Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My alternator has checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Remember,

Revo 599 with the flashloader right now.

Deal of the century.
    No argument there. That is a smokin deal. I like my boutique tunes though.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Good enough for me...but i still want to see the results. ;-)
    There will be plenty of data in the near future. I hadn't planned on bringing the car back to the dyno, until I actually drove it. Now I want to know myself. The thing was absolutely brutal from 60-120mph. Anyhow, I'm going to start an appropriate thread tomorrow, but for now, it's late, and I don't feel I have enough seat time or data to really describe the tune.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Toss me the keys. I will give her alittle seat time.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    No argument there. That is a smokin deal. I like my boutique tunes though.

There will be plenty of data in the near future. I hadn't planned on bringing the car back to the dyno, until I actually drove it. Now I want to know myself. The thing was absolutely brutal from 60-120mph. Anyhow, I'm going to start an appropriate thread tomorrow, but for now, it's late, and I don't feel I have enough seat time or data to really describe the tune.

Easy, all you have to do is source a second ecu, then go to the dealer and have it installed and recoded to your immobilizer ($120-144), then you can switch back and forth between the two at will. I've been doing it for a while. As for the tcu's, you can switch any tcu into your car at any time without having to recode anything. With the Viper tune, Rich can send you a flashloader and the tune can be loaded into your stock ecu, and then switched back to stock at any time. No need for a second ecu. I chose to retain my stock ecu, and send out my second Eurocharged ecu to be flashed. That's why I didn't opt for the flashloader option, I was worried he'd have trouble writing over the existing tune, and I was right. He ended up soldering in a new E-prom in order to write the ecu.
    ( Went on a little errand, you should be asleep by now but I'm too excited to wait 'til AM)
    OK, I just spent $950 for a custom Unitronic tune a few months ago. That said, I would like to "save" my Unitronic tune, just because(see previous sentence). So I guess I'll need the Flash Loader. My TCU has the MTM chip, can that tune also be saved and swap in the Viper TCU tune via F_Loader?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    ( Went on a little errand, you should be asleep by now but I'm too excited to wait 'til AM)
    OK, I just spent $950 for a custom Unitronic tune a few months ago. That said, I would like to "save" my Unitronic tune, just because(see previous sentence). So I guess I'll need the Flash Loader. My TCU has the MTM chip, can that tune also be saved and swap in the Viper TCU tune via F_Loader?
    No, the tcu cannot be flashed. I believe the Viper tcu is an E-Prom replacement just like the MTM chip. The only way to retain both would be to have a chip socket soldered into your tcu, then you can at least switch e-proms if need be.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Like I said, seat of the pants impression is that my car has never been this violently fast.....
    Told ya!

welcome to "Club Viper". .........
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmoocher View Post
    Told ya!

welcome to "Club Viper". .........
    Thanks again for helping me to get in contact with Rich, and for your posts that pushed me in this direction. The icing on the cake is that Rich was able to turn off my secondary O2 sensors, so now I can remove those pesky cat's.

Thanks again for helping me to get in contact with Rich, and for your posts that pushed me in this direction. The icing on the cake is that Rich was able to turn off my secondary O2 sensors, so now I can remove those pesky cat's.
    You wait till you have done that Pat, the spool up is soooo much quicker- you will think that your ass is on fire!

Are you running a full milltek?

My car is stronger now than its ever been, more reliable, smoother and faster & its all down to Rich.
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmoocher View Post
    You wait till you have done that Pat, the spool up is soooo much quicker- you will think that your ass is on fire!

Are you running a full milltek?

My car is stronger now than its ever been, more reliable, smoother and faster & its all down to Rich.
    Nah, I have an Eisenmann exhaust, and I'll be removing the cat's from my factory downpipes. I realize the benifits of better flowing 3" aftermarket downpipes, but for now, I'm toying with the idea of trying to stick to a budget with the car.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to stick to a budget with the car.
    HA!

He said budget!!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    HA!

He said budget!!!!
    I couldn't even type that with a straight face. Hey, do you still want that MTM chip? I'll be removing it tonight, I could mail it off tomorrow.

You guys are right suckers for Rich! Someone not letting us in on something? lol

Now that my Alternator appears to possibly be a problem I looked at the Bentley Manual, and the alternator can be changed from below. That is the exact method listed in the book.

So this repair should not be that bad to have done, or to do!

- Disconnect battery Page 27-4 .

- Loosen fasteners -1-, -2-, -3- and -4- and remove noise insulation panel.

CAUTION!

Before removing ribbed belt, mark direction of rotation. Belt damage will result if not reinstalled in proper direction.

- Swing ribbed belt tensioner in direction of -arrow- to release tension on ribbed belt using a box-head wrench.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27-76

- Position tensioning device by inserting 3204 drift into the alignment bore -arrows-.
    - Remove ribbed belt from generator pulley.
    - Position oil catch tray under engine in area of oil line.

- Separate oil line -1-.
    - Remove bolts -2- and -3- and remove retaining clip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27-77

- Remove charge air cooler hose -arrows-.

- Remove nut and eyelet terminal 30/B+ -2- from generator.
    - Disconnect electrical connection -1- for terminal D+.

27-78

- Remove generator mounting bolts -arrows-.
    - Remove generator downward and out.

Installing

Install in reverse order of removal, noting the following:

- Note running direction of belt as marked.

- Make sure ribbed belt is seated and installed correctly in the following sequence:
    1 - Upper idler
    2 - Crankshaft
    3 - Tensioning roller
    4 - Lower idler
    5 - Power steering pump
    6 - A/C compressor
    7 - Generator

27-79

- Move ribbed belt tension in direction of -arrow-
    - Remove drift 3204.
    - Check and refill engine oil if necessary.
    - Reconnect battery Page 27-6 .
    - Start engine and check path of belt.

See Caution for switching Telematics battery (off/on), recoding radio and setting power windows Page 27-73 .

Tightening torques

Component

Nm

Generator to engine
    M8

M10

Terminal 30/B+ to generator

Oil line

Oil line retainer

the details on the "Swing ribbed belt tensioner in direction of -arrow" and "incert drift pin" are a bit sketchy since the drawing is not very good AND the same direction for the tensioner is shown in both pictures LOL...

Scratch that, I GET IT>..it just swings the Tensioner to loosen the tension, not actually unscrewing anything D'oh...

Mike

It implies not much engine oil is lost while the line is disconnected, but that's GOT to be messy...LOL

One last thing on this altenator.

WTF..

Why does the RS6 use/need a different alternator than the A6,A8,A4 V8 engines? Surely the A8 loaded with all the electronic goodies requires the same alternator???

I find this very strange!!!!

Does the High Torque of the RS6 engine somehow spin the alternator any faster??? NO.
    Does the High Torque of the RS6 engine somehow change rev speed that much faster than the other engines that it somehow applies a faster Rate of INCREASE Spin speed to the Alternator?
    Does the RS6 engine use a different A/C compressor? A different Power Steering Pump???

What????

I bet the same alternator from any run of the mill Audi V8 would work just fine in the RS6...

Mike

checking online suppliers.

The alternator for the 2003 S6 and the 2003 RS6 is listed as the same part number, 150 amp unit.
    The one for the A8 and S8 in 2003 is also 150 amp, but a different part number.

WTF....they could not find a way to use the same friggen part on all those cars?? D'oh..

Mike, I think due to space restrictions, intercooler piping, ect, they likely had to design the mounting differently for the and RS6. This is really just a guess after seeing the front of the car ripped off.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

No, it's 150 amps for the RS6, S6, A8 and S8 in that model year. S6 and RS6 shared the same part, A8 and S8 shared theirs.

I don't thing the actual size is all that different, other than I would think the higher amperage units would be BIGGER than the one in the regular A6.

Since the battery is no dead, I am guessing the alternator is putting out some power, enough to run the engine. From what was said above it sounds like the car would stop dead if the alternator was dead completely?

I'll decide Monday am what I am going to do. I may skip the trip to Cicero and do the Alternator myself (eat the cost to avoid the hastle of the back and forth and the possible cost of a week or more with a rental car).

I found re-furbished units online ($250 with 125 core charge).

or an small honda generator in the trunk LOL..
    Mike