Thread: MTM TCU self install

MTM TCU self install

First of all if you thinking about installing the chip yourself I recommend not doing so unless you have the cash in hand to replace the potentially fried TCU.

I choose to install myself since my occupation is electronics driven (not much SMD components though).

Removed the TCU and popped it open...WTF?

Removed and soldered in the MTM. (GIAC is not in my vocab)

(MTM sticker removed for "OEM" appearance)

Now comes the Oh S*** moment; reinstalled the TCU, turned the key to run and "Press Clutch Pedal to Start Engine" is shown on the DIS. F***.

Scan with Vag-com, no TCU communication.

Pulled out TCU again, Ran the soldering iron over the pins again, and checked continuity between the pads and the pins on the chip; all good.

Reinstalled and tried again.....SUCCESS! RELIEF!

Replaced all the vacuum lines under the Intake and called it a night.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

So that's all we have to do after the manual conversion is short out the tcu...vedddyy eeenteresting...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

How's it drive?

Why not just plug into the socket which was already there for the GIAC chip??

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    How's it drive?

That's what I was thinking, is that not a chip socket? Why de-solder it? Yep, you can remove the tcu all together, and the car will display the "press clutch to start" message, and I believe it will start and run as well.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

That was my first thought, however, GIAC is encrypted and has a decoder chip on the bottom of the "socket"

I had no idea there was a tip chip installed already. MTM is much more sporty.

So in your opinion the MTM TCU chip feels better than having the GIAC installed?

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    That was my first thought, however, GIAC is encrypted and has a decoder chip on the bottom of the "socket"

I had no idea there was a tip chip installed already. MTM is much more sporty.

Give me a day or two and I will give you a definitive answer

Did you update the Vag yet?

New HEX-CAN cable on the way!

Wow, after a nice cruise this morning I can tell many differences between GIAC and MTM.

- GIAC feels like they just altered the stock programming a bit (hold gears longer, ect), MTM feels like a complete remap.
    - In Tip mode GIAC will still downshift automatically if you mash the gas, MTM holds the current gear (better IMO).
    - GIAC would downshift hard into 1st when coming to a stop, MTM is smooth as silk.

Overall power delivery is noticeably linear with MTM.

I held this theory in the past. Its nice to see a real world example of the difference.

Wow, after a nice cruise this morning I can tell many differences between GIAC and MTM.

- GIAC feels like they just altered the stock programming a bit (hold gears longer, ect), MTM feels like a complete remap.
    - In Tip mode GIAC will still downshift automatically if you mash the gas, MTM holds the current gear (better IMO).
    - GIAC would downshift hard into 1st when coming to a stop, MTM is smooth as silk.

Overall power delivery is noticeably linear with MTM.

um...could you copy that chip if you had an eprom progamer??

um...could you copy that chip if you had an eprom progamer??
    Assuming you want to use it another car, why not just pay the people who spent coutless hours making these modified chips instead?
    Custom VAG Tuning on RS6's - Email rich at vipertuning.com for details

MTM chip

@marklar182 Was the time that the transmission takes to shift after click a paddle or pushing the shifter any quicker than the GIAC?

Where in the US can I have an MTM chip purchased and installed?
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    @marklar182 Was the time that the transmission takes to shift after click a paddle or pushing the shifter any quicker than the GIAC?

Where in the US can I have an MTM chip purchased and installed?
    I did not see a big change in the shifting time using the paddles GIAC vs MTM. Both are pretty quick.

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/audi_rs6_c5_tuning.htm is the place to purchase/install the MTM chip. You overnight your TCU along with the last six digits of your VIN and they install the chip and overnight the TCU back to you!

If you could guess, how long does the car take to shift after clicking the paddle? I supposedly have the O.CT TCU and it still takes almost a second to shift when I click the paddle. I have just assumed that it is just hydraulic slowness in the transmission and nothing software can make quicker.

I did not see a big change in the shifting time using the paddles GIAC vs MTM. Both are pretty quick.

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/audi_rs6_c5_tuning.htm is the place to purchase/install the MTM chip. You overnight your TCU along with the last six digits of your VIN and they install the chip and overnight the TCU back to you!
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

Shazaam ! Hoppen CHIP

Soldering finished, TCU installed, test-drive (one meter on D, one meter on R) in my garage done !

The proper testdrive in two days time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29112011503..jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	11996

First of all if you thinking about installing the chip yourself I recommend not doing so unless you have the cash in hand to replace the potentially fried TCU.
    Yep, that cost me $700 bucks...I would highly recommend you let Hoppen solder for $40. I do see some great soldering skill out there though! Chip is great, tighter shifts, holds the rpm's longer per gear, doesn't jump around in Drive nearly as much, a rocket in Sport, twice as quick on the paddles, best $$ spent so far...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com