Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bambi vs. Beast: They both lose.

Thumbs down Bambi vs. Beast: They both lose.

Driving past one of the many nature preserves yesterday on a rare day lately when I can actually drive my car...

A big buck darts across the road. Wow, that was close. Unfortunately, his lady friend is right behind him, bounds out of a thicket in the median directly in front of my car... not even a nanosecond to react.
    Fortunately no humans were hurt. Fortunately, the deer died instantly and didn't suffer.

Unfortunately, my spotless carfax is toast and the beast has $4k in damage.

Get well soon, beast. Rest in peace, girl.

DUDE!!!!!! That sucks bad!
    Sorry to hear about the Beast!

Good to hear you are ok, kinda...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ouch!!! That is a bummer. ;(
    210K miles rolled

didn't someone have an off course excursion recently, to avoid a large pack of deer?
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    didn't someone have an off course excursion recently, to avoid a large pack of deer?
    That was Jim aka amulet-s6. He is in the repair process.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...eer?highlight=
    210K miles rolled

sucks...

venison burgers?

Really sorry to see this man. Good luck on speedy repair.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I've got to admit that this Fall's rut is CRAZY. I've seen more carcasses on the roadside this year than in the last 5 combined. And, my Father nearly nailed a big multi-point buck just this week, too. We're talking a highly-populated area (NoVA/DC). Amazing that they've adapted as well as they have to our encroachment.

Tough season on squirrels, too. Don't forget the little guys...

CW

I feel for you skribe. If you love yours as much as I love mine, I'd be crying right now. Any way make sure your body shop can bring her back to showroom spec, and all will be well. Good luck.....................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Men, thanks for your support in this difficult time. Yeah, I'm a freak about my cars, the RS was literally showroom flawless until yesterday.

Fortunately I wasn't hurt. I had a neighbor with a glass eye from a deer antler coming through the windshield.

Fortunately, I have good insurance -- USAA. I can take the car anywhere I want. She will get all new OEM panels correct paint, that is for sure.

And yes the rut has been intense this year. Kinda feel bad for that buck, he was just about to pull some tail

Skribe

Sorry to hear and see the news. New body panels should fit and finish up very nice. Any damage get into the leading edge of the front door?

Did the estimate figure for a new radiator support? I bet the mounting ears have cracked.

Keep an eye on the shop at teardown and take pics. Tell the guys you want the proper nuts, bolts, clips all put back in the correct locations.

My main concern would be if they replace the radiator support. You are opening up a can of worms to let your average joe body shop guy take apart the front radiator support on a RS6. Not to mention make sure the labor time is correct for the job. Long story short....if that can ever be.....there are a $hit load of clips, hoses, clamps, lines, ect that connect on that radiator support. Make damn sure they are paid properly and they do the job properly.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Men, thanks for your support in this difficult time. Yeah, I'm a freak about my cars, the RS was literally showroom flawless until yesterday.

Fortunately I wasn't hurt. I had a neighbor with a glass eye from a deer antler coming through the windshield.

Fortunately, I have good insurance -- USAA. I can take the car anywhere I want. She will get all new OEM panels correct paint, that is for sure.

And yes the rut has been intense this year. Kinda feel bad for that buck, he was just about to pull some tail

Sorry to see this, that sucks.

Good luck with the repair!

VERY sad to see...but you are OK and that is the important thing. At least you weren't in Maine and you hit a moose!

USAA is very well regarded...they should throw all the money at the car to fix it right for you.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    My main concern would be if they replace the radiator support. You are opening up a can of worms to let your average joe body shop guy take apart the front radiator support on a RS6. Not to mention make sure the labor time is correct for the job. Long story short....if that can ever be.....there are a $hit load of clips, hoses, clamps, lines, ect that connect on that radiator support. Make damn sure they are paid properly and they do the job properly.
    Thanks Dave. My thoughts exactly. Funny, after the incident one of the first things to come to mind was that I hope the radiator support isn't cracked... we pulled the bumper and it looks good, including the mounts. And there is no pinch in the door seam.

She was maybe 90 pounds, not too big. If I'd hit the big buck, The beast and I may have been well and truly fooked. He still had about an eight point rack on his head and was twice her size.

It's too bad I couldn't field dress her and take her with me.

Yeah, its that fiber material and the little ears where the fender and inner fender mounts bolt up to the core support. With the fender pushed back in that corner I would bet there is a ear broke off somewhere.

PM Pat or maybe he will chime in. He would be the expert eye on this.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Thanks Dave. My thoughts exactly. Funny, after the incident one of the first things to come to mind was that I hope the radiator support isn't cracked... we pulled the bumper and it looks good, including the mounts. And there is no pinch in the door seam.

She was maybe 90 pounds, not too big. If I'd hit the big buck, The beast and I may have been well and truly fooked. He still had about an eight point rack on his head and was twice her size.

It's too bad I couldn't field dress her and take her with me.

Yeah Skribe, if you have any questions for the resident (ex) master certified body tech, let me know. To me, it looks like the lock support should be ok. The thing to look for would be that usually in a collision, the nut serts (threaded inserts in the fiber lock support) get pulled out along with the bolt. Also, the support is probably fine where it mounts to the fender, but it's probably cracked somewhere around the headlamp mounting points. If the lock support does indeed require replacement, the trans fluid will have to topped up, as you loose some fluid on the 4.2 platform when the cooler is disconnected. Be afraid, your average body tech isn't going to be aware of the proper refill procedure. Also, I know it's cold out, but make sure your AC is working properly when you pick the car up post repairs. Otherwise, if there is a refrigerant leak, you wouldn't know until spring. I feel for you, this would gut me even knowing my own skill level and ability to repair it.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Oh yeah, the headlight mounting and yep the nuts in the support will pull out.

its going to be a major cluster f#$k if the body shop has to replace that core support. Crap, everything will have to come off that sucker and I guarantee the clips/nuts will not go back on in the same places. Not to mention the bshop will not get paid squat to replace that support. I bet the book time is the same as A6 2.7 or 4.2.

Get pictures coming apart and have the conversation with the bshop before you give them the car to advise how serious you are about all the parts getting back in the correct location with regards to the core support.

The labor for the RS6 lock support IS the same as the 4.2.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's