Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My story with H&R springs and DRC shocks

My story with H&R springs and DRC shocks

I decided to lower my car

Did factory recall on shocks.
    Bought set of springs H&Rs Sport setup.

H&R developed their RS6 setup with old shocks, new ones as you know sit higher, tons of claims including two of our cars.

I installed H&R on stock DRC set up. Nice ride but rear looks ugly. Way too high. I could not understand why they had to make it 1.5 drop at a front and 1.0 rear when all prior a6 setups are 1.7/1.5 and 1.9/1.5

So, question was
    1. will the 4.2 set up fit.
    2. to figure the difference in weight between 4.2 a6 and RS6
    3. Should it be Sport or Race setup they have for 4.2

RS6 vs 4.2 door stickers shows same front weight and 60lbs heavier in rear. Possibly because of battery and additional cooler.

So I bought H&R Race setup for A6 4.2 quattro. And got what I wanted. More stable and better looking ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9214..jpg 
Views:	1612 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	10050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9211..jpg 
Views:	1353 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	10051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9212..jpg 
Views:	1947 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	10052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9508..jpg 
Views:	1658 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	10053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9226..jpg 
Views:	1423 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	10054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9227..jpg 
Views:	1892 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	10055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9224..jpg 
Views:	1402 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	10056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9215..jpg 
Views:	1283 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	10057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9216..jpg 
Views:	1299 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	10058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9504..jpg 
Views:	1978 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	10059
    Last edited by Audi-RS6; July 11th, 2010 at 22:13.
    www.WheelsGallery.com

All about wheels and cars.
    Free image gallery, sell or trade your wheels online.

I only have a issue with one statement below.

The DRC recall does NOT made the rear sit higher than before.

Now, as for your results using the HR springs. It looks good. Can you provide the H/R part numbers, take additional pics of your car on a level surface and provide measurements from the center of each wheel to the fender lip on each corner?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Audi-RS6 View Post
    I decided to lower my car

Did factory recall on shocks.
    Bought set of springs H&Rs Sport setup.

H&R developed their RS6 setup with old shocks, new ones as you know sit higher, tons of claims including two of our cars.

I installed H&R on stock DRC set up. Nice ride but rear looks ugly. Way too high. I could not understand why they had to make it 1.5 drop at a front and 1.0 rear when all prior a6 setups are 1.7/1.5 and 1.9/1.5

So, question was
    1. will the 4.2 set up fit.
    2. to figure the difference in weight between 4.2 a6 and RS6
    3. Should it be Sport or Race setup they have for 4.2

RS6 vs 4.2 door stickers shows same front weight and 60lbs heavier in rear. Possibly because of battery and additional cooler.

So I bought H&R Race setup for A6 4.2 quattro. And got what I wanted. More stable and better looking ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9214..jpg 
Views:	1612 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	10050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9211..jpg 
Views:	1353 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	10051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9212..jpg 
Views:	1947 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	10052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9508..jpg 
Views:	1658 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	10053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9226..jpg 
Views:	1423 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	10054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9227..jpg 
Views:	1892 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	10055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9224..jpg 
Views:	1402 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	10056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9215..jpg 
Views:	1283 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	10057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9216..jpg 
Views:	1299 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	10058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9504..jpg 
Views:	1978 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	10059

Audi-RS6 - Great looking setup. The ride height looks good, but my favorite part is the PROGRESSIVE spring idea. I am hoping you can expand on a couple things.

First how would you say the ride is different than stock?

With the progressive spring, is it softer on the light road imprefections but retaining stiffness in the corners and more substantial road bumps? (this is my assumption obviously)

Also, it looks as though you were planning a DIY post with the fingerpointing to the bolts for the top spring cup. I have been very nervous about taking my suspension apart due to the DRC system - it is intimidating me. In order to lower the rear spring and shock assembly, what steps are needed in order to not distrupt the DRC?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Dhall1 - I will measure setup later this week. As far as parts I used 4.2 A6 quattro Race version of springs. H&R 29797-1 part

4everRS:

Ride is better than stock. Better than Street Setup (it was my prior setup). It is lower, look better and car handles more aggressively. I want to add Hotchkis swaysbars and call it a day. Overall it is much cheaper than coilovers, because our cars are heavy and in order to match DRC you'll need smth really nice, like KW3s.

Difference between DRC and normal shock is that there is a hose that wont let you take the shock home. You will have to keep the shock next to the hub. Basically it limits your working space. Other than that is it normal spring job.

Installation:
    Always jackup both sides.
    Top spring cups are held by one nut. Better to use impact gun to remove it. and socket with thin walls. Snap-on and similar wont fit in. I used cheap kits they sell in autozone or kragen.

-Front requires removal of 4 bolts (3 on top and 1 that hold the strut). Upper arms stay in spring cup. And of course you need to remove main long bolt holding 2 arms and steering arm.
    -Back requires drop of LOWER control arm completely (4 bolts total) and 2 nuts on top.
    TIPs: MARK alignment settings, dont forget remove headlight leveler nut on driver side, have spare jack available to lift arms after installation, have craftsman spring compressor (I used it for the front shocks), properly position rubber inserts between cup and spring or you'll experience different ride height, place all washers as they were originally.
    www.WheelsGallery.com

Did you consider the springs specified for the S6 instead of the A6? They lower the front & rear more evenly.
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT
    01 Wrangler, 03 F250 Diesel, 08 F450

Quote Originally Posted by uncfrk View Post
    Did you consider the springs specified for the S6 instead of the A6? They lower the front & rear more evenly.
    Anyone elso have any more info/experiences doing this? I'm on the verge, and don't want to do it twice!

When My DRC died the first time I asked about just installing the normal shocks and springs from the prior year S6! They could not give a clear answer on the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Anyone elso have any more info/experiences doing this? I'm on the verge, and don't want to do it twice!
    Yes, once is plenty for me too. The problem with using springs from another model, it could cause problems. Each model could be engineered for a different purpose. An example, The same rear H&R springs change the ride height differently from the RS6 & the RS6 Avant.
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT
    01 Wrangler, 03 F250 Diesel, 08 F450

The springs & shocks from the S6 would fit the RS6 no problem as the mounting points are the same, as well as the control arms. The only difference would be if the spring rates are what you want. Here in N.A. we only got the S6 Avant so the H&R's here are for the Avante, not the Sedan. You could go with RS6 H&R springs with S6 shocks/struts, but why? If you want a non DRC suspension go with KW V3's or import a set of H&R coilovers.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

S6 setup does not have Race option. and they come in Avant only, so if you'll install them rear will sit higher.
    Street setup for RS6 drives nicely but I dont like the rear look, it sits too high. By the way I have them for sale, if someone interested. I had to cut the rear springs one coil for the look. So only front springs are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by uncfrk View Post
    www.WheelsGallery.com

I replace mine just with H & R recommendation for RS6 straight, and I did in 09' the DRC recall shocks replacement. I my opinion, it looks a bit higher in the back, but by the same token, what if you go out with your love one and another couple of friends, Don't you think the weight is going to affect the height?, besides that, I like it the way it ends up. Let me know your opinion. My e-mails are csiace@wi.rr.com and Rhino315RS6@gmail.com Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post

I had same issue, back looks ugly with H&R recommendations. I thought smth wrong with shock pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino315 View Post
    I replace mine just with H & R recommendation for RS6 straight, and I did in 09' the DRC recall shocks replacement. I my opinion, it looks a bit higher in the back, but by the same token, what if you go out with your love one and another couple of friends, Don't you think the weight is going to affect the height?, besides that, I like it the way it ends up. Let me know your opinion. My e-mails are csiace@wi.rr.com and Rhino315RS6@gmail.com Thanks.
    www.WheelsGallery.com

I accidently bought the avant 29798-1 h&r springs. Will these still work will an aggressive drop like yours? Please help. Thanks.

Please put some Koni's on if you still have DRC....now is the perfect time!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Just ordered H&R 29797-1 to go with my new low mile DRC. Budget setup for sure but should work great. Getting a killer deal on the DRC (thanks Dave!) install and recharge.

Will post some before/after pics.

My current DRC is completely shot, car is unsafe over 80 with any bumps whatsoever.

Post your results. I must do something with #3 because it sits way too high in the rear.

Got the DRC and H&R Race springs installed this weekend, thanks Dave for the low mile DRC, it was super clean upon arrival! Thanks Jake for helping all day Sunday. It would have sucked to do that without a lift, and an extra set of hands (and your shop manual for torque specs) and your confidence to tackle the job.

Car is about 1.5 inches lower than before (measured front after dropping from the lift). I'll post up final measurement results front and rear after I get the car back from the dealer for its DRC recharge. So excited to have a non rattling RS6, one that handles as it was meant to once again!

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    Got the DRC and H&R Race springs installed this weekend, thanks Dave for the low mile DRC, it was super clean upon arrival! Thanks Jake for helping all day Sunday. It would have sucked to do that without a lift, and an extra set of hands (and your shop manual for torque specs) and your confidence to tackle the job.

Car is about 1.5 inches lower than before (measured front after dropping from the lift). I'll post up final measurement results front and rear after I get the car back from the dealer for its DRC recharge. So excited to have a non rattling RS6, one that handles as it was meant to once again!

Damn! I needed schooling on this one!!! Please PM or email or contact next time...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared