Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New RS4 next year ...

Thanks for the (precious) informations !

I think V8 and 450 HP, the same is in the RS5

Quote Originally Posted by Fehli View Post
    I think V8 and 450 HP, the same is in the RS5
    What is there to think?! Qisha confirmed it, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

well... the quattro GmbH is going through changes, as i mentioned before. As you know the latest RS lineup is no longer manufatured by the quattro GmbH itself but rather on the regular production line. For myself this has pros and cons but the cons are moving quite towards the opposite with time running by. Coming along with this "changes" all final decisions are made @Ingolstadt. Time will tell if this turns out the way it is supposed to be...

So, yes the RS 4 is coming, decision has been made lately. What to expect: Avant only, shares setup with RS 5, will be available faster than you expect.

Whoever is dreaming about a forced V8 in the B Segment Class... time to wake up. This is not going to happen. The upcoming way is light, economical but still powerful... and i like it.

Qisha

PS: pro f.e. - there will be as much RS models available at one time as never before.
    Am I right in thinking that the RS lineup is now produced away from quattro GmbH but that they are finalised there?

Also, you mention that it will be quicker than we think, does this mean that the mistakes made with the RS5 will not be repeated, i.e. this car will be quicker than it's rivals and not the other way round?

Another thing, sure the 4.2FSi is a great engine, but being a normally aspirated engine weight plays a big role in how quick they are because their are traditionally lacking in torque compared to a turbo engine. So why stick with an engine that has proved to be slower than the competition?

Have you something up your sleeve like different gearing, less weight or possibly even more power?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the RS lineup is now produced away from quattro GmbH but that they are finalised there?

Also, you mention that it will be quicker than we think, does this mean that the mistakes made with the RS5 will not be repeated, i.e. this car will be quicker than it's rivals and not the other way round?

Another thing, sure the 4.2FSi is a great engine, but being a normally aspirated engine weight plays a big role in how quick they are because their are traditionally lacking in torque compared to a turbo engine. So why stick with an engine that has proved to be slower than the competition?

Have you something up your sleeve like different gearing, less weight or possibly even more power?
    I think what he meant is that it is gonna be available sooner than we can anticipate!
    Also, force fed engines are to be reserved for the next B segment generations and they will be V6 FI ''only''... V8s TFSI's are for upper classes RS (RS6/7)!

Qisha,

You are most enigmatic! That means that RS4 gets either a forced 3.0-litre V6 or a naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8.

Since BMW is returning to a 6-cylinder engine in the M3, I expect Audi will also offer one in the the RS4. It'll save weight and be more easily Euro 6 complaint than a naturally aspirated V8. I don't see much development potential left in the NA 4.2 V8. I think its days are over.

Since the acquisition of Porsche, it looks like the new 4.0 litre V8 is now being reserved for C segment vehicles and above. If Audi has to share this engine with so many other VW brands, including Bentley, then it is unlikely to put in low down models.

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    I think what he meant is that it is gonna be available sooner than we can anticipate!
    Also, force fed engines are to be reserved for the next B segment generations and they will be V6 FI ''only''... V8s TFSI's are for upper classes RS (RS6/7)!
    Ah, I totally missed the word "available". Well then that whole post was a total waste.

But I still think giving it the same engine would be a mistake, especially as the Avant will probably prove to be even heavier.

Qisha, if you have any say regarding the RS4 then please stress the importance to give it an engine capable of placed the car at the top instead of an also ran.

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

well... the quattro GmbH is going through changes, as i mentioned before. As you know the latest RS lineup is no longer manufatured by the quattro GmbH itself but rather on the regular production line. For myself this has pros and cons but the cons are moving quite towards the opposite with time running by. Coming along with this "changes" all final decisions are made @Ingolstadt. Time will tell if this turns out the way it is supposed to be...

So, yes the RS 4 is coming, decision has been made lately. What to expect: Avant only, shares setup with RS 5, will be available faster than you expect.

Whoever is dreaming about a forced V8 in the B Segment Class... time to wake up. This is not going to happen. The upcoming way is light, economical but still powerful... and i like it.

Qisha

PS: pro f.e. - there will be as much RS models available at one time as never before.
    Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Qisha,

You are most enigmatic! That means that RS4 gets either a forced 3.0-litre V6 or a naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8.

Since BMW is returning to a 6-cylinder engine in the M3, I expect Audi will also offer one in the the RS4. It'll save weight and be more easily Euro 6 complaint than a naturally aspirated V8. I don't see much development potential left in the NA 4.2 V8. I think its days are over.

Since the acquisition of Porsche, it looks like the new 4.0 litre V8 is now being reserved for C segment vehicles and above. If Audi has to share this engine with so many other VW brands, including Bentley, then it is unlikely to put in low down models.
    We can clearly see he meant 4.2 V8 since both are from the same platform (which is already aging by the way), and it would have been unreasonable to offer different engines for basically the same car! next M3 is too far away, possibly as 2014 model and no need to offer counterpart for that yet! They can still exploit very good ''setup'' of the RS5 which is maybe not to someones liking at the moment but it is as it is!

they'd have to make the RS4 soon. B8 cycle is halfway done almost. i assume the"B" segment is the A4/5 segment?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

If this upcoming RS4 gets the RS5 engine it will be a joke ! How can you then motivate B7 owners to switch for "same engine" and 30 hp more ? And more weight thanks to all new electronic toys...

Sounds not possible to me

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    If this upcoming RS4 gets the RS5 engine it will be a joke ! How can you then motivate B7 owners to switch for "same engine" and 30 hp more ? And more weight thanks to all new electronic toys...

Sounds not possible to me
    i agree. it'll be heavy. beautiful and super refined. and use lots of gas. it wouldn't take much money for audi to produce it since RS cars are now mass produced. so why not. if they can sell a few thou then go for it. it'll be the last of the "old formula" RS cars.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Exactly! Don't expect too much! If they wanted to make it the way most of you want it to be, they would have made RS5 to be like that at first place! This is going to be just a milking of the existing formula (read: squeezing more money) before beginning of the whole new direction with the next generation..

I didn't think Audi would do this, and I don't like it. Could I have a RS4 B5 please?

If we were on a BMW board everybody would be raving of joy how they were keeping N/A engines alive! Instead, over there, they are doing the same: bitching about why going with FI direction...
    We have to be aware that what Audi is doing is becoming #1 sporty German car of choice and trying to steel some of (if not all) the mantra BMW used to jealously own. On that way they want to steel as many as possible of competitor's former and current owners/adorers and by offering such choice as n/a engine is the wisest thing they can do at the moment since that's the formula a real car enthusiast would prefer most of the time as it offers the most of driving feel. It may be something as you, an old Audi fan, don't like, but remember - Audi wasn't that successful in past and they didn't obviously have such products to become #1. Their target is to become the best, some of us will have to accept, be patient and by the time there will be products that would please everyone's taste! I am really positive about that!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    I didn't think Audi would do this, and I don't like it. Could I have a RS4 B5 please?
    NEW RS4 Avant will have same engine and gearbox as RS5. Decisions have been made. Period.

Little remark from me... I am not enthusastic at all about idea of high output 2.5TFSI with around 420ps/570Nm.... That engine could suffer from turbo lug, even with clever S tronic programming... So, quattro Gmbh-prove to us that you can build as good gearbox/engine interface as in current Porshce 911 Turbo S(PDK is awsome IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    NEW RS4 Avant will have same engine and gearbox as RS5. Decisions have been made. Period.

Little remark from me... I am not enthusastic at all about idea of high output 2.5TFSI with around 420ps/570Nm.... That engine could suffer from turbo lug, even with clever S tronic programming... So, quattro Gmbh-prove to us that you can build as good gearbox/engine interface as in current Porshce 911 Turbo S(PDK is awsome IMHO).
    that's an important news,thanks. I thought the choice was 3.0tfsi powerful version instead again NA

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post

Yes, I've figured that out now. But still, I'm a little bit disappointed. :-)

I'm with you on the PDK front, great stuff from Porsche.

Agree and like Porsche did Audi should modify the paddles : make the paddle shift bigger and more visible behind the steering wheel.