Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best RS6 Timing Belt Kit

Which is the best RS6 Timing Belt Kit

I am trying to decide which timing belt kit out there is the most reliable and best quality for the RS6. Thanks.

IMO Genuine Audi parts are best, but others have said the ECS kit is ok.

I suggest using genuinevwaudiparts.com (the parts you need are listed here; http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...h-part-numbers
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

since I missed the group buy, can someone advise if this kit is acceptable to use for the 75k mile timing belt job?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

thanks!
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Erik, fcp is a good company. I can't vouch for this kit, but I can vouch for this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...#ht_1898wt_722

This is the seller I got mine from. Great kit. Plus the one you listed didn't include the t-stat, t-stat o-ring, or the serpentine belt.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

OEM all the way for me. Nistah are you changing yours at 75k mile intervals? My RS6 is on it's factory belt at 36k and it is getting changed soon. No one can tell me exactly when it needs changing and I get different answers from Audi/Indies/Service book. So better safe then sorry...
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

Official Service Maintenance Schedule- linky

States Timing Belt Change @ 35K, 75k (miles)

When you reach 100k Miles, start back at 5k service interval.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Thanks, that's really helpful.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

just an fyi that i have notice over the years.

i tend to buy mine timing belt kits (including all the fluids, belts, roller etc...) from ECS or companies like them. you actually get the same exact part (in my experience) as when you go to the deal or mechanics shop. when i did the 1.8t on my passat this past winter I got the ECS kit and the parts supplied actually had the audi/vw stamp on them and the belts were the same brand that vw/audi uses at the dealer.

side bar and rant...

the timing belt service, when you get the complete jump with water pump and all done, is the biggest rip off at the dealer. again on the 1.8t the dealer told me $1,200. I asked how many hours it would take them and they said 5-6 hours. I also asked how much the parts would cost and they said around $250-300. so i looked on their wall at the service counter and it says the shop rate is $65/hr. so do the math on the laber and parts and on the high side you get $690. i guess the other $510 dollars is for the joy in taking my car to them and having them break other things while they fix what what i ask them to fix in the first place (i guess we can thank VoA for "book prices).

alright rant over haha

also timing belts are funny things, you can check it and it could be good one day and broken a week later, or have hair lines cracks in it and last another 20k miles. I tend to just stick with service intervals like others have said and not put my credance in what the shops tell me unless it's a shop that i have A LOT of trust in.

Quote Originally Posted by buster0984 View Post
    just an fyi that i have notice over the years.

i tend to buy mine timing belt kits (including all the fluids, belts, roller etc...) from ECS or companies like them. you actually get the same exact part (in my experience) as when you go to the deal or mechanics shop. when i did the 1.8t on my passat this past winter I got the ECS kit and the parts supplied actually had the audi/vw stamp on them and the belts were the same brand that vw/audi uses at the dealer.

side bar and rant...
    Yeah, I've heard that ECS 4.2 kit is not that good.

the timing belt service, when you get the complete jump with water pump and all done, is the biggest rip off at the dealer. again on the 1.8t the dealer told me $1,200. I asked how many hours it would take them and they said 5-6 hours. I also asked how much the parts would cost and they said around $250-300. so i looked on their wall at the service counter and it says the shop rate is $65/hr. so do the math on the laber and parts and on the high side you get $690. i guess the other $510 dollars is for the joy in taking my car to them and having them break other things while they fix what what i ask them to fix in the first place (i guess we can thank VoA for "book prices).

alright rant over haha
    Tell me about it
    I changed three timing belts on my 1.8T.

also timing belts are funny things, you can check it and it could be good one day and broken a week later, or have hair lines cracks in it and last another 20k miles. I tend to just stick with service intervals like others have said and not put my credance in what the shops tell me unless it's a shop that i have A LOT of trust in.
    I'm coming to 75k miles, and seems like my thermostat is acting up a bit.
    On my 1.8T, last two times, i had a water pump fail, actual belts looked fine.

I have heard that the water pump with the white impeller (sp?) blade is rare and the best one to get as they tend not to fail like the metal or black blades do.
    Just an FYI while you are shopping around. I have bought for our Allroad the "enhanced kit" from Blauparts and it was a B- in our book some very good and some average parts.

I ended up with europaparts, but with gates timing belt.

I don't recommend the Blau kit for one reason: the water pump is crap.
    Everything else is nice and looks OEM, but the water pump I was sent didn't fit right and the plastic impeller was poorly cast.

I typically piece meal our kits together to get better quality and pricing, than the OE supplied kits that are typically available.

There are certain brands we won't use and others that we strongly prefer. If I were to price out a kit for someone it would only be the best quality parts, and I'd probably suggest an upgraded timing belt for those hard drivers out there.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

This is a pretty old thread but its about where I'm at right now and Im hoping for some input newer than 2 years old. Blauparts says they send out coupons within a week of signing up and I am kinda needing one at this point.

I need a kit and would like the tools which leaves me at blauparts, which seems liek an ok deal except Id like to install the Gate Blue Belt if I can.

I also need a valve cover gasket kit, as well as Id like to replace the hoses. The IC hose kits Ive found online don't come with clamps so that's another place I need to look.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Erik, fcp is a good company. I can't vouch for this kit, but I can vouch for this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...#ht_1898wt_722

This is the seller I got mine from. Great kit. Plus the one you listed didn't include the t-stat, t-stat o-ring, or the serpentine belt.
    This the belt that snapped on you? Sorry, just though it interesting and wonder if the brand you had on was the issue?

Interesting read from another group...I guess an aftermarket water pump metal impeller caused major damage when it failed and ground into stuff, as opposed to the plastic OEM style.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The post is too old so the link does not work but did I read that right? At 100k miles they want the belt done every 5K? Since when did this thing become a Veyron?

Since we are on the TB subject, I use tons of Rock Auto parts. Any thoughts on this kit:

http://www.1aauto.com/timing-belt-ki...a/i/gaeek00068

Its only $218 at other places but these guys have the largest picture. I realize still need the thermostat but we use Gates belts only at my shop and after 5 years we have never had a failure. Granted thats all on domestic and Asian cars.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Typo...every 35k regardless. Make sure to replace small upper rollers as they contain weak needle bearings. There was no record of mine being done with the TB by the previous owner, so when I swapped them the were crap, lots of play. $150 for the two rollers I think, but well worth the safety. Gates belt, OEM kit all around, seems like the consensus.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com