Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My alternator has checked out.

Clarify your last statement.

You mean alternator. right?

Pats car is DOA till an alternator makes it from Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseleg View Post
    This is so odd, while reading this last night I was thinking how lucky I am with 71k and the alt is still showing good voltage; wouldn't you know it this afternoon while returning from a pediatrician visit with my son checking on his injury from a 6 iron to the head........ my battery light came on and the gauge read 9 volts, I made it home dropped him off took out my voltmeter and the battery read 11.57 volts. I started the car the gauge went to 14v and down to 10v, I drove it to Autozone they did a test and it's my alternator. Called Audi they quoted me $1,275 for the job and $140.00 for the tow, they also said it would be 3 days since the battery is coming from NJ. Will Fidelity gold plus cover it, or will I have to fight for it?>>

Sorry I m meant Alternator, try calling Dave @ Audi of Jacksonville @904.565.4000 service option 1
    St Augustine, FL
    03 RS6
    07 GTI
    88 16v Cabby

I'm at a service station waiting on a tow truck, they claimed I have to pay extra because they were told by Audi of Jax that my car is tricked out (lowered) and it requires special attention..>>
    St Augustine, FL
    03 RS6
    07 GTI
    88 16v Cabby

Quote Originally Posted by gooseleg View Post
    This is so odd, while reading this last night I was thinking how lucky I am with 71k and the alt is still showing good voltage; wouldn't you know it this afternoon while returning from a pediatrician visit with my son checking on his injury from a 6 iron to the head........ my battery light came on and the gauge read 9 volts, I made it home dropped him off took out my voltmeter and the battery read 11.57 volts. I started the car the gauge went to 14v and down to 10v, I drove it to Autozone they did a test and it's my alternator. Called Audi they quoted me $1,275 for the job and $140.00 for the tow, they also said it would be 3 days since the battery is coming from NJ. Will Fidelity gold plus cover it, or will I have to fight for it?>>
    Your Fidelity Gold plan will cover the replacement for sure, but as stated above, good luck getting the part. I was told by my dealer that there wasn't an alternator in stock in the US. Please let me know if you find out otherwise, and if you are coerced into paying the shipping.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Sorry, guys, I must have nabbed the last NOS alternator in AoA's inventory. I can't imagine that, but I'm sincerely hoping this AoA nonsense about terminating parts support for the RS6 is either a mistake or miscommunication. Anyone got AoA CEO's name, address and email?

CW

Great. 88K alternator is still ok. I did not know they were going on the cars as until now i hadn't seen many posts about it. As i said on Dave's post in 5 years of owning this car I have had my car in more than probably 99% of owners for something wrong. I have almost every time had a delay for parts coming from Germany for the car. I really do not think they ever had a stock pile of parts other than common A6 parts and more common scheduled service and wear items. So i do not feel that it really bugs me, just means i did the right thing by picking up another car to drive daily and plant the RS6 but for weekends or a fun spin.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

CW,

I called my dealer and talked to the parts guy. 10 alternators in NJ. 6 are taken. 4 left.

He told me backorders everywhere for that pn. but 4 are on the bin in NJ.

Pats dealer must be screwing him over because they are "red label" a part from Germany. They are idiots and cant lookup the part correctly or they are cheating Pat out of extra shipping and rental car fees.

The major concern was AoA's response to Pat when he called them. That is the direction that comes from the top. If that is Audi's attitude then kiss me goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    Sorry, guys, I must have nabbed the last NOS alternator in AoA's inventory. I can't imagine that, but I'm sincerely hoping this AoA nonsense about terminating parts support for the RS6 is either a mistake or miscommunication. Anyone got AoA CEO's name, address and email?

CW

Like Pat said, alternators all across the US are probably "checking out" right now, hence the low stock count. Stealer probably wants to replenish their stock and have you foot the shipping cost. IMHO
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I would pull my car out of that dealer so fast. Parts are sitting on a shelf in NJ ready to ship.

Holy hell would be raised at that dealer. This is just depressing that people can be that stupid or crooked. I dont know which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Like Pat said, alternators all across the US are probably "checking out" right now, hence the low stock count. Stealer probably wants to replenish their stock and have you foot the shipping cost. IMHO

After doing the leg work for my dealer, I have an alternator coming in from New Jersey.....
    Thanks guys.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

What happened to explain the screw up?

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    After doing the leg work for my dealer, I have an alternator coming in from New Jersey.....
    Thanks guys.

FWIW, you can buy a rebuilt Bosch alternator for the RS6 for about $185 from several online parts retailers. I believe that the alternator is the same as the one in an A6 4.2 so you will probably have better luck trying to search that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    What happened to explain the screw up?
    The service advisor sounded like porky the pig trying to blurt out "that's all folks".

Oooh, now THAT's embarrassing for the dealer.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    The service advisor sounded like porky the pig trying to blurt out "that's all folks".
    Good to hear that you will have it back sooner scaring the children in the area..
    210K miles rolled

He actually needs to get that car out of lock up because we are swining thru on our vacation.

I want a ride in the beast with the new Viper tune and I want to see the new skins.

So the stupid dealer in MN needs to deal with Pat and myself. Thats scary

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Good to hear that you will have it back sooner scaring the children in the area..

Sounds like I'll have it back by Friday.

I also found a Reman. for $204.93 after $123 core charge. http://www.bimmerparts.com/ShopByVeh...rnator&mode=PA
    (98% of my parts comes from this guy) So there's still hope for parts availability.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------