Thread: HELP. IC Hose popping off!

Mech HELP. IC Hose popping off!

Sorted through the intake system and eliminated leaks... Wow does the car run strong. BUT...

Now my lower intercooler hoses are popping off... my car has an MTM tune, so it spikes to 18 psi and holds 15, which is apparently too much for the stock IC clamps.

I ordered some T-bolt clamps, but in the mean time,

anybody have a technique to help keep the IC hoses from wiggling free under boost?

I think Pat mentioned something in the past about cleaning/roughing up with emery paper. I have cleaned the hoses and pipes with rubbing alcohol, not sure if it's kosher to use anything stronger than that.

The good news is now I can get my splash guard off in 3 minutes, and I discovered a torn CV boot when I was under there, got that taken care of and saved my CV.

My suggestion is the same as Pat's except in the past I have used Brake cleaner. The stock hoses get harder with age and very slick with oil on them. With more boost I would definitley recommend going the Silicone hose route for a piece of mine. T-bolt are the way to go but the Constant Tourqe T-bolt are even better.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The t-bolts will help immensly, but I would recommend the Venair hoses as well. None the less, I used to clean my stock hoses with lacquer thinner at every oil change. I don't know that I would sand them, but the Lacquer thinner should do the trick.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Are your DVs working properly -- it sounds like the pressure is spiking like they are sticking and if you "fix" the popping off you may be in for bigger issues. Run logs and make sure the DVs are working right too!
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JRS-RS6 View Post
    Are your DVs working properly -- it sounds like the pressure is spiking like they are sticking and if you "fix" the popping off you may be in for bigger issues. Run logs and make sure the DVs are working right too!
    Thanks for the replies, men. The DVs are brand new Bosch Sports from Hoppen, and all vacuum lines have been replaced with silicone. Logs have always looked good on my car.

When I say spiking, I mean boost hits 18 psi for a nanosecond on hard throttle then settles and holds at 14-15 psi... pretty typical for a tuned VAG car in my experience.

Going to clean hoses again and re-torque everything.

I kind of take it as a good sign that nothing is leaking in the intake system that this is happening, the car is running so strong right now the acceleration is astonishing

V-Band clamps from Vibrant performance.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Perfor.../dp/B002SP982G

Wow. Look at that bad boy.

If that doesn't hold 'er on, nothing will! Thanks Willie.

Update: hoses holding well with stock clamps til the t-bolt clamps show up.

Used lacquer thinner per Pat's suggestion, and cleaned a bunch of black oily crap out of the ends of the hoses that rubbing alcohol didn't pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Wow. Look at that bad boy.

If that doesn't hold 'er on, nothing will! Thanks Willie.
    These clamps hold up at 30psi of boost and higher. They are not coming off. We had a 2.7T blowing of oe clamps, put these on and we no longer have that problem.

The clamp in the pic looks like a flange clamp. You need the T-bolt band clamp. The clamp pictured is for exhaust systems I believe. Same basic design though except for the deep center channel to go around where the two flanges meet.
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    The clamp in the pic looks like a flange clamp. You need the T-bolt band clamp. The clamp pictured is for exhaust systems I believe. Same basic design though except for the deep center channel to go around where the two flanges meet.
    Hahn I think you are right but Vibrant Performance sells them.

Just wanted to make sure somebody didn't order the wrong clamps.
    Roy, WA

Well, duh. That explains the flanges. Posted from my phone, thanks for correcting.

T-bolt clamps will cure the problem for sure.

But normally these clamps only pop off because they have been tapped on the ground and are damaged, same goes for the hose also. It is a very common RS6 problem, since the intercoolers and lower pipes rest mm off the belly pan.

I have never had a GOOD oem clamp pop off on me. I am sure if you replaced clamps it will be fine