Thread: RNS-E Questions

Hybrid View

RNS-E Questions

I’m thinking about adding RNS-E to my ever-expanding mod list. I’ve spent a couple hours last night going over posts from members that have installed the Nav and I have a pretty good understanding about how to do this myself. DHall1’s write-up http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19837-RNS-E-updated-install-into-03-RS6?highlight=rnse+install* among a few others has helped immensely.

Here are 2 questions that I can’t find answers on:

1) The correct Nav unit for the RS6 is: 4B0-035-192-R. The A6 Nav unit is 4B0-035-192-P. What are the differences between the -R and -P? Is the -P going to work in the RS6 as well? The reason why I ask, is that I see a few -P Nav units for sale on the used market (for a cheaper price) from people that supposedly were going to install this in their RS6.

2) My Symphony II has lifetime SIRIUS satellite radio. All the write-ups reference XM radio. Is the RNS-E Nav unit compatible with SIRIUS? Are there any changes to the install because I have SIRIUS and not XM?

Anything to watch out for while looking to buy a used RNS-E Nav unit? Thanks!

I've got the P revision in my S6 and will try it out in the RS6 over the weekend.

I'm not sure what the difference is between revisions, but mine was a European unit (one of the buttons says TV instead of DVD I think?)

I'm going to venture a guess and say that if it fits, it will work. You might just have to do a little VAG'ing afterwards.

As for the satellite radio, I wan to say that there are different add-on modules for this, but they are separate. One for Sirius and one for XM.

I'm contemplating selling mine as I hate it. The buttons are too small and it's too hard to navigate through all the features while driving. The only thing I like is the SD card slots.

You probably already know that Audi stopped production of these and they are very hard to find. All of the legit online sources that sell them for $1400 say they're out of stock. So finding one for under $1k is darn near impossible.

4B0-035-192-R is a US Spec unit
    4B0-035-192-P is a Euro Spec unit.

A Euro Unit (usually cheaper) can be flashed with US firmware and will operate fine in the US.

The only difference between these two physically is shown in this pic;

The current Sirius tuner you have will need to be changed. It is the same procedure as the XM write-ups. I would make a note of the current tuner ID, and then call Sirius when you need to activate the new tuner and reference the old tuner ID. If they give you trouble just say the old one malfunctioned and had to be replaced.

Buy from a reputable seller, I would steer clear of ebay. Look up Haaggie on audiforum.us
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Also keep in mind that it is now one company, sirius/xm...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Thanks for the quick answers. If I were to buy the -P version, who can flash the US firmware for me? Is this something I can purchase?

If you buy from a good seller, they will usually install the correct firmware for you. Otherwise, head over to audiforum.us and read up!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

There was a RNSE from a 05 Allroad on Audiworld. I think he wanted 800 with the harness, cd and ant.

A good price.

As I am going through this process at the moment, permit me to chime in. I'm not a big DIYer, but I have been known to do some of the mechanical stuff. Anyway, when it comes to electronics, I felt a professional installer would be the right way to go. Depending on what modules you want, it can be daunting. I hired brother the brother of a well-known RNS US expert. He happens to be local-ish. But, he told me that someone actually paid him to fly across country and for 3 days of this time to install his system. Can't imagine the cost involved.

Anyway, I bought a system from a seller here that was removed from an RS6. It had the head unit, the replacement XM module, BlueTooth and a Dice iPod adapter. I KNEW it had been functional in his car, so I wouldn't be caught out chasing down obscure or expensive parts around the world and waiting for them. We agreed on a price, and the box was shipped. It took several months to get the installer and my schedules coordinated, and the box sat until he arrived. Upon unpacking, we found some damage to the head unit (although the shipping box looked good), there was at least one missing cable, there's no user manual (which is larger than the entire vehicle's user manual, apparently) and we're confused about whether we have all the other cabling and connectors we need. The seller and I are in contact and working it all out, so don't misconstrue this as an attack on him. And, the installer's brother has whatever cables we need (or is making them). So, in the end, this will be 100% functional.

Anyway, let me just suggest to you that experience and familiarity with the systems, connections and parts matters. Mine is a Euro unit that was re-flashed. It works perfectly fine. You will need the FM adaptor pigtail. The XM/Sirius module merely replaces the existing one. If you're considering a basic install (RNS and Satellite module), I think you ought to be able to handle it. You will have to splice into or access the speed sensor. It does require the removal of the instrument cluster. Although, we couldn't get the screws undone and had to splice into the speed sensor from the OEM nav system located in the left trunk compartment. Other than that, it's pretty simple. However, if you want to add modules (BT, iPod, etc.), it can get complicated quickly.

Good luck!

CW