Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the performance benefits of a ECU chip, 0-60 times etc (2003)?

Please post here if you have something to add to the original question. Like I said my searching turned up nothing in comparisons. Just "my car feels stronger, it's so much smoother, it rocks, my butt dyno tells me it's a huge gain, etc". The normal stuff you hear when someone adds some performance mods. One person said it doesn't make much of a difference and another person said it drops almost a second off 0-60 times??????? If you have something to give this thread by all means. If anyone has any input or can direct me to threads that do cover this question please post here. I know this subject of chips as been covered a million times, but I found nothing of actual performance gains. I know a TCU chip is HIGHLY recommended, and a ECU chip does make a noticeable difference. I am not asking what chip to get....just what kind of performance gains to expect in real world numbers such as 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. Thank you to the two people that actually answered the question.

On a positive note I have not heard of the viper tuning...I will make sure I look at it in the other thread.

I have Revo ECU chip with the MTM TCU chip and last summer I logged (Vagcom) acceleration runs of 4.6~4.8. It was on a 80'F day. I never did log any pre-chip runs as I had the car Revo'd within a couple of months of getting the car. So I've had Revo software in the car for about 4 years and have been happy. I did take the car back in about two years ago as Revo came out with a software revision for the RS6 but no performance difference.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

With a chip, in my experience you can expect to drop a half second off of your 0-60 time. I personally went from 5.2 seconds stock to 4.7 seconds with the Eurocharged tune. (these were all timed with multiple people in the car, but it does show an improvement regardless of the numbers themselves) As for the tcu, it will never make a night and day difference, but it is a nesessity if you are adding an ecu chip as it raises the specified torque limits and prevents the trans from hunting between 4th and 5th under increased levels of torque. I do have 60-90 times between the eurocharged and stock ecu, but I'll have to do some digging myself to find them.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Sorry Mooch is you are reading this.

Viper Tuned RS6 0-60 3.6 seconds ish, 520bhp and 600 ft/lb ish...
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

Steve...is that in a 2003 C5 RS6? What has been done to the tranny to take that? Do you know if a dyno has been performed for wheel hp? That is great info!

Pat....is this what you are expecting?

Nothing has been done to the tranny, he is on his third!!! Opps....

Max torque on the gearboxes over here is about 550ft/lbs, and they run great :-)

This would be a stage 2 Custom map, stage 1 is about 500bhp and 550:-), increase the BHP and alter the torque curve, so limiting it.

Unless you get a couple of the boys who have done manual conversions and serious mods pushing out 800bhp plus....

I'm no expert just passing on what I've seen and heard
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

[QUOTE=stuntstud2;193246]Please post here if you have something to add to the original question. Like I said my searching turned up nothing in comparisons. Just "my car feels stronger, it's so much smoother, it rocks, my butt dyno tells me it's a huge gain, etc". The normal stuff you hear when someone adds some performance mods. One person said it doesn't make much of a difference and another person said it drops almost a second off 0-60 times??????? If you have something to give this thread by all means. If anyone has any input or can direct me to threads that do cover this question please post here. I know this subject of chips as been covered a million times, but I found nothing of actual performance gains. I know a TCU chip is HIGHLY recommended, and a ECU chip does make a noticeable difference. I am not asking what chip to get....just what kind of performance gains to expect in real world numbers such as 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. Thank you to the two people that actually answered the question.

APR quote here anyway 390 kW at the Crank and over 700Nm of torque....when i got my car the owner showed me a dyno run, when the tune was first done ...CAR pulled 282 kW ATW and the torque curve was ridiculous (almost vertical from 1800 rpm) think E55AMG torque! when i got the car the filters were very blocked and the plugs where on the way out, i clanged those and i would guess it has picked up around 15KW APR AUST told me depending on dyno they typically run 280-300 KW ATW on rolling road dyno's ...hub dyno's who knows 320KW?? the car from APR ran a 1/4 mile here at 12.2 at i think 117mph from memory in just a chip tuned car, i can tell you that when i flick over to std mode, i would not have bought the car if that was all it was, yes its still fast but now it is the in gear torque that is just addictive b/w 2800 prm and 4000 rpm on part throttle openings it just leaps forward and pins your head, passengers just giggle...its like when they ride my Aprilia SXV 550 supermotard, you tell them its quick..but nothing prepares them for that experience, motor mag tested a stock car here back in FEB 2003 from memory( it ran 5.08)(o-100kmph) and 13.1 1/4 mile that feels about right to me...and low 12's feel all day easy with the tune and things i have...still i would always love to feel a custom tuned car. a guy who was banned in oz had one he said it ran 12.01 with unlimited boost open ECU I no idea what he was selling basically?? maybe he was crackers i don't know , but i know i wont explode and i am sure i am almost as fast...but whatever floats your boat i guess , there is always someone with a faster ride hotter women and bigger dick! but i love my RS6 and really that is all that matters (on a side note the price of tuning these cars with APR etc is bullshit..i think it was $4600 here?? took my EVO 6 in for a re-map go in with 162KW ATW came out with 214KW ATW all for $1200 bucks...this German stuff is hexy to pay for!!
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

Helloooooo..........

Now Stephen... I am coming round to stick a bat up your night shirt if I hear any more nonsense about APR.

On my second gearbox Steve, and as long as i am not a twat with it I.E. loads of full throttle 0-60's its fine!

With the Viper map (this for the OP- who seems to have a problem with people going ever so slightly off topic monkey bollocks have hair and dont need to shave with oranges) I have a full 3" cat less milltek, high flow filters and use 99oct fuel and am mapped to that. That gives a dyno proved (if a dyno is proof) of at LEAST 520bhp and 600ftlbs or about 1200 US hp or about 450 WHP. All this gives a 0-60 of approximately 3.7 seconds. BUT... the full catless milltek helps with this as the turbo's spool up MUCH quicker.
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

LOL.... Beer on you then at the beginning of August :-)

I stand corrected, I have really been put in my place now...... ;-)

I don't like to gossip but your machine is just awesome and I'm Jealous.....

Thanks mate.

Its all doon to Grizz and Rich and jst a touch of "mooch mayhem"

Beer will be my pleasure, althoiugh I may be in the soot factory by then.....

Mooch....I appreciate your input in what you have done. Very impressive...ecspecially the torque! It seems in the last year or so major strides have been made in the aftermarket performance of these cars.

I don't have a huge problem with people going slightly off topic. But after all the research I have been doing you notice that a lot of information is hidden away in topics that originated as something completely different. This hinders future users, like myself, when trying to use the search function properly which seems to be where most newbs are sent! When you have an entire page (and it's the first page), except two posts, not pertaining to the original topic that should be considered more than a little off topic.

Thank you everyone for the input. It seems a good quality tune will produce a big difference in performance with verifiable numbers. A whole second off of the quarter is a bid deal. A second off of the 0-60 time is just down right amazing!

No problem matey! just a light hearted "ribbing".

However..... If you go the mapping route, you will need to do the brakes too, 2 tonnes is a lot of metal to stop from 200+mph. This is probably the single most impressive upgrade that I have done. I hav ethe full C6 RS6 front brake setup and it is face hurtingly good.......

A standard RS6 v a decently mapped RS6 is the difference between taking on a Ferrari or 996 and losing and taking them on and making them think their car is broken

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmoocher View Post

However..... If you go the mapping route, you will need to do the brakes too, 2 tonnes is a lot of metal to stop from 200+mph. This is probably the single most impressive upgrade that I have done. I hav ethe full C6 RS6 front brake setup and it is face hurtingly good.......

A standard RS6 v a decently mapped RS6 is the difference between taking on a Ferrari or 996 and losing and taking them on and making them think their car is broken
    I can vouch for the brakes and the acceleration !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmoocher View Post

Mr Mooch...what does your mapping cost , and how does it work..max boost levels etc...dont mean to sound like a knob..i had a look at the viper site , no real info ..got any blurbs on a fact shh=eet you can cut and paste...obviously i have the ARP tune (bash me on the head BAHHHH) but what exactly do viper do that is so different to all the other plug and play tunners...as i am assuming there is no customer dyno work here just send the ECU right?? many thansk johnnie..thanks if you can assist in this pursuit
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

I think a lot of maps done by the "big boys" are just generic, where as Viper (Rich) loads a base map up and the tunes it to your requirements and the cars own charactaristics. My original map was a generic map, but because i had done loads of other bits too, the map eventually became quite unstable. Rich solved this by looking at each map & tweeking it to suit me and my car. For ultra fine tuning the car is dyno'd to check AFR's etc.
    All this is available from Rich, it just involves logging then mapping then logging again and emailing the logs to him to evaluate, he will then email back the updated file and you start again untill everyone is happy!