Thread: WTB: RS6 climate control module.

WTB: RS6 climate control module.

Hi all,

I'm looking to restore a few buttons on my climate control unit (cuz I'm anal), so I'm looking for a working or non-working climate control unit with it's buttons still intact and 100%. I am sure many of the c5 a6 cars are compatible other than a few options, so If you, or someone you know has one for sale let me know. I've checked Ebay but most have their buttons peeling from improper care.

thanks for looking

Adrian
    - '03 c5 RS6 (Unitronic tune, K&N's, cat-back exhaust, 19" rs4 wheels)
    - '05 c6 A6 3.2L (for sale) ,

Just check Ebay for a A6 unit for the buttons. The A6 unit will only work if the suffix on the part # is the same but the buttons will work if they look like the same head front.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

yeah I noticed that most looked the same less a few functions like heated seats etc....but the buttons I actually need look the same... but the only issue is that their pictures suck pretty badly and it's hard to tell if they're clean or starting to wear as well.... last thing I'd want to do is buy a CC unit and for it to have bad buttons too lol

Another rule of thumb is only buy a unit that has the "Auto recirc" button. The units that have an "Off" button do not have "soft touch" type buttons and will not match the RS 6 buttons.

Ask me how I know!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

The plus and minus buttons on mine are badly worn, but luckily for me (I guess), the unit seems to be going bad, so I'll have to submit a warranty claim and see if I can get it replaced.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    Another rule of thumb is only buy a unit that has the "Auto recirc" button. The units that have an "Off" button do not have "soft touch" type buttons and will not match the RS 6 buttons.

Ask me how I know!
    I'm making sure that the unit looks identical....I have found a few I'm just waiting for an answer ... thanks for the heads up...

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    The plus and minus buttons on mine are badly worn, but luckily for me (I guess), the unit seems to be going bad, so I'll have to submit a warranty claim and see if I can get it replaced.
    it's weird how the buttons just peel......comparing to my C6, the C5 seems to have poor quality controls

I think it was 02 or 03 when Audi went to the Soft-touch buttons. I had the same peeling issues in my 03 A4 as well.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I'm looking at one from an Allroad right now....it seems to look identical , if it doesn't end up working, I'll just retrofit the buttons... pretty sure it's an 01 Allroad CC-unit

Without looking it up I think the suffix for the RS6 is either "AX" or "AL".
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by >>RS6TT View Post
    it's weird how the buttons just peel......
    Luckily mine are intact... One reason they peel is that people use petrochemical-containing detailing products on them, which acts like a solvent, chemically breaking down the soft coating. Never, ever use anything to "clean" or "detail" these surfaces.

I did have a dreaded white scratch around the ring of my headlamp switch, I was able to touch it up with, wait for it, bedliner in a can -- I sprayed some out into a cup and touched up with a fine brush, worked like a charm, almost imperceptible.

These control units come up all the time on eBay, just wait for a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Luckily mine are intact... One reason they peel is that people use petrochemical-containing detailing products on them, which acts like a solvent, chemically breaking down the soft coating. Never, ever use anything to "clean" or "detail" these surfaces.

I did have a dreaded white scratch around the ring of my headlamp switch, I was able to touch it up with, wait for it, bedliner in a can -- I sprayed some out into a cup and touched up with a fine brush, worked like a charm, almost imperceptible.

These control units come up all the time on eBay, just wait for a good one.
    That, and hand sanitizer, which is almost entirely made up of alcohol. Not allowed in my car.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Yeah, that's definitely a killer.....you should always use a damp cloth/micro-fibre to clean these areas..... I guess some people just assume they can spray whatever to get the grime off...eventually, the buttons WILL peel....

I'm just waiting for an EBAY seller to get back to me to see..... if the unit doesn't work, I'll just swap the buttons....been there, done that :P