Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Searched Forum, more questions about potential purchase

If the car passes a PPI inspection. I would say buy it.

You could search for months and risk travel and dead beat sellers. You have a car right now that you can touch, drive, inspect and generally have your own eyes on it.

The price is ok for a clean 52k car. Very few low mileage cars are left and some of them are beat up. Its hard not to find one without major body work and paint work history, chips on all the fenders from road debris and general scrapes all over the place.

I say buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamingOfCars View Post
    Holy awesome responses - many thanks.

I would be suspicious on price if it wasn't Barrier - they consistently price cars 6-10k above market value and generally won't budge on price. Bellevue is suckersville for buying luxury cars. The new dealer is a non-franchised used car place. I'm guesstimating that between 5-15 people test drove it since February based on mileage, and most probably pass because it looks great outside but the interior definitely looks 7 years old - overall it's good, but if you look closely many pieces of the rubber have scratches/scuffs. People around here would probably rather buy an S6 or something newer. The economy still mostly stinks, and I think most people don't want to touch a 7 year old high performance car unless they got lots of cash, and in that case they would probably be looking for lower mileage models anyway.

I'm definitely willing to search, but I've been a little frustrated talking to private party sellers so far. Many of them don't have titles in hand, which means I'm risking cash, and one flat out lied about problems that I later found out about on another forum (different car - but he had some serious engine issues, electrical problems, and other random noises. I directly asked him about these things and he said it was fine before I found his posts).

Ok, here's the Carfax. I can't post a link because it's not up anywhere:

Date ODO Details
    12/06/03 6 Pre delivery inspection completed
    02/14/2004 347 First owner reported
    6/10/04 NA Maintenance inspection completed
    8/13/04 NA Vehicle serviced
    2/10/2005 NA Vehicle serviced
    04/08/2005 NA Brakes checked, Drivability/performance checked
    5/17/2005 NA Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
    11/30/2005 NA Engine/powertrain computer module checked, brake fluid flushed/changed, Maintenance inspection completed, Valve cover gasket replaced, sunroof switch replaced

4/05/2006 NA Maintenance inspection completed, manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed

10/18/2006 NA One wheel replaced, rear brake pads replaced, front brake rotors replaced, maintenance inspection completed, a/c refrigerant recharged, radiator replaced, antifreeze/coolant checked

3/27/2007 NA Engine removed for repair, maintenance inspection completed, headlights adjusted, trim repaired, a/c refrigerant recharged, manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, interior trim checked, brake light switch replaced

5/2/2007 NA Offered for sale as Audi CPO

6/17/2007 36,102 New owner reported

10/23/2007 38,048 Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, door trim panel adjusted, front door trim panel replaced, strut(s) replaced, aligntment performed, two wheel alignment peformed

1/31/2008 39,262 Engine removed for repair, driveshaft removed and installed, valve cover gasket replaced, manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, engine/powertrain/computer module checked, Air flow meter replaced, timing chain tensioner seal replaced, camshaft replaced, two wheel alignment performed, alignment performed, strut(s) replaced, CV boot replaced

4/30/2008 NA maintenance inspection completed

10/29/2008 43,392 Front brake pads and rotors replaced, strut(s) replaced

2/6/2009 45,780 Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, cooling system checked, two wheel alignment performed, alignment performed, strut(s) replaced

4/30/2009 47,291 Driveshaft removed and installed, CV boot replaced, parts ordered, strut(s) replaced, alignment performed, two wheel alignment performed (I believe this was DRC..I confirmed it was either this one or the one after)

11/12/09 50,912 Vehicle serviced

2/11/09 51,853 Sold at auction...and sitting on lots ever since

Quote Originally Posted by JRS-RS6 View Post
    Umm my service records show prior owners and so did their insurance cards etc. they left in the car.
    I would be curious to find out who was the original owner of the one I purchased as the non-audi dealer close to Beverly Hills indicated it was owned by some celebrity...
    When I was at Miramar Audi, they looked and wouldn't tell me nor hint either...

Off topic: who is in tight with there service advisor????

EDIT: It sat on the lot for a YEAR????
    Last edited by ben916; October 1st, 2010 at 05:20.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

On the note of previous or original owner's name, in the manual pouch, I have an OnStar/Telematics card (hard plastic) with a name on it. Could I assume that this was the original owner?

That big service at 39k would freak me out. Camshaft replaced... That's a huge WTF in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I would be curious to find out who was the original owner of the one I purchased as the non-audi dealer close to Beverly Hills indicated it was owned by some celebrity...
    Didn't RuPaul drive an avus RS 6 back in the day?

When I talked to the service advisors at each dealer, they didn't claim to see anything outside of normal maintenance, but my sense is that they wanted to get me off the phone. I would ask about a specific date and line item on the carfax, and they would say "no that wasn't done". Then on other dates they might say something was done that I thought was stamped with a different date. As I mentioned before, one thing the carfax doesn't talk about is what people report - one of those last services includes a report of a loose accelerator.

My bad on the date at auction - it was in 2010. Even still, it has been sitting for over 7 months.

The camshaft and radiator were both red flags to me. Does the camshaft not get removed to do one of the major services (or possibly for some type of leak)? I assumed that service was the 35k, but the advisor told me that none of the services for the 2nd owner were 35k, but I was also guessing the original owner did the 35k on 3/27, but it seems odd that it would have been done 2 times.

Ok, my notes below.

I still say get the PPI at Audi and while in the shop...ask for the service print out. The prior owners info is not listed and the repairs are much clearer detail.

Ok, here's the Carfax. I can't post a link because it's not up anywhere:

Date ODO Details
    12/06/03 6 Pre delivery inspection completed
    02/14/2004 347 First owner reported
    6/10/04 NA Maintenance inspection completed
    8/13/04 NA Vehicle serviced
    2/10/2005 NA Vehicle serviced
    04/08/2005 NA Brakes checked, Drivability/performance checked
    5/17/2005 NA Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
    11/30/2005 NA Engine/powertrain computer module checked, brake fluid flushed/changed, Maintenance inspection completed, Valve cover gasket replaced, sunroof switch replaced

4/05/2006 NA Maintenance inspection completed, manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed

10/18/2006 NA One wheel replaced, rear brake pads replaced, front brake rotors replaced, maintenance inspection completed, a/c refrigerant recharged, radiator replaced, antifreeze/coolant checked

3/27/2007 NA Engine removed for repair, maintenance inspection completed, headlights adjusted, trim repaired, a/c refrigerant recharged, manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, interior trim checked, brake light switch replaced I would have to guess the 35k service was performed here. Why? Because at the time and mileage the service was covered by warranty. esp if the engine was pulled to replace valve cover gaskets.

5/2/2007 NA Offered for sale as Audi CPO

6/17/2007 36,102 New owner reported

10/23/2007 38,048 Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, door trim panel adjusted, front door trim panel replaced, strut(s) replaced, aligntment performed, two wheel alignment peformed

1/31/2008 39,262 Engine removed for repair, driveshaft removed and installed, valve cover gasket replaced, manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, engine/powertrain/computer module checked, Air flow meter replaced, timing chain tensioner seal replaced, camshaft replaced, two wheel alignment performed, alignment performed, strut(s) replaced, CV boot replaced This one is the deal breaker. Get a copy of this service at all costs. If one of the engine cams needed replaced....run away from this car. Not a great situation if the engine was out 2 times in a year but sometimes the techs get away with tricks and not pull the engine. But they get paid for it.

4/30/2008 NA maintenance inspection completed

10/29/2008 43,392 Front brake pads and rotors replaced, strut(s) replaced

2/6/2009 45,780 Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, cooling system checked, two wheel alignment performed, alignment performed, strut(s) replaced

4/30/2009 47,291 Driveshaft removed and installed, CV boot replaced, parts ordered, strut(s) replaced, alignment performed, two wheel alignment performed (I believe this was DRC..I confirmed it was either this one or the one after)

11/12/09 50,912 Vehicle serviced

2/11/09 51,853 Sold at auction...and sitting on lots ever since

I would do as Dhall1 suggests and take it to Audi for the PPI but don't take it back to Barrier since they already had it. I think Barrier has a pretty good reputation for service but most enthusiasts around that don't do a lot of their own work take their cars to University Audi and deal with a guy named Ben. His is on Quattroworld forums under the PNW region every once in a while. And "No", none of the cams get removed for any of the regular services or would they for a oil leak that I can think of, it would have to be for something more major.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ok, sounds like I have more homework to do. The current seller knows a couple of service people at University and claims they looked and didn't find anything. Part of the problem here is that there is obviously a conflict of interest with Barrier and possibly with University, which means an indie may be the only choice, but then getting the records pulled might be harder. Barrier offered to credit me the cost of the PPI towards a warranty, but given their quote on the warranty I will probably be better off looking elsewhere anyway.

I wondered if a PPI involves checking out the engine - would leak downs/compression tests be useful in this case? Apparently, Barrier doesn't do that (or you have to pay a bit more for it).

The carfax isn't linked to anywhere, and I'm sure it's because the seller knows it would scare people away. Dealers don't really want you to know the history in most cases, and I'm a little cynical when they claim to have a full history (as this car was advertised), because I always question if they just throw out anything that looks scary.

There are 3 other RS6s for sale locally - the one from Achtuning (too many miles), another daytona with 54k listed at 29.5 on CL, and a silver with 49k, but it has had at least 4 owners and the seller was asking 34k. I thought this one might be a decent candidate for PPI but if I can't get the info on that camshaft replacement maybe I should just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Didn't RuPaul drive an avus RS 6 back in the day?
    It wouldn't have fit as it is over 6'6" or so... without heels... and it isn't nearly flashy enough... Maybe with S5 rims on it .....

When I talked to the service advisors at each dealer, they didn't claim to see anything outside of normal maintenance, but my sense is that they wanted to get me off the phone. I would ask about a specific date and line item on the carfax, and they would say "no that wasn't done". Then on other dates they might say something was done that I thought was stamped with a different date. As I mentioned before, one thing the carfax doesn't talk about is what people report - one of those last services includes a report of a loose accelerator.

My bad on the date at auction - it was in 2010. Even still, it has been sitting for over 7 months.

The camshaft and radiator were both red flags to me. Does the camshaft not get removed to do one of the major services (or possibly for some type of leak)? I assumed that service was the 35k, but the advisor told me that none of the services for the 2nd owner were 35k, but I was also guessing the original owner did the 35k on 3/27, but it seems odd that it would have been done 2 times.
    You REALLY need to get the print out of the service on that one. I wouldn't make a move without it. You are getting the run around.

My 35k service was really early - 19k...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Normal PPIs dont include leakdown tests. Those are not normally a problem with RS6. Schedule the car at University and go there to talk to the tech and service adivsor the day of the PPI. Make sure the Audi history print out goes with the car at PPI and go from there. The techs dont have crystal balls but will raise the car and vag com the ecu for faults. Dont expect a miracle but dont leave without the past service print out. Go right to the 35 and 39k services and look for that cam replacement info.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    It wouldn't have fit as it is over 6'6" or so... without heels... and it isn't nearly flashy enough... Maybe with S5 rims on it .....
    Just LOL'd on that one. Nicely played.

I guess the important question to ask is, if the camshaft was replaced for any reason - when is that normal? It also sounds like I should check out at least 1 or 2 others to compare how they look and drive so I can be confident the car runs as expected.

I agree that I've been getting the run around, and I'm going to try calling back for a records fax as suggested. I think the service advisors hate reading these reports over the phone because they are hard to read, and the car hasn't been serviced at any of those places for over a year. When I saw the printouts of a different RS6, I had to spend a minute per page to see the complaint and what action was taken, and it was usually mixed with normal services.

If anyone has a good relationship with a service advisor, here is a VIN: WUAPV64B23N905459.

Based on reading other posts here, it seems like some of you are savvy at also running tests on how well the car is running/boosting/shifting with VAGCom on board. I doubt that PPIs do this, so do any of the local Seattle peeps have the knowledge/VAGCom to run tests on a drive?

Whoa...a previous thread and I found one piece of info - the dealer wasn't lying to me:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...light=warranty

I'm almost positive it is the one auctioned on 2/11 that went for 31.5 and listed in ABOVE condition. That is what I was told Barrier paid, but I didn't believe it.

NVM ...now it's listed as sold. Time to keep looking.

Whoa...a previous thread and I found one piece of info - the dealer wasn't lying to me:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...light=warranty

I'm almost positive it is the one auctioned on 2/11 that went for 31.5 and listed in ABOVE condition. That is what I was told Barrier paid, but I didn't believe it.

NVM ...now it's listed as sold. Time to keep looking.
    Probably a good thing...

Here: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

or HERE (this one has been for sale forever):http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I checked the one listed for 42k. Warranty is only gold plus level and is good for one more year. Seller wants 39.5 and is in no hurry to sell - they have 5 cars. It hasn't had DRC recall done nor has it ever had a timing belt change, and it needed an alternator replacement about a year ago. My other concern with that low of mileage is I've been told that performance cars that sit in garages can sometimes be worse than cars with average mileage. It has been driven 3k/year. Total price is more than I wanted to spend anyway - looking to keep it between 25-30k so I can add that 6-7k warranty on top.

I'll look into the other one.

I checked the one listed for 42k. Warranty is only gold plus level and is good for one more year. Seller wants 39.5 and is in no hurry to sell - they have 5 cars. It hasn't had DRC recall done nor has it ever had a timing belt change, and it needed an alternator replacement about a year ago. My other concern with that low of mileage is I've been told that performance cars that sit in garages can sometimes be worse than cars with average mileage. It has been driven 3k/year. Total price is more than I wanted to spend anyway - looking to keep it between 25-30k so I can add that 6-7k warranty on top.

I'll look into the other one.
    Agreed!
    There are some decent ones on Autotrader...
    Also, Park Place LTD is rather pricey on some of their stuff.

Also there are some peeps in Seattle:
    Topcat_92
    Brazil,
    EurotunedRS6,
    hahnmgh63
    and others...