Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: Replace Front Pads

I think there was a design issue early on and paint grinding was in order. Now it seems ebc has resolved it.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

When Pat helped me put my car in proper working order last year, we found out that a lot of break dust gathered at the bottom cover plate of the caliper. New pads would not sit properly nor float freely until that area was thoroughly cleaned. Pat was able to take off one plate, but not the other. It was a real pain. Same sadisitic Audi engineer who designed air filter box must have added this design feature to front calipers.
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

Ok, I am testimony to the fact that changing the pads is not difficult .. 1 hour on the left side as I familiarized myself with the job... then 20 mins on the right. I did have some difficulty getting the lower pads fitted on both sides..very tight on the ends. That's consistent with the comment above from vr430. Next time I'll scrub the area completely.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

yes, brake dust settles under the spring clip!

I did mine two weeks ago, while barbequing dinner! LOL, 20 minutes max each side, takes longer to jack the car and remove the wheel than to remove the caliper and pull the pads.

Pulling the pins is a fools errund. Just pull the caliper off, much easier.

Mike

hi Guys, old topic I know but did anyone save the pics?