Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the actual % loss from crank to wheel?

what is the actual % loss from crank to wheel?

So post dyno, just curious I was told originally that from crank to awd lose 20%, but add tip and likely lose 25%, anyone have definitive answer on this?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Never been able to find a definitive answer on this either. Anyone? Conventional wisdom is like you said, tiptronic AWD Audi = 25%.

Makes me want to disconnect my front drive axles sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Never been able to find a definitive answer on this either. Anyone? Conventional wisdom is like you said, tiptronic AWD Audi = 25%.

Makes me want to disconnect my front drive axles sometimes.
    Ya, I usually figure 25% loss. It varies by dyno though.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

That's the % I have entered in my dynolicious app for iPhone ;-).
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I haven't found this answer so I will ask it now:

Aside from the fatherland, has ANYONE performed a Engine dyno (engine/turbo/ecu/intercooler/etc) on the RS6 motor?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ya, I usually figure 25% loss. It varies by dyno though

25% seems way too high.. perhaps on a mustang dyno; i'd say 15-18% -using the dynapack dynomometer

Everyone is going to be different. Back in my EVO days, 5 identical stock EVO's running on a dyno on the same day produced results anywhere from 190 to 220HP. You would have to peg each car separately - on a dyno and on a stand to get true numbers. However, we used 25% loss as a rule of thumb. But then why would anyone care about crank HP? It's what at the wheels that matters.
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

Yes, but our tc's are built to handle I think 550 coming off the crank, so we want to be safe in that respect to prolong the life of the tc.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

25% is about right considering its AWD and an automatic..

Quote Originally Posted by vr430 View Post
    ... But then why would anyone care about crank HP? It's what at the wheels that matters.
    TRUE and I agree on what is at the wheels... but there was some controversy early on in the life of some Audi's (not necessarily the RS6) of the factory fudging the numbers of 340hp/400hp/450hp/etc whether or not there was a true HP rating or if it was pure optimal conditions in which a said model line/engine actually put down the HP numbers advertised.

Case in point is the RS5 - advertised with 450HP, IIRC...
    Last edited by ben916; November 4th, 2010 at 17:27. Reason: spelling again
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Yes, but our tc's are built to handle I think 550 coming off the crank, so we want to be safe in that respect to prolong the life of the tc.
    Wow! Audi does not leave much room for error! Just use 25% and you'll be on the safe side of things.

Curious that MTM's most expensive upgrade brings HP to 568 without touching TC.

Aside from the fatherland, has ANYONE performed a Engine dyno (engine/turbo/ecu/intercooler/etc) on the RS6 motor?
    Yeah, it would be interesting to see if someone had indeed tested RS6 motor on the bench.

...controversy early on in the life of some Audi's (not necessarily the RS6) of the factory fudging the numbers of 340hp/400hp/450hp...
    Does Audi report numbers that are more or less then observed? Funny how in Japan, at least a while back, no new car could be sold with more than reported 300hp. So even the mighty GT-R spec was listed at 299HP. Yeah, right!

I seem to recall a stock RS6 making between 300-320 awhp on a Mustang dyno. If the 450hp is correct or even close, that's a 29% loss....not really unheard of for these german slush boxes... I've seen 996 turbo tips dyno even worse. I think 25% is conservative. Use real world numbers instead, not dyno numbers...you'll be less disappointed...

Ben funny you should say that about fudged #'s my audi tech tells me on my S8 that Audi purposely underestimates HP for emissions purposes in US....not sure if true, he thinks my S8 puts out alot more then 450hp(stock)
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by vr430 View Post
    Yeah, it would be interesting to see if someone had indeed tested RS6 motor on the bench.
    I believe I read that the BCY motor made way more power on the engine dyno. Limited cooling and the cramped space under the hood required major detuning.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

mine made 340 awhp with about 7000 miles on the clock with 91 octane temps 100ish

Quote Originally Posted by peiserg View Post
    mine made 340 awhp with about 7000 miles on the clock with 91 octane temps 100ish
    Optimistic dyno?... and that would be 25%...

Hi all

so, has anyone actually put their beloved V8 or V10 on the dyno? I had an offer a while back to put my V10 on the dyno for the development of a tune for the RS4 and ended up saying no as the risks were too high for my car. But, that said, I'd absolutely love to verify the 572 bhp (rounded off to 580) for the V10. In a real world context it feels like it is, like it accelerates very fast for its weight, but has anyone actually tested it? "The World's most Powerful Station Wagon"? is it true?