Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi S7 and RS7

Question Audi S7 and RS7

Sorry if you were expecting pictures and specifications when you clicked on this thread.

I know as little as you, but let's start the rumor mill.

What sort of engines will these babies have?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

new V8 TT such as BMW's and new Merc and it will be difficult to match them or do even better as both are great piece of engineering

I do not believe the V10 N/A or TT will be there.

How far away from production is the RS7 ?

4.0 tfsi "must" have 480-500hp to stay ahead of mb&bmw imho
    x5m 4.4 has 555hp...
    I guess we will see soon a Performance pack for the new v8 twinturbo mercedes engine over the standard 435hp power..

Audi would have to pull a twincharged 4.0T miracle out of its hat to jump ahead of bmw and mercedes in the engine of the year department. And I know that is not going to happen.

The 4.0T would probably come in different versions- as has the current 4.2. If it is a 4.0 displacement it is going to need signifcant boost to hit over 550 hp. The S7 will need 450 hp to be competitive- since it is meant to go head to head vs the 550i and E550 both of which are only RWD and, hence, lighter (and make ~400hp). The RS7- which is light years out in debut- will need 600 hp. the new M5/6 are expected to put out close to 600 hp.
    Last edited by RXBG; July 30th, 2010 at 15:13.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

The RS7 will need something like, at least, 580-600 turbocharged horses to be able to compete.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

It has been already confirmed few times and leaked as well...the new S7 gets new 4.0 tfsi with 395hp!
    below is the link with all leaked and confirmed engines till now in reality, so quite trustworthy!
    http://www.audiblog.nl/?p=1940

it will need DSG to keep up- and at least 400 of torque- to be faster than the 550i and E550.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I hope Audi keeps the V10TT for RS7, it's just such a strong engine. As for the S7, it looks like the 395 horsepower 4.0T will be the engine, but I don't think the horsepower rating is very accurate. Much like the new S4 with only 333 horsepower outperforms the 354 horsepower S5. In fact the new A8 with the good old 4.2 FSI has very similar performance to the old S8. The S7 should easily leave the S6 in the dust.

don't think v10s FI have a future with audis anymore! if built, the rs7 would for sure get higher tuned version of v8 from s7! v10 will probably retain it's place of n/a exotic only meant for r8 or similar kind!

Anyway when it comes to big limousine/sedan such as class E/S, serie 7 Audi is behind competition o
    The former S8 was a great car but not anymore. Nothing better in this segment than AMGs IMO.

^
    Only currently!
    Also, AMG's are not that special! Big, dragster engines with no clear differentiation between models and even more unclear numeration! Too many options and states of tunning which makes them not that special to me! I guess that's their product strategy! S, RS (and Ms for BMW in past) are much better (clearer) positioned in the segment with more direct connection to the racing technology and sport tunning!

The new AMG turbo engine looks interesting. I hope Audi is watching, closely.

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    ^
    Only currently!
    Also, AMG's are not that special! Big, dragster engines with no clear differentiation between models and even more unclear numeration! Too many options and states of tunning which makes them not that special to me! I guess that's their product strategy! S, RS (and Ms for BMW in past) are much better (clearer) positioned in the segment with more direct connection to the racing technology and sport tunning!
    On this segment you are not looking for a "dynamic cornering" car and none of them are/will be. Then engine wise AMGs are by far the most amaizing and plesent. I must admit that there is no real competition challenging AMGs at least in Germany yet. Let us hope that Audi will make it.

i have to agree that AMG's latest engines are really good. efficient and very powerful and torquey. it seems as though merc doesn't mind changing things often-- whereas audi insists on stubbornly staying with the same thing and adding and refining it, yet not achieveing a whole lot. yes, this may be fattening their bottom line, but they can't keep squeezing juice out of the lemon for much longer. consumers have already commented on the RS5 engine (as good as it is)- it is not a great achievement. were merc to build an amg with DSG that they put the new 5.5 in it would kill the RS5.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I don't think AMG engines are much of an achievement! for high performance engines they intend to be, they are underpowered even if they were n/a only, but they are not (speaking of 5.5TT) since even with the help of turbos they produce less than 100hp/liter of displacement! Also the 6.2l one in it's best ''sls'' produces ''only'' 560hp! It's not bad, but, I mean - look at the BMW 4.4l turbo with around the same power... new audi's 4.0 v8 in D4 S8 will have slightly less power (500hP) but from much smaller displacement hence lighter! I don't worry abt audi, they have resources and exactly know what they are doing! maybe it's only problem with us and our impatience! AMG should go back and do what they know the best - producing nice wheels and exterior kit for mercs!

Smaller displacement doesn't directly translate into lighter engines. The problem with this V8 4.0 TFSI it's exactly the same as with the RS5, much awaited and a positive evolution but nowhere near the image/marketing vector and game changing product Audi needs.

Big displacement turbo Audi had for a long time (v10 5.0tt with 580hp) so it's not behind in that area compared to Merc-AMG/BMW! We can say easily AUDI pioneered that concept! We don't know what the future will bring for RS6/7 but for now we can/should be satisfied with introduction of V8 4.o tfsi which will cover the gap and replace the old 4.2 V8 in many guises! Different manufacturers - different concepts! No one is behind, whilst one is focusing on introducing new model lines other do update their engine portfolios! Time will tell who was right in terms of sales!

"sister" bentley continental gt was updated today and later will be available a 4l engine..I guess audi will share the 4.0tfsi with a specific character adapted for bentley... right?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/07/2...l-gt-revealed/

The new 4.0-litre V8 engine honours Bentley's environmental commitment to deliver a powertrain that achieves a 40 percent improvement in CO2 emissions. The new V8 is being designed specifically by Bentley's engineers to deliver all the exhilarating power and torque synonymous with the marque. The new Crewe-built engine will also offer a class-leading CO2 emissions-to-power ratio . When offered on the new Continental GT, the V8 will provide a new price entry point for both new and existing customers.