Thread: Time for the A3 and Golf to go their own separate ways?

Question Time for the A3 and Golf to go their own separate ways?

Ever since it arrived, a question a lot of people have asked is: is a an A3 just an expensive Golf. Or put the other way round, is a Golf just a dumbed-down A3?

The overlap is hard to avoid. The two cars seem identical in all but styling. How a car looks is often enough to fool most people, but more discerning buyers (RS6.com forum members amongst others) couldn't help feeling somewhat cynical and manipulated by the two brands. It was always hard to know which one to buy. In choosing a second car for our family, we solved the problem by buying the brilliant A2. At least we bought an Audi.

Indeed, the Golf/A3 platform has delivered sterling service in other Audi, Volkswagen, Skoda and SEAT models and in doing so it has made a lot of money for VW. My fear is that the Groups many brands are starting to morph into a single car with multiple badges.

The TT is a great machine. It has superb styling inside and out. it goes like a rocket, but somehow it has never had the kudos of more sporty marques. In the UK it is often called the 'poor man's Porsche'. Even though the TT-RS can make mincemeat of the Boxter on a wet winter road, road test reviews continually deny it 5 out of 5 stars because it utilises the Golf's underpinnings.

Now Audi comes along with the brilliant Quattro concept using a longitudinal layout in a lightweight chassis. The proportions and weight all shout A3. Of course, we know it is a shortened A5 platform with loads of aluminium and carbon fibre.

I just can't help wondering whether the time has come for Audi's next A3 to use the same platform as the Golf, but adapt it to a longitudinal engine layout, using more aluminium. More exotic versions can use carbon fibre, but regular versions can stick to steel. This would create real differentiation between the two models and brands while maintaining commonality of platforms?

The Quattro concept is very short at the front, so bonnet / hood length would not grow excessively. What do you think?

A3 based on longitudinal engine layout? Are you joking?

Or you wish to put Audi into bankroupcy?

Think very hard about your "dream wish" proposal... Potential RS3 with use of CF?! For what price?

Sorry to say this-but, do you understand how big car manufacturer like VAG actually works?

No, I am not joking. The platform architecture I have described is exactly what Mercedes-Benx plans to use for its new A / B Class family. It allows cars to be configured for FWD, RWD and AWD. Platform architecture is increasingly adaptable due to advanced design and production techniques. Now, it is entirely possible to engineer a single chassis so that it can incorporate a variety of layouts. This is very important for ALL manufacturers as hedge against future disruptive automotive technology, such as fuel cells, hybrid drives or other cars with electric motors and batteries.

Potential RS3 with CF is exactly what the Audi Quattro Concept is, albeit with A5 parts too. Actually, the Quattro Concept is Audi's "dream proposal' not mine. I am thinking very hard about it, because, I too, wonder how they will make it at a sensible price. One way to do this is to embrace TORSEN more widely, especially as the A3 platform is growing to make room for a new A2 as well as the A1 below it. If Audi adopted the Mercedes-Benz architecture, it could continue to make inexpensive front wheel drive cars for regular customers and more exotic spots cars for those who want something more sporty.

Audi already does this in a limited way with the TT, which has many aluminium parts. The problem is that it still has a front-end weight bias that ultimately compromises handling. A longtiudinal platform with a short 4 or 5 cylinder engine is thus entirely doable IMNSHO, without bankrupting Audi. I know you're all still probably driving tractors in Croatia, but don't let your ignorance close your mind to other possibilities even if, like most lawyers, you can only deal in facts rather than ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post

I know you're all still probably driving tractors in Croatia, but don't let your ignorance close your mind to other possibilities even if, like most lawyers, you can only deal in facts rather than ideas.
    First, why did you wrote a "redneck" comment like this?

Second, another fact-less thread about possible Audi "dream" models? OK...

Third, did you heard a rumor about potential "New Quattro" price that is all over German car press? Well... If projected price is even close only die hard Audi fans will buy it...

I think I have to remind you all to be polite to each other...
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I think I have to remind you all to be polite to each other...
    Only one person needs to be reminded, since he insulted other members for no reason...

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    IMNSHO
    In My NonSense Humble Opinion?

wait... there are rednecks in croatia? i thought we only had those here in the bible belt of the good ol USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if kreso can boil peanuts and cook catfish as well as they can here then i am going over to his house for dinner.

ps: i kreso and i tailpipe
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I love the idea but doubt it will happen any time soon.

Unless Audi completely developed two modular platforms from alloy to run the entire range they do, excluding the A1 of course, as size limits the possibility of fitting that type of engine layout and still retain enough passenger space. The question that needs to be asked is would it be possible for Audi to offer such a platform to stretch from the A3 right up to the Q5 and another to run from the A6 to the A8. Sound possible to me but I'm what would I know.

Here another idea, what about making the A3 still use the Haldex awd system but instead of making all the power go to the front and then transfer it to the back, why not mount the transfer box at the rear axle and only shift a smaller percentage of power to the front through a little weight prop-shaft, say 15/85 split front to rear in normal driving but allow up to 40% shift forward it required. That would appear to me, what do you think.

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    wait... there are rednecks in croatia? i thought we only had those here in the bible belt of the good ol USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if kreso can boil peanuts and cook catfish as well as they can here then i am going over to his house for dinner.

ps: i kreso and i tailpipe
    Thanks RXBG!

Everything is OK between tailpipe and me.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Thanks RXBG!

Everything is OK between tailpipe and me.
    Absolutely. We London 'Rednecks' also drive tractors. (We call them Range-Rovers).