Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS5 | M3 [Autocar]

RS5 | M3 [Autocar]

Eat. Breathe. Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by inF View Post
    Buddie, where have you been 'till now?
    It's been already discussed in here: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19...va-2010/page50

Yes, it's a great vid though. Certainly set the forums on fire - the BMW lovers are crying from the rooftops! LOL
    My very first Audi... 2011 RS5, Phantom Black, 20" Titanium Alloys... sweet!
    My other car's a Harley Davidson

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroRisk View Post
    Yes, it's a great vid though. Certainly set the forums on fire - the BMW lovers are crying from the rooftops! LOL
    It's probably one of the few occasions where a course has played to the RS5's strengths. Usually these comparisons have taken place on smooth traditional race tracks that play into the hands of the M3.

Though there's still no denying that the M3 would be more fun.

The latest M3 is undoubtedly a fine car as the last one was. I ought to know, because I owned an E46 M3 for several years. I even managed to drive from London to Rome in 17 hours. I did this during the summer months when the roads were mostly dry and flat.

In winter, the M3 came badly unstuck. The rear end would lose traction very quickly. I'd go as far as to say that driving an M3 in snow is probably dangerous without chains. One terrifying drive converted me to Audi and the RS4. Although my experience with this car was much more limited, its winter pace was nothing short of astonishing. You didn't need chains unless the weather was really atrocious. But it did have an achilles heel, which was fuel consumption and tank capacity. On a fast run, you could find yourself stopping every 90 minutes. (Slight exaggeration, but it wasn't good.)

The new RS5 takes the RS4 canvas and paints a masterpiece. It improves fuel economy and range. It also provides better better handling and traction. In my opinion, it is also much better built with higher quality materials. So, even in the few areas where the M3 eclipses it, i.e. in a straight line on a dry road, for my money the RS5 is a better all-round, all-year car. What infuriates me about the RS5 is Audi trying to beat BMW at its own game. Why bother? I much preferred the extra practicality and discreet presence of an Avant rather than a 2-door coupe. The RS5 would have been fine if Audi had released an RS4 too, but for some reason it was happy to see Mercedes-Benz scoop the honours for the fastest 3-Series segment wagon with the C63. I hope that whoever was responsible for this decision has now been banished to Skoda. Fortunately, Audi has seen the error of its ways and an RS4 is now under development.

In a world of increasing petrol prices and green conscientiousness, the only thing not to like about the RS5 is its naturally aspirated V8. A V8 twin-turbo would offer more power and greater economy. However, turbo lag may no longer be an issue, but it certainly isn't a problem with the V8 4.2 litre engine.

Looks like more and more lap times popping out where the RS5 beats the M3.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/laptimes/4cdb91071ab18.html

Both done almost at very same time...
    Cheers

Further to previous post, A Video from the same track where it's shown who's the Boss!

http://www.wat.tv/video/essai-gt-mer...yx_2flv9_.html

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    Looks like more and more lap times popping out where the RS5 beats the M3.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/laptimes/4cdb91071ab18.html

Both done almost at very same time...
    Cheers
    It beat the M3 by 0.1s round Bedford Autodrome in the latest issue of Evo too but they didn't like the steering feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    It beat the M3 by 0.1s round Bedford Autodrome in the latest issue of Evo too but they didn't like the steering feel.
    That's quite enough for me! I have yet to see a publication where an Audi beats a BMW in steering feel, and it doesn't make it a wrong car since you really have to love and own an Audi
    to really appreciate a steering feel of it and learn that it's not bad at all, but it has its own flavor and charisma...
    Cheers

Further to previous post, A Video from the same track where it's shown who's the Boss!

http://www.wat.tv/video/essai-gt-mer...yx_2flv9_.html
    Thanks Darkop.

Damn - it's times like these I wish I wasn't an ignorant Australian who can only speak English! Anyone care to give me an executive summary of what they were saying???

Disappointing showing in CAR magazine

Quote Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
    The top of the mag cover reads;
    "Audi RS5|Flattened by the M3, C63 and Lexus...

Well since you want to be spoiled here are the rankings. They RIPPED the Audi RS5 and can't believe the people that signed off on the R8 signed off on the RS5.

1. M3 (5 stars)- As tested-61,630 base-53,275
    2. C63 (5 stars)-As tested-64,025 base-57,105
    3. IS F (4 stars)-As tested-57,480-base-52,925
    4. RS5 (3 stars)-As tested-74,510-base-57,480

(price in pounds, note at the end of the test CAR lists the base price with the specs, while the as tested price is in the article, odd)

Basically the M3 is the best driving car here but they also feel the interior is well done (must be a Euro thing). They love the C63's power and straight forwardness (no adjustable anything). They love the IS F for being "more than the sum of its parts" but don't like the interior and the felt the ride is good for the track, not the road.

The RS5 they felt wasn't well balanced, didn't steer well, wasn't a fan of the ride and wasn't engaging with too many electronics and systems. They did like the high quality interior.

Summary;

"Put simply it (M3) simply still the one that puts the biggest grin on your face and both Pulman and I score it highest. The Merc can hold its head high and there's still much to recommend the third placed Lexus. For Audi, however, it's back to the drawing board.

Article is not online yet.
    07' Boxster S
    10' S550 Sport
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroRisk View Post
    Thanks Darkop.

Damn - it's times like these I wish I wasn't an ignorant Australian who can only speak English! Anyone care to give me an executive summary of what they were saying???
    Of course....all the time you support my poor english Happy to be helpfull !

So....out of the usual qualties (fun with the BMW, power with the C63....) the 2 most important things are:

- the RS5 is the winner on the track (of course each one tried seperately) 2. M3 3. C63

- the driver of the M3 says he can not do aything on the straight lines, where he feels the RS5 more powerfull, and of course the C63 well ahead.

I'm not sure about that, but the red calipers on the C63 makes me think about the 487HP performance pack version...

Thank you Ritchy - much appreciated!

Nice to hear of another positive review for the RS5 too.

That's quite enough for me! I have yet to see a publication where an Audi beats a BMW in steering feel, and it doesn't make it a wrong car since you really have to love and own an Audi
    to really appreciate a steering feel of it and learn that it's not bad at all, but it has its own flavor and charisma...
    Cheers
    I haven't seen the EVO test yet but I wonder has it too been tested with the standard 19" instead of the 20" that almost all European tests have been done with? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen the same disappointment in it's ride when equipped with the smaller wheels nor have we seen the Competition package M3 actually beat it on the track with the smaller diameter rims.

Steering feel is something you get use to when driving an Audi, it isn't as good as most other stuff, partly to do with the engine placement, partly to do with the front wheels also doing some of the work of the engine but frankly it's a small price to pay for a car which gives tremendous traction out of corners, superior confidence to push harder and the added safety in adverse conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I haven't seen the EVO test yet but I wonder has it too been tested with the standard 19" instead of the 20" that almost all European tests have been done with? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen the same disappointment in it's ride when equipped with the smaller wheels nor have we seen the Competition package M3 actually beat it on the track with the smaller diameter rims.

Steering feel is something you get use to when driving an Audi, it isn't as good as most other stuff, partly to do with the engine placement, partly to do with the front wheels also doing some of the work of the engine but frankly it's a small price to pay for a car which gives tremendous traction out of corners, superior confidence to push harder and the added safety in adverse conditions.
    I agree. For the record, the Evo test was with 20in wheels.

I thought Audi were now placing the engine behind the front axle with the newer cars like the RS5???
    Last edited by Z07; November 14th, 2010 at 11:13. Reason: Had a question

I agree. For the record, the Evo test was with 20in wheels.

I thought Audi were now placing the engine behind the front axle with the newer cars like the RS5???
    If their RS5 had the 20" then how did they find the ride?

Also you are right about where the engine is now, but I think it's the axle that moved forward instead of the engine moving back and I believe they repositioned the steering rake in an effort to improve feel, but I don't notice much of a different though the cars are less prone to understeer so they are doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If their RS5 had the 20" then how did they find the ride?

Also you are right about where the engine is now, but I think it's the axle that moved forward instead of the engine moving back and I believe they repositioned the steering rake in an effort to improve feel, but I don't notice much of a different though the cars are less prone to understeer so they are doing something right.
    They didn't like the ride or the steering feel but then there's still a lot of capability there.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo
    The RS5's ride never feels settled, which is a disappointment because the damping of the RS4 was its outstanding feature.

They didn't like the ride or the steering feel but then there's still a lot of capability there.
    I'm not a lover of increasing rim diameter because of this very problem. Anyhow the 19" are still a pretty rim.