Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My alternator has checked out.

hehe - a generator should give the car a little extra spark.

As far as the generators go, I guess I mean how they bolt up to the motor.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    or an small honda generator in the trunk LOL..
    The first RS6 Hybrid. Best of luck with it.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Dont you have an extended warranty on the car?

Just charge the battery over the weekend and takeoff with the generator packed for emergency. If its hwy you may be ok.

No, it's 150 amps for the RS6, S6, A8 and S8 in that model year. S6 and RS6 shared the same part, A8 and S8 shared theirs.

I don't thing the actual size is all that different, other than I would think the higher amperage units would be BIGGER than the one in the regular A6.

Since the battery is no dead, I am guessing the alternator is putting out some power, enough to run the engine. From what was said above it sounds like the car would stop dead if the alternator was dead completely?

I'll decide Monday am what I am going to do. I may skip the trip to Cicero and do the Alternator myself (eat the cost to avoid the hastle of the back and forth and the possible cost of a week or more with a rental car).

I found re-furbished units online ($250 with 125 core charge).

Mike

No, it's 150 amps for the RS6, S6, A8 and S8 in that model year. S6 and RS6 shared the same part, A8 and S8 shared theirs.

I don't thing the actual size is all that different, other than I would think the higher amperage units would be BIGGER than the one in the regular A6.

Since the battery is no dead, I am guessing the alternator is putting out some power, enough to run the engine. From what was said above it sounds like the car would stop dead if the alternator was dead completely?

I'll decide Monday am what I am going to do. I may skip the trip to Cicero and do the Alternator myself (eat the cost to avoid the hastle of the back and forth and the possible cost of a week or more with a rental car).

I found re-furbished units online ($250 with 125 core charge).

Mike
    Just for reference, I trickle charged my battery overnight before heading up to drop my car off at the dealer. They are 35 miles away, and my battery light came on as I pulled into the service drive. That's a fully charged battery with no input from the alternator.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

The Honda Generator is sounding better all the time. An hour may be stretching it.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Another option to think about, since our beast uses lots more power than regular cars (power's being used even when she's locked up & OFF) we could consider getting an uprated/H.O. alternator (200amp) to help out. In my younger days I installed a few competition stereos in cars (for fun, no charge) and a H/O alternator and capacitors were a must. Hummmm...capacitors..
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I think the alternator is working but not at full level, so I think I would not be running on battery only! Hard to say. It's risky...

"takeoff with the generator packed for emergency" unfortunately my Honda Generator is a 3500 watt unit which would not fit in the trunk!

But a smaller one LOL...my booster charger...some duct tape...bang I'm only my way...only thing missing would be the Flux Capacitor...

2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    I couldn't even type that with a straight face. Hey, do you still want that MTM chip? I'll be removing it tonight, I could mail it off tomorrow.
    Yes please, send PM for details!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Viper tuning FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Klint View Post
    You guys are right suckers for Rich! Someone not letting us in on something? lol