Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question ref tire replacement

Question ref tire replacement

Have Michelin Pilot Sport 2 XL's, and the fronts have heavy inside wear and need to be replaced. The rears have about 1/8" wear left before they hit the wear bars. My question is, is it okay to replace the fronts only, or should I replace all 4 tires? ... Do I need to be concerned about the difference in tire diameter between new fronts/old rears?

TIA
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    ... Do I need to be concerned about the difference in tire diameter between new fronts/old rears? TIA
    My vote is YES, replace all at once.
    IIRC, the manual states something to the effect of tire diameter within a certain percentage between front/rear (3% or was it 10% ?)
    Also, I seem to remember a thread about this very early on in this website. (2004 or 2005)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks Ben
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

If you are careful about rotating every 5K with the new set you get they should wear out more uniformly. Just rotate front to back.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I'd also look into replacing the upper control arms, which should help your inner tire wear. Maybe go with a set of adjustable ones?

Replace all 4.

How many miles do you get from each set of PS2s?

At 1/8th you have done ok on even tire wear. Just keep rotating the new set often to spread that inner tire wear to all 4 tires.

At -1.4 camber you will wear the inner fronts but do check those control arm bushings and make sure they are good.

Have Michelin Pilot Sport 2 XL's, and the fronts have heavy inside wear and need to be replaced. The rears have about 1/8" wear left before they hit the wear bars. My question is, is it okay to replace the fronts only, or should I replace all 4 tires? ... Do I need to be concerned about the difference in tire diameter between new fronts/old rears?

TIA

I seem to have success with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on the S6. They're XL rated and would probably get them in lieu of PS2's on cost alone. $632 vs. $1148 at tirerack.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I seem to have success with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on the S6. They're XL rated and would probably get them in lieu of PS2's on cost alone. $632 vs. $1148 at tirerack.com
    Ditto. After throwing money at at least four or five sets of PS2s for various Audis, I just switched to a set of V12 Evos. Even if they wear twice as fast, I almost break even money wise. So far I'm liking them.

I just replaced mine last week... the PS2s are great!

They are becoming difficult to find. Tire Rack is phasing them out....

I had inside wall belts beginning to show in the front tires both sides, the rears were almost gone also.

I find that in the front tires wear unevenly (which ever pair happens to be on the front last after rotating front to back) and I have been pushing my luck on the fronts, especially with a bubble on one side wall (for two years LOL).

The new tires definitely improve grip!

Mike

(two of my snows are about gone but the other two are ok, so I plan to just buy two snows)

oh, the PS3s are the 'new tire' but they have strange ratings....longer wear but the same grip???? I'll wait until someone else has them on their car for a while LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    ...especially with a bubble on one side wall
    Mine has the same thing, I took it to Michelin and they said it looks ok, the tire will wear out before the bubble becomes a concern...Not an official answer but that was what was told to me...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Checked them out, thanks. As info for all, there is a $60.00 rebate in play for qualifying purchases of 4 V12 Evo's
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Checked them out, thanks. As info for all, there is a $60.00 rebate in play for qualifying purchases of 4 V12 Evo's
    Ya, tell me about it. They came out with the rebate about a week after I purchased my set.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I think I bought 'em a week after it started - by dumb luck - I had waited a week because it was rainy. Sent my rebate form in Friday.

Ordered the Hankooks locally - $172 a piece incl mounting/balancing. Then apply $60 rebate. I like the price of the tires, hopefully I like their performance - based upon comments above, I should. Reverting with my thoughts after some use.
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

A follow-up to the Hankooks - have only had them a week, but have been able to experience them on dry as well as very wet roads ..they feel very sure-footed to me - I am quite pleased, especially given the price relative to PS2's (which were my prior 2 sets of tires).
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I just got mine today and will have them installed tomorrow. Although the car will not be a DD, I'm curious as to treadwear/life.

I suppose having good control arms and a proper alignment will help with this. That's next on the list.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

another vote for Hankook Ventus Evos - even though they cost $300 a piece in Korea (foreign markets get subsidized pricing), they just wear very well if you keep up with the rotation, and they not only felt good and sticky, I felt they gave a bit more precise steering. My car has new Continentals so I won't be shopping for tires for awhile, but I do plan to get some Hankooks and save some money over Michelins; I know they did the job on a tuned Skyline, they should be fine on the RS6. They might give up 5-10% in total maximum grip over the best track-day tires, but for road use, you'll never get to that limit anyways.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo