG box. That makes it wunderbar in my book and a better bet than the Golf R, which i also had my eye on.
    I don't think there is a car out there that someone couldn't pick faults with and the RS3 is no different, but what it is is an honest performer, for the money you get an old but stylist design, a chassis that has few highlights but equally no major failings, offers a cracking engine and transmission, including brakes and will perform impressively against some major players that will cost considerable more.

If this car doesn't turn out to be as special as I'd hoped, I'll swap it for an S4 Avant or maybe even the 3.0 litre version of the new A6.
    It is A6 3.0TDI money, yes it's nowhere near as sporty or as quick but the A6 is pure class outside and in and equally well loaded. Tough call.

News for those of us in the UK.

A select few dealers will be ordering their cars in the next two weeks. Customer orders will be taken for a limited time from 6th Jan. Production for 2011-2012 will be a limited run of 500 and deliveries will commence in the summer - that includes the demonstrators.

So, if you want one, nows the time to put that deposit down.

I think I recall saying something along the lines of, 'what makes a great performance car special is a special engine' well if sound has anything to do with that opinion then Audi have scored a bull's eye with the RS3 while BMW scored a duck with the M1 Coupe.

You really need to skip the first 5 minutes or so, but from about then on. Oh dear. It might be quick and it might handle brilliantly but it sure sounds like an engine that hasn't reached puberty.

May suggest something to any BMW employees that are listening, grow it's engine a pair of balls like the RS3.

Just read the rs3 did the ring in 8:09. So...opinions?

source? If it's true I wonder how they made it as quick as the tt-rs(because the TT is lighter)

Quote Originally Posted by rs-6 View Post
    source? If it's true I wonder how they made it as quick as the tt-rs(because the TT is lighter)
    Audi's Facebook status buddy, just read it yesterday after work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164345_174242212606&.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	10693

Just beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by JavierNuvolari View Post
    Just read the rs3 did the ring in 8:09. So...opinions?
    Can you verify this? Anyone? Qisha?

That would put it at the same time as the TT-RS, RS4 and M6. It would also be faster than the 1M Coupe and M5.

Other Models Compared:
    911 Carrera S PDK (997.5) - 7:50
    Audi R8 4.2 - 8:04
    Cayman S - 8:04 (by Walter Röhrl)
    E90/E92 M3 - 8:05
    E63 M6 - 8:09
    Audi RS4 - 8:09
    Audi TT-RS - 8:09

BMW 1 series M coupe - 8:12
    E60 M5 - 8:13
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 8:13
    Mercedes C63 AMG PP - 8:13
    Corvette C6 - 8:15
    Cayman S - 8:16 (Sport Auto)
    Porsche Boxter S (987.5) - 8:18
    Lexus IS-F - 8:18
    2010 VW Golf R - 8:23
    Audi S5 (2007) - 8:26
    Audi TT-S (2008) - 8:29
    HKS786

Quote Originally Posted by HKS786 View Post
    Can you verify this? Anyone? Qisha?

That would put it at the same time as the TT-RS, RS4 and M6. It would also be faster than the 1M Coupe and M5.

Other Models Compared:
    911 Carrera S PDK (997.5) - 7:50
    Audi R8 4.2 - 8:04
    Cayman S - 8:04 (by Walter Röhrl)
    E90/E92 M3 - 8:05
    E63 M6 - 8:09
    Audi RS4 - 8:09
    Audi TT-RS - 8:09

BMW 1 series M coupe - 8:12
    E60 M5 - 8:13
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 8:13
    Mercedes C63 AMG PP - 8:13
    Corvette C6 - 8:15
    Cayman S - 8:16 (Sport Auto)
    Porsche Boxter S (987.5) - 8:18
    Lexus IS-F - 8:18
    2010 VW Golf R - 8:23
    Audi S5 (2007) - 8:26
    Audi TT-S (2008) - 8:29
    Sorry buddy, like i said I read it on Audi's facebook status this friday I believe. It impresses me the brutal difference between the TT-S and TT-RS.

http://www.facebook.com/audi there it is my friend.

Saludos everyone!