Thread: Mercedes SLS AMG vs Audi R8 V10

Mercedes SLS AMG vs Audi R8 V10

Mercedes SLS AMG vs Audi R8 V10 The SLS is very impressive.

as expected. seems to pull away a bit faster and farther than the 997.2 also- they all accel in order of their hp and transmission specs. SLS >997.2 > R8 V10.

R8 needs 560 hp or 200 lbs weight loss. or simply a DSG.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Actually, SLS AMG is marginally slower then 997.2 Turbo PDK.

AMS data...

SLS AMG 0-200km/h 11.3s

997.2 Turbo PDK 0-200km/h 11.1s

458 Italia 0-200km/h 10.4s

R8 V10 0-200km/h 12.3s

BTW, SLS AMG Ring time is 7.40min with standard Conti SC5 tires...

i wonder how much faster the R8 GT will be. DSG accounts for -1.0 sec or so.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i wonder how much faster the R8 GT will be. DSG accounts for -1.0 sec or so.
    R8 GT will maybe(and I doubt it) meet its official 0-200km/h time-10.8s when tested by German mags. That means that 458 Italia and 997.2 Turbo S will still be faster.

SLS 0-200km/h time is 11.1s (although i don't know if it is the official time or not), so by this, R8 GT should be at least even, or a bit faster than SLS in my opinion. On the other hand, regular R8 V10 should also be faster than Nissan GTR, but it isn't. Maybe R8s are not the perfect drag cars.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Did you guys see the 550-2 Balboni video? It destroyed the SLS. Anyone else surprised, especially from a roll?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Culi...ayer_embedded#!

If that is legit, then the R8 GT should destroy the SLS too.

Yes, I'm also surprised about it. Never thought that the Balboni can do that. But by the way, there was something more interesting! Have you seen that a MTM RS6 also beat the SLS??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXVfu...eature=channel

Toto89- Road and Track data panel- the best in the business- has the R8 significantly faster than the GTR. first GTR tested was behind by almost 7 mph in the quarter mile acceleration and the difference got bigger into the triple digit speeds. more recently they tested a revised 2010/11 model GTR and the R8 was still faster, though by less. accel is mainly a weight and hp issue. despite the DSG. GTR is a bit faster on some tracks, but in terms of accel it is not. CAR also got similar results. the R8 was tested ia few months ago in the wet vs the GTR in the dry and the R8 times were within 95-98% of the GTR's!!!

wedouglas- The 550-2 is rwd- the R8 GT has quattro so with a good launch the balboni could still be faster. it does weigh less.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Probably You're right, it was just this video that came to my mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNiqsjWU9Nw

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    Probably You're right, it was just this video that came to my mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNiqsjWU9Nw
    i know. that was one race one time. R&T repeats testing various times for each vehicle, and specs them in their most aggressive format. they also correct for test conditons. they do use the typical us car mag roll-out method so all times are faster than euro mags' times. videos like that are the most common source of blanket conclusion making in the world. they are also the reason people come to erroneous general conclusions about a lot of things (a politician's popularity or an actor's insanity).
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    R8 GT will maybe(and I doubt it) meet its official 0-200km/h time-10.8s when tested by German mags. That means that 458 Italia and 997.2 Turbo S will still be faster.
    I unfortunately agree. The R8 should have been at most 3200lbs in GT form. However, all 4 of these cars are very capable and I am sure that their performance figures will put them very close to each other in different comparisons.

PS. I have been away from this board for quite a while heh. Sorry

i agree with kreso. the GT will be a tick slower in accel than the TT-s perhaps, but dead on with the SLS imo. while costing about the same as both.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10