Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elated and sad, oh yeah tired

Electronic programmable read only memory. Non-volatile(info stays on chip without power) memory that the "tune" is flashed onto. This chip is what is replaced when they do your ecu. Right now id bet on the relay. But if they didn't solder a good connection on a pin and it came loose, that is also an easy fix.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

aah ok, but I thought the EC tune was a flash?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Don't worry about it, the EC is a flash, not a soldered in E-Prom. I'm putting all my chips on the ecu relay.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Don't worry about it, the EC is a flash, not a soldered in E-Prom. I'm putting all my chips on the ecu relay.
    In that case, me too.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Which relay is it for when he gets home?

There are several to the right (drivers referenced) of the ECU, the lid is hard to get on and off without disturbing them which is why to me this seems the most likely. Codes will be many if it is as when the car won't start it causes consequential codes too (timing, fueling, blah, blah, blah).
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Sorry to hear about your situation Speedtrapped. If It drove Ok yesterday, then I am thinking its something simple such as a loose connection somewhere. I was thinking ECU, but once connected that locks in pretty good. Almost impossible to have a bad connection there. So as others have said maybe a loose relay on the side of the ECU. Whatever it is lets hope its something simple. Good luck.......
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Well I am at a loss, not relays they were seated correctly, tried to start again with top off and making sure relays were snug. Finally downloaded vcds, and went to pull codes, assuming 4b a6 c5 was right reference vehicle. As I pressed auto scan, engine fan was running and then battery was draining, read6 volts, I didn't even finish entire scan because it was coming back low voltage, however it did read, 18258 powerstrain data bus, missing message from ecu, p1850-003, when abs fault codes as well....so is it bad battery? I did disconnect pos terminal for 3 days, battery weak.... Or is it the tcu and me cranking 4 times?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Sounds like it. Others have gotten a field of faults like that from low voltage. The can bus can't communicate when the voltage is low.

Try to charge the battery and or jump start.

What he said. Or just charge it overnight and clear the codes in the morning.

Missing message from ECU is not good. Got that same message when my A6 ECU was re-chipped from AWE tuning. Wound up being my ECU was shot. Since yours was not re-chipped but flashed I am not going to call a bad ECU. But who knows. As far as the CAN BUS is concerned it usually operates in the 2-3V range, so communication should still be possible. I guess as Dave said charge the battery and see what happens. This might enable us to determine the initial problem which is still there.......
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Had a similar problem with mine. It turned out to be a solder on the chip in the ECU shorting out.

First of all I would get the battery charged up fully, then see if you get the EPC light on the dash with ignition on? Try just going to 01 Engine in VAG COM rather than doing scan and check for codes ...

The fans usually come on full blast when it can’t communicate with the Engine ECU

In my experience, nearly all ECU’s can be recovered with the correct tools.
    Custom VAG Tuning on RS6's - Email rich at vipertuning.com for details

I would have to agree that you almost need to start from scratch charge the battery and leave the car on the charger so it is getting full voltage when you do the scan. You can skip running all of the modules to start with and just go to the engine module, then the transmission module and run individual scans so it doesn't take but a few seconds compared to do the whole chasis scan. And yes, the 4B A6 C5 is the correct module finder scan but just do the individual modules separately for this.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

So how did it go speedtrapped? Charge the battery overnight?

Charged battery reconnected the ecu ran fine then shut car off and did it again. crank no start. sending ecu back to EC to clear and reflash mailboxes. try again.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    So how did it go speedtrapped? Charge the battery overnight?

Dave, are you running the same beta version as him? You haven't been having this problem?