Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My story with H&R springs and DRC shocks

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I would agree with everything Elevens has to say about coilovers. After changing out the DRC in my RS6 after 5 years of ownership I wondered what took so long. But

Some DRCs seem to do just fine. My DRC recall was perfect and the car drove great for the last couple of years but finally I just gave in to the coilover hype. Wow is all I have to say.

Now with RS6 #3 I have another low mileage so cal DRC in perfect working order that is now sitting at exact stock height. I plan to leave it until there is a shock failure and replace with the H&R coilover setup just like Elevens.

If you want lower go coilovers. H&R or KWs and ditch the DRC

If you want stock get yer control arms retorqued and shoot for stock ride height.

IMHO

I'm a big fan of H&R and I WILL eventually go the H&R coilover kit for this car. Just not now. Priorities..... ya know? I just want it dropped, picked up the springs for a joke of a price through my wholesale AllSprings account. EC tune, MTM trans upgrade, ACE T/C, are the next suckers on the list. I can purchase all three of those (not incl install) for the same price as the coilovers. We all make our choices. I know the DRC is going to crap itself, could be anyday.

If you inspect the struts regularly, you can see the leaking long before the DRC actually "fails" to the point where you need to purchase coilovers... you have plenty of time to prepare.
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

Quote Originally Posted by Brazil View Post
    Elevens: I think you're forgetting about the elegant solution of the DRC system itself. As an engineer, I appreciate the idea and the execution. A well-functioning DRC will outperform coilovers for street driving. It is compliant while still keeping the car reasonably level during dynamic events. To get the same anti-dive/squat/lean on a coil system, you have to increase the spring rate to the point where the car is no longer comfortable. Now, I have an Esprit that basically sits on the ground and an S4 that keeps chiropractors in business, but the RS6 is a different beast. For this, I think the DRC is a great solution if you can keep it working correctly. Jason spent 1/5th of what good coilovers would cost, so that's another consideration.
    All Valid points Brazil but I am not replacing the DRC because of inferior handling, but because of its almost 100% failure rate and horrible ride height. As for Ride comfort the H&R Coilover's on my car almost as good as the DRC with the exception of being a little more bouncier due to the shortened ride height (Can't have your Cake and eat it too). And yes he did spend less than what a Coilover system cost's, but the results speak for themselves and I am sure he will spend for a System later on anyway. Once again I am only looking out for all the members of our Forum so we can all enjoy Tried and Proven Results and not waste hard earned money......
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Well, the bounce and stiffness and ride height are part of the problems with a street car. None are really acceptable in the true sense. With aftermarket wheels, it might be a different story regarding ride height, and I like my cars low, but my RS6 wheels are perfectly concentric with the wheels arches on stock suspension.

I bounce enough in my Esprit and S4 that I don't need that in the RS. I'm not trying to make the car something it's not, if that makes sense. It's a large sedan with an automatic transmission. There's something to be said for being able to go into a driveway.

Anyway, to your point about saving hard earned money... Jason could replace the DRC something like 8 times before he gets into the cost of KWv3's. How is spending $3k going to save him money? Even if the new install lasts 20k miles, that gives him 160k miles of DRC goodness before he's to the price of coilovers.

Here's my car, stock. The ride height is ok, not optimal, but definitely not that high.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0429.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	13680
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

To each his own, I guess. But I cannot be seen in anything higher than this, its just seems to intimidate everyone and I love it..............................

03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Can anyone fire off the torque values on the rear control arms? I have access to the Bentley DVD, but Ill be damned if i can get it to work...even though Ive licensed it. I think its a windows 10 issue.

Anyhow, I have a hybrid 4X4 deal going on over here and was going to climb underneath tonight and re-torque the system and see if it relaxes the stink bug effect on this one.

Im waiting on a tool to finish up the timing belt job and trying to do some other things in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
    Can anyone fire off the torque values on the rear control arms? I have access to the Bentley DVD, but Ill be damned if i can get it to work...even though Ive licensed it. I think its a windows 10 issue.

Anyhow, I have a hybrid 4X4 deal going on over here and was going to climb underneath tonight and re-torque the system and see if it relaxes the stink bug effect on this one.

Im waiting on a tool to finish up the timing belt job and trying to do some other things in the meantime.
    I've just read this thread start to finish. Curious if you managed to drop the rear ride height by re-torquing the the control arms?