Thread: Strange Wear Pattern on Rears

Strange Wear Pattern on Rears

All,

Just throwing this out there. It's been suggested I do an alignment, which I think I should. But, here's the issue...

The right and left (in particular) rear tires are showing accelerated wear on the outside (2-2.5") of the tread. Usually, I'd think this is a camber or caster problem, but I don't believe there are camber or caster adjustments. I've also had it suggested to me that it's an over-inflation problem, but the pressures are good, and I'd think it's more of an under-inflation problem, if anything (but that would show up as wear on the inside of the tread, also, which is not wearing as fast). Part of me is putting it down to a car with quattro.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

CW
    Last edited by CornersWell; November 19th, 2010 at 00:56.

Has the car had the new DRC installed and is it sitting high? The higher extension of the suspension would probably cause positive camber.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Has the car had the new DRC installed and is it sitting high? The higher extension of the suspension would probably cause positive camber.
    This was my immediate thought... as I am +1 in the rear and need to get that fixed too...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yes, I agree.

And if the alignment was not done after the said DRC repair then toe is out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post

In addition to what I said earlier I would also check the alignment as DHall1 said as too much toe-in could cause the outsides to wear. Usually you will see a little bit of feathering at the edge from the toe-in but it very from tire brand to brand and may be tough to see. So definitley ride height and toe checks. If you measure the car and the height is within spec then it must be the toe.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Yes, new DRC (maybe 18+ months ago, though). And, rear is riding high (IMO, by 5/8"). I also thought toe-in. So, it's all a possibility. Dealer, however, is strangely silent on the ride height. Typical...

Thanks, guys. Guess I have a stop first thing in the morning tomorrow!

CW

Glad to see this thread as i'm having the same issue and also think the rear of my car sits to high. Looks like I'll be stopping at the dealership as well.

Just closing the loop on this...

Here are photos of the Left and Right Rear tires. You can clearly see the wear on outer third of the tread pattern. However, the Left is accelerated. Alignment showed the toe-in and the camber on the Left Rear was off.

CW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Left Rear..jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	10550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Right Rear..jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	10551  

Wow! Your toe must have been drastically out of spec. The handling has to feel much better now? When the car is moving under it's own power that is.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's