Thread: At last, the rumoured 4.0 litre V8 is arriving... in a Bentley

At last, the rumoured 4.0 litre V8 is arriving... in a Bentley

Yes, folks, the much anticipated 4.0-litre V8 from VAG is about to be launched in the new Bentley Continental GT.

It'll make the car significantly lighter, particularly at the front end. and it'll also be more frugal with improved emissions. But how will affect performance?

I imagine that the TFSI will be good for about 400-480 bhp. It should crack 0-60 in under 5.0 seconds and top 186 mph / 300 kph in an A7. But Bentley may sacrifice horsepower for economy. So, the final output may be nearer 400 bhp and the top speed could be limited to 155 mph / 250 kph. it'll still need to crack 0-60 mph in under 5.0 seconds, or it won't be credible.

What do you think, then?

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Yes, folks, the much anticipated 4.0-litre V8 from VAG is about to be launched in the new Bentley Continental GT.

It'll make the car significantly lighter, particularly at the front end. and it'll also be more frugal with improved emissions. But how will affect performance?

I imagine that the TFSI will be good for about 400-480 bhp. It should crack 0-60 in under 5.0 seconds and top 186 mph / 300 kph in an A7. But Bentley may sacrifice horsepower for economy. So, the final output may be nearer 400 bhp and the top speed could be limited to 155 mph / 250 kph. it'll still need to crack 0-60 mph in under 5.0 seconds, or it won't be credible.

What do you think, then?
    I saw your post after I put my comment here

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...l=1#post196186

I hope near power will be near 500hp barrier

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post
    I saw your post after I put my comment here

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...l=1#post196186
    Same for me...

Environmental issues are a constrain but I do not believe Bentley will release anything below 500hp

A second engine option
    A bigger change, however, is coming. Late next year, the Continental GT will add a second engine choice: an all-new 4.0-liter V-8. Although the V-8 is being developed with Audi, it, like the W-12, will be built at Crewe. Bentley isn't ready to talk about output (expect to hear more at this spring's Geneva auto show), but the company promises a 40 percent reduction in emissions. Bentley bosses insist that the 4.0-liter won't be an entry-level model, and that the V-8 and the W-12 will be positioned side-by-side.
    The quote is from Automobile Mag and it pretty much confirms the V8 4.0TT will have at least 500bhp, since the W12 6.0 TT had a power bump to 567 hp.

By the way nice new avatar Tailpipe......... Is this the "choosen color" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyklon5 View Post
    The quote is from Automobile Mag and it pretty much confirms the V8 4.0TT will have at least 500bhp, since the W12 6.0 TT had a power bump to 567 hp.
    Very good news ! I love the Conti Gt and the new release looks awsome and deserves and minimal standing in terms of engine

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    By the way nice new avatar Tailpipe......... Is this the "choosen color" ?
    No, I want to go for a dark blue RS3. The Sprint Blue is exceptionally nice, but it's a bright colour and I worry that I might grow tired of it too quickly. One other reason to prefer a dark colour is that the underlying plastic of most Audi bumpers is black, so if you get a parking ding, it shows up like a spot on a teenager's face. Since my wife will also be driving the car and is visually challenged when identifying the size of London parking spaces, i reckon a dark colour is essential.

I agree about the Conti needing 500 bhp. To be honest, I think they should launch it with the 4.0-litre TFSI and dump the heavy, thirsty W12. As a second engine, I'd love to see a 4.0 litre diesel with massive torque and great economy. i wonder if they considered putting the Mulsanne's 6.75 litre V8 in it too? That's a 500 bhp masterpiece too.

In fact, i think the 4.0-litre V8 will outsell the W12 10 to 1.

Well I agree and the trend is unevitable. I however recon a W12 provides a fantastic piece of engineering to the driver...

You can expect high power 4.0 V8 TFSI in Conti mated with 8 speed ZF autobox(same from new A8).

If the W12 has 567hp then what will be expected from this 4.0 engine, could it possibly stretch as far as 500hp and still remain silky smooth, something which would be expect and demanded by a Bentley customer?