Thread: Wheels/Tires

Wheels/Tires

Saw this thread over at Quattroworld:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs6/msgs/1415.phtml

Does anyone know what this "very particular version" is?

Am searching for rubber to run on 19x8.5" ET25 rims. 255/35/19 sounds good.

DHall suggested Contis, many here run PS2s, two I know personally run Potenzas on their M5s. I live in SoCal so not overly concerned about wet/snow traction.

Thanks.

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Anyone know anything about the Hankook Ventus v12 ?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....10XL&tab=Sizes

Reviews look good. Anyone hear anything about them?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Anyone know anything about the Hankook Ventus v12 ?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....10XL&tab=Sizes

Reviews look good. Anyone hear anything about them?

Yea I am running 275-30-19's on all corners. A little harsh (probably due to the 30 series profile) but excellent road feel. Just got them a few weeks ago, and I don't track the car so I can't tell you anything about the grip or tread wear. They have a very aggressive tread pattern and a nice wide stance. So far I love them. How they perform in the wet I don't know yet, but the reviews indicate they are pretty good. Hope this helps a bit.

Just found this on search.com:

For 18" wheels, the standard tire fitted was 255/40-18 with extra load (XL) rating. This is often stressed and the only recommendation by Audi as RS6 does weigh a hefty (approx.) 4100lb. Tires that are not rated XL may not be safe for use. Owners reported finding Continental ContiSportContact 2, Dunlop SP Sport 9000, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, and Pirelli P-Zero Rosso as OEM suppliers for the tires.

For 19" wheels, the standard tire fitted was 255/30-19 with extra load (XL) rating. However, there were debates as to how safe are 19" tires as XL rating will only get to 96 (1565 lb load rating). (In contrast, the 255/40-18 XL will get you 99, good for 1709 lb per tire.) Also, 19" wheel & tire package may rub against the strut if not properly fitted. At least from one U.S. owner reports Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, part number 14875, will fit as the tire does not come with rim protector "lip" on the inner side of the tire.
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    Yea I am running 275-30-19's on all corners. A little harsh (probably due to the 30 series profile) but excellent road feel. Just got them a few weeks ago, and I don't track the car so I can't tell you anything about the grip or tread wear. They have a very aggressive tread pattern and a nice wide stance. So far I love them. How they perform in the wet I don't know yet, but the reviews indicate they are pretty good. Hope this helps a bit.

Those look great -- I can't wait to get back to try out my new wheels and tires. That is if V8weight doesn't burn the tread off of them first.

Pat,

What do you mean a bit of wobble at 160?

See you Saturday AM -- Bright and Early!
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

I have the v12's on my s4, and had the precursors to them before that. Amazing grip, wet and dry. I am looking at getting them for the beast when I get her back on the 10th.
    Last edited by JSRS6; May 27th, 2010 at 13:02. Reason: iPhone auto correct
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I think for the width of 255 and the wheels size of 19" the corrent aspect ratio would be 35 instead of 30.

For 275's in the same wheel size a 30 ratio is closer to the size needed for the proper total diameter. It is a couple mm's shorter but the difference would be un-noticable.

A 96 load should be enough. That's over 6200 lbs. total weight. Much less than this and there may be instability issues I would guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Born2be View Post
    For 19" wheels, the standard tire fitted was 255/30-19 with extra load (XL) rating. However, there were debates as to how safe are 19" tires as XL rating will only get to 96 (1565 lb load rating). (In contrast, the 255/40-18 XL will get you 99, good for 1709 lb per tire.) Also, 19" wheel & tire package may rub against the strut if not properly fitted. At least from one U.S. owner reports Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, part number 14875, will fit as the tire does not come with rim protector "lip" on the inner side of the tire.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I have the Hankook V12s....great tires (for the money). The car had new ones on when I bought it last year. I recommend them.

When these wear out tho I'll go Michelin. Yes, they are expensive (perhaps overpriced,even wholesale) but in my experience they are the best tires.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Born2be View Post
    Just found this on search.com:

For 18" wheels, the standard tire fitted was 255/40-18 with extra load (XL) rating. This is often stressed and the only recommendation by Audi as RS6 does weigh a hefty (approx.) 4100lb. Tires that are not rated XL may not be safe for use. Owners reported finding Continental ContiSportContact 2, Dunlop SP Sport 9000, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, and Pirelli P-Zero Rosso as OEM suppliers for the tires.

You are correct on the 19's, that's me and I'm on my third set of those PS2s. It was also me on Quattroworld as i have a different sig name there. You obviously found my older posts here. I get them through Discount Tire and order them in person to make sure they look up and find the right one in the Michelin catalog. If you order on-line you will get the wrong one. Even when they come one of them always seems to be the wrong one so they need to be checked. If a wrong one shows up they can mount it on the rear with no problem temporarily till the correct one comes in. This is on the OEM 19" wheels I have. Aftermarket wheels with a different offset may not rub but that I am not sure about. Fantastic tires though that i have used on the track both wet and dry and are excellent in all road conditions.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

Got mine about 1500 miles ago, replacing the worn stock Michelins, on the stock rims. They do create a highway-speed "hum," but there's a TON of grip. I think the Michelins are quieter on long high-speed jaunts, but to me they're not worth the price difference. The Hankooks are a sweet deal.
    "What do you think is the meaning of true happiness, Hobbes? Is it money, cars, and women?

Or is it just money and cars?"

I have had the Hankooks for 8k miles and I have no complaints about them. From long 1K mile trips to high speed on ramp loops they do there job.

I have the Goodyear Asymmetric on my beast great tire for the money.