Thread: New MB AMG 5.5L V8TT - 563hp, 664lb-ft in top form

New MB AMG 5.5L V8TT - 563hp, 664lb-ft in top form

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...orsepower.html

AMG's new go-to engine is a 5.5 liter twin-turbo V8. As expected, it's a torque monster. It'll come in two forms - 536hp and 590lb-ft, or 563hp and 664lb-ft. Audi's V10TT still wins the horsepower battle at 580, but 479lb-ft? With 2 extra cylinders?! They may not be "horsepower wars" anymore, but I think the engine wars are far from over

(p.s. - MB will continue calling it a "63" because their marketers don't like the idea of decreasing the number on an improved engine. Marketing dweebs...)

meanwhile- audi has a teeny 4.0T that is 2 years late. unless it is some kind of unexpected gem (doubtful) with a turbo AND supercharger it may reach 550 hp but nowhere near 660 of torque.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

The numbers look good on paper, but putting them down to the pavement is a different story. There has always been a very small difference in actual acceleration between the 600 and 60 AMG versions.

Only at 0-100. After 100 the difference is huge.

It looks very compact. Very interesting engine. But I'd rather have something like 5.5L V8TT than E63 on my badge.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

It's a monster....

RXBG, you are exactly right about the 4.0-litre engine being 2 years late. What on earth are they doing? However, I think it will worth the wait, because Audi cannot afford for it not to be brilliant. I fully expect it to be a classic engine offering the best balance of power and economy of any V8.

Maybe somebody with a better understanding could enlighten me, why didn't they trade some of the displacement and torque for a little downsizing ? It would be interesting to find out the max torque handled by the new MCT dual clutch gearbox. Audi actually pioneered this madness, one ECU tune away from a 700 bhp saloon/estate . F10 M5/ new CLS 63AMG will clearly be capable of similar numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    RXBG, you are exactly right about the 4.0-litre engine being 2 years late. What on earth are they doing? However, I think it will worth the wait, because Audi cannot afford for it not to be brilliant. I fully expect it to be a classic engine offering the best balance of power and economy of any V8.
    As much as I love the evolution of this brand (Audi) they don't have quite the stellar record of delivering new engines that i hoped, the 3.0TFSI wasn't the fastest to market and AFAIK it's thirstier then planned. Maybe managing our expectations would go a long way in avoiding a disappointment at launch.

I was very sad when I learned that MB was dropping the 6.2 (which they insist on calling a 6.3, even though it's not even close at 6208 cc), especially after I drove a C63 a few weeks ago (loved it!). But then I heard about the replacement mentioned above, and all is good.

I'm hoping that when this new motor starts hitting the showrooms, it will knock down the prices on the current AMG 63s. Would love to pick up a used C63 (or maybe even an E63) in about 2 years

Talking about great engines, I think that futures F10 M5 4.4 V8 bi-turbo will be ''best of the best''... Some 570 hp with all other BMWs gizmos...

There's no doubt the M5's new 4.4L, 570hp V8 twin-turbo will be great, but despite all the press it has been getting recently, it's simply not a ground-breaking engine. Yes, it's smaller, and kudos for that, but Audi and MB already have engines in that class producing that kind of power. It'll roughly match the Audi and BMW for horsepower, and beat the Audi for torque but lose out to the MB. I think the M5 name is getting this engine more attention than it perhaps deserves...

Then again, every 570hp engine deserves attention, doesn't it? This is rarified air!