Thread: passenger #905790 now on the crazy train!

passenger #905790 now on the crazy train!

Wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all. I've had a thing for the rs6 that goes back far enough that I honestly don't remember when or where I first learned of the beast. But I do know my car buddies are sick of hearing me tell the tale of the rs6.

Well now they can listen to that beautiful baritone growl of my (finally) very own rs6 rather than my incessant pining for one. God I love how she sounds!

VIN 905790 -93,699 mi -Avus silver - silver interior - CF -winter pkg. - no mods that I know of yet.

This is the car that Lancerator posted a thread about driving his first rs6. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...e-my-first-RS6! I do want to fill in some of the blanks from that thread about the cars maintenance history and I will do that soon.

I think I may be RS6 forum member_ 905084's anti-doppelganger. We're both in Utah but I am no DIYer I know my strengths and I stick to my knitting and wrenching is simply not one of my "core competencies ". I SO wish it was, but it ain't. I usually prefer to be the 2nd or 3rd owner but since I'm always a bit on the annal side about doing my homework and thoroughly researching the maintenance history, in this case I've made an exception because the ownership history makes sense.

She's a late vin number and wasn't built until Dec. 2003 and not even imported until Feb. 2004 and was titled the first time on 2-13-2004. The first owner was in New Mexico and had her for just under 3 years and put 52k miles on her. She was then sold as a CPO in Utah. That CPO owner only kept her for 2 MONTHS and 3k miles. (My guess is they didn't fully comprehend how different this was going to be from an A6 and rather than appreciating her remarkable gifts, they only saw how thirsty she was at the pump) the dealer then sold her to 3rd owner who kept her only 3 MONTHS and drove her a bit over 5k miles in that time. So over almost exactly a 2 year period she had 2 individual owners, logged a total of 10k miles and was in dealer inventory all but 5 months of that time. Now normally this would concern me were it not for her 4th owner who bought her from the dealership in Dec. 2008 at not quite 5 years old with 61,533 miles now on her. He (Jeff) owned her for 3 years and 1 month and put 31k miles on her. He had her serviced at a dealership and at an award winning local Indy shop (Utah Imports).

I have spoken with both dealerships here in Utah that have worked on her about exactly what was and was not done. I spoke with the guys at Utah imports about her and what / when they did work on her. I paid for a pre-purchase inspection at the Indy shop that some of my friends take their BMW and Audi stuff to called Precision European since she had never been worked on there and the Owner Jack himself test drove her and checked for codes and did much of the inspection. And since by that time I had done my homework on her, we had a 15 min. Discussion not just about what he saw and felt but also specifically about areas that I had concerns about based on the history and rs6 known issues to be on the lookout for such as turbos, T/C tranny etc...

I don't know much about what was done in N.M. by the first owner only that he kept her 3 years and drove her a lot. I do know that all but those last 2k miles he had free maintenance from Audi so I'm not worried about not having service records for that period. I know she was brought up to CPO snuff at 52k miles including the dealer putting on 4 new Michelin Super Sports at 52k miles. That's important because 1k miles later a single tire was replaced, which on an AWD can be problematic, if it were not for the fact the remaining tires had only 1k miles on them (the car had these tires still on her when I took ownership of her and they show remarkably even wear with just a little evidence of the camber from the AWD and have 5/32 tread left on them so look to have a couple more summer seasons in them. I assume being here in UT that they were being rotated seasonally with a pair of snow tires which I believe Jeff kept for the S4 he is buying). The single tire replacement happened in late spring in UT so I have a suspicion that the culprit was a nasty pothole and also 2500 miles later at 55k miles the entire rack and pinion steering system was replaced under warranty. Sorry, I don't believe in coincidence.

This is the service at 55k miles that the carfax report stated "engine replaced" but that was merely a case of the dealer having to pull out the engine to get to the "steering gear" and replace the R & P and then put the engine back in. It is the original engine and she runs smooth.

In Oct. Of 2007 while in dealer inventory the DRC was replaced under warranty with a Stasis Ohlin kit. This in turn was pulled out by the other Audi dealer in our area on 12-19-2011 and replaced with the OEM DRC.

The complete 75k mi service was performed by Utah Imports at 75,319 mi plus the tyranny fluid was changed at this time. Everything was done with OEM parts and fluids. I have evidence of oil changes at 10k mi intervals. Also, on 1/9/12 at 92,748 mi Utah Imports did the complete front brakes with OEM pads/rotors. Previous to that the front pads and rotors were replaced by Dave Strong Audi dealership at 60,407 mi on 5/6/08.

The pre-purchase inspection showed no stored codes, the fluids looked good and the transmission was solid when driven with no signs of slipping. Jack really liked what he felt when test driving it and felt it was a very solid rs6 when looking at it on the lift as well as when driving it.

However, it is the originally T/C and the original turbos from what I can tell. So I know to be on the watch for any issues with those going forward(A.C.E. and Scroll right?). And he did see early signs around the valve cover gasket.

But other than those I believe her to be clean. I'm about to put on Perelli P-Zero Nero all seasons until summer and have already contacted Francois at Horchaus in Montreal to get the MTM TCU chipped and I spoke with Brian at BND and my Aces 4 is on its way, wondering if when I do the 95k mi service if I should put in Quantum Blue and do the ATF early with Quantum Blue as well in an effort to protect that T/C as much as possible. Because my right foot is NOT down with "protecting the tranny" my right foot is all about the fun!

Apologies if that was terribly boring but I just wanted to get that all down for posterity while it was all fresh and in front of me so I can move on to driving the beast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114023&.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	12298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_113815&.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	12299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114115&.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	12300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_113900&.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	12301  

here's a few more pics Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114304&.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	12302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114401&.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	12303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114152&.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	12304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114336&.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	12305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114231&.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	12306

And her beauty is not just skin deep, she's pretty on the inside too!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114735&.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	12311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114512&.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	12308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114604&.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	12309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114711&.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	12310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120214_114542&.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	12307

Holy blue lense filter! Congrats!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

why in god's name would anyone pull out Stasis coilovers for a "new" DRC??

Welcome aboard!!! You are in for one HAIRY ride!

Stow all overhead items and put up all tray tables.
    In case of a water emergency, your seat cushion can be used as a floatation device.
    While we never anticipate a drop in cabin pressure....

Queue OZZY...

Quote Originally Posted by twinsteve View Post
    Amen to that!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Welcome aboard the...

210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by twinsteve View Post
    Agree!... WTF???
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

i had heard of DRC's being replaced more than once, so i had not thought much about "what" was being replaced. But i am in touch with the previous owner and the dealership that did the most recent replacement. So on Mon. I will contact both and ask what the reason the Stassis was removed and double check on what was actually installed.

Thanks for the heads up guys, that had not seemed off to me. I was only interested in knowing it was in good working order.

So now i'm curious to know what do you feel in the handling that you guys like the Stassis over the DRC?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    i had heard of DRC's being replaced more than once, so i had not thought much about "what" was being replaced. But i am in touch with the previous owner and the dealership that did the most recent replacement. So on Mon. I will contact both and ask what the reason the Stassis was removed and double check on what was actually installed.

Thanks for the heads up guys, that had not seemed off to me. I was only interested in knowing it was in good working order.

So now i'm curious to know what do you feel in the handling that you guys like the Stassis over the DRC?
    Just out of curiousity, did the previous owner forward onto you the Stassis components?...

I test drove 7 RS6's over the last year before buying... Only 1 of 5 had a DRC in proper working order---the other two had aftermarket components. There was no correlation to mileage since repair and function either... The RS6 with a full functioning DRC had it repaired over 65k miles ago!

Hope the new DRC system holds-up well for you going foreward.... I think most here would agree: When the system IS working as designed, it is awesome! When not, it rides, sounds and leaks like a 15 year old 200k mile Subaru... For me, a well-sorted RS6 is the absolute perfect blend of class, luxury, power, performance and understated elegance... The crashy, noisy, clunky and leaky DRC suspension was an embarassment carrying passengers and had me looking foreward to driving my daily driver with 240k miles.... Perpetual DRC repair was not an option for me when simpler, more robust less expensive replacement options are available.

With the newly installed Koni's over oem springs, it's now smooth when expected, firm and sporty when needed and overall quiet and compliant.... Did I mention quiet?

Congrats! And welcome aboard!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post

You can search and read all day long on the P.O.S DRC....not if but when re: when it sh^^^ the bed....Stassis is top-flight product..I have ridden in an RS6 is them and it's very nice

congrats. eeeh my last 'the fix' DRC actual worked for the last 20K miles i owned m car and really did work great. I don't think people are seeing failures of the post recall units when installed correctly so you may be just fine.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Well i spoke with the previous owner about the Stasis/DRC lowdown.

He said the rear shocks on the stasis failed under warranty and stasis was hard to communicate with, they didn't respond to emails and the phone and after finally hounding them to replace those shocks they soon failed again and he again had a bad experience trying to communicate with them so when he had an opportunity to have Audi replace it with the latest Gen of the DRC he went that route.

Wow!! I had no idea you were in Ogden. Was this the RS on consignment? You have definitely done your homework (unlike me!). If you do find a guy that is well versed in the RS let me know. Congrats and enjoy the ride on the "Crazy Train"! Aptly named, I must say...

hey there 905084! I lived in Park City for a decade from 1987-1997 we lived in old town on Lowell Ave. Moved there to ski but its the summers that i miss now. Best summer climate in the world imho! Miss those gorgeous summer afternoons after the sun has dropped behind the ridgeline and there's still 5 hours of indirect daylight left and the temps drop into the 70's mmmmm best recreation time

Yeah i did my homework...cause i cant turn a wrench like you can. I still ended up buying a 2/24 powertrain warranty just to CYA if something ever goes where it will pay to pull the engine i hope to get the other major stuff taken care of all at once. Turbos-T/C-etc.