Thread: Buyer beware: Seattle area Craigslist ad

Buyer beware: Seattle area Craigslist ad

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/1977027263.html

I called the listed dealer about this ad, and I was told a lot of things that don't add up given the Carfax I ran. I was told the car was a 2 owner car, and the current owner is some type of doctor trading Porsches through this dealer. Supposedly this owner has had the car for 5 years and averaged 5k miles/year. The owner also supposedly bought it from Barrier and did a full inspection to verify it was a "real RS6", and he had a 2-3 year Fidelity warranty that the dealer advised the seller to cash in. The dealer also said he sells a lot of performance cars, but if you look at his other CL ads (he doesn't run any on AutoTrader etc.), they are mostly 7-8 year old luxury cars.

What's more fishy is the fact that this dealer said he is offering the car on consignment as a favor, and when I asked if he was a dealer, he responded with it being "something he does with his son". He had the cars in some type of warehouse in Issaquah but recently rented out the Exotic Motors building in Bellevue. I'm pretty sure Exotic motors is defunct, and there is another dealership painted on the window called "Platinum Motors Exports, LLC" (which either moved or is also defunct). He told me the name of his dealership was something like "Mercer Motorsports" or "Mercer Motorshop". In any case, I couldn't find any more info about this business. I saw a lot of people walking around his dealership the other day, and I see no signs for any "Mercer" anything around. The whole situation smells a lot like a curbstoner part time dealer. How he got an RS6 to be sold alongside most of the stuff he usually sells is odd, but as I mentioned a lot of things don't add up.

When I asked about the Carfax, he said he hadn't run it, but his ad clearly says "Clean Carfax".
    Here are some interesting things the Carfax turned up, in addition to the other 40ish records on the list:
    Computer module replaced
    MAF sensor replaced
    Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced
    Fuel system serviced
    Transmission serviced
    Transmission serviced

It's possible the dealer just didn't know a lot of the details, but I was suspicious enough after our conversation/reviewing the Carfax to stay away.

Run, Forest, RUN!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The ad at the end of your link expired, but here it is again:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1977666035.html

Same car here: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...971396366.html

Something very fishy IS going on. This car has been advertised on Craigslist about 20 times. Many of the ads have expired and some have been flagged.

Nice wheel gap
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I guess it must be my eyes but didn't the first link have wood trim instead of Carbon Fiber? I didn't look that closely though.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

when you go to the platinum sales website the browser title says something about Kirkland Toyota as well... seemed weird
    SOLD - 2002 Audi S6 - RS6 front, H&R's, 18" OEM RS6

To be clear - these are 2 separate ads/dealers. That's part of what's confusing too - Platinum Autos (the second link provided) is the place I was looking at for the one that just sold with all options/52k miles. They are legit. The dealer from Europa was changing locations and was temporarily working with Platinum Autos to sell the car. The fishy place I was talking about was selling one with 54k miles and wood trim and is using a building that is marked with 2 other dealer names - Exotic Motors and Platinum Auto Exports, LLC. (different name). Anyway, the ad seems to be gone. While I feel like the car they had wasn't the best, it's the inconsistency of the dealer story and their questionable setup that really made me wonder (it seems intentional that they set up shop in what looks like a legit dealership and don't bother to put up their own business name, in case they get in trouble).

Quote Originally Posted by bendjeff View Post
    Thanks!
    I added this to the VIN list as it wasn't there.
    Is this the transmission issue car?
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

this was the fishy business one... operating out of different locations with different business names

All issues I know of are listed in my first post based on the Carfax. The car has been in the service department roughly every 3-4 months.

This looks and sounds similar to a Grey RS6 I test drove back in April 2010 from Barrier Audi Southcenter. That one had roughly 51,xxx on it at the time. I don't believe it ever sold from that dealer so they could have possibly dumped it to the dealer here, "europa". It was the first and only RS6 I have driven, pulling away from a light I got on the gas a little bit probably about half throttle and when it shifted it shifted very hard and loud as well. I believe they were asking in the 35k range. Can anyone confirm if this RS6 was at Barrier earlier this year?

Quote Originally Posted by fentonj View Post
    This looks and sounds similar to a Grey RS6 I test drove back in April 2010 from Barrier Audi Southcenter. That one had roughly 51,xxx on it at the time. I don't believe it ever sold from that dealer so they could have possibly dumped it to the dealer here, "europa". It was the first and only RS6 I have driven, pulling away from a light I got on the gas a little bit probably about half throttle and when it shifted it shifted very hard and loud as well. I believe they were asking in the 35k range. Can anyone confirm if this RS6 was at Barrier earlier this year?
    That is the one!

BTW, welcome and your first post! Please update your location so others know (assuming the PAC NW)

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    That is the one!

BTW, welcome and your first post! Please update your location so others know (assuming the PAC NW)
    Location updated. I have been reading this forum off and on for the past two years and finally decided to join. There is tons of great info on here about the RS6, its very helpful.