Thread: Engine pull: maintenance items?

Mech Engine pull: maintenance items?

I have a bad right side EGT sensor, engine is being pulled to R&R.

I know it's been covered before here and there, but asking the collective brain: as long as the motor is out, what other sensors, etc, would be a good idea to replace?

Car just had 35k service done, T-belt and pulleys are new. So... primary O2 sensor? The other EGT sensor? Headlight fluid? Muffler bearings? Auxiliary Whoop-Ass Reservoir re-charge?

No, but in all seriousness, help me out here.

I'd do both primary O2s, the other EGT, and the RH valve cover gasket (passenger side) while you're in there. Nothing would be worse than having to pull the engine again soon for an O2 failure, or a leaky gasket. The other EGT can be changed with the engine in-situ, but why would you wait?
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

Thanks Brazil. Anyone else? 26 views and quiet as a church in here.

Do you already have the Venair hose kit? You might consider doing those if you haven't. I agree about Brazil's and your other comments.

Have them check the intercoolers for leaks as well.
    210K miles rolled

I agree with Brazil 100%. Especially on the bank one valve cover gasket. If you have an RS6, chances are your valve cover gaskets are leaking anyways (unless you're Dave and you have that biblical RS6 built on the day when the G man himself came down to build the perfect RS6 that isn't prone to the usual failures ) As he said, the right gasket requires an engine pull, the left is only a 2 hour job. I would also recommend at least a visual inspection of the o-ring connections of the rear engine coolant pipe, and an inspection of the after run coolant pump as well. With your mileage, neither should be an issue though. The Venair hoses can be installed anytime, but I guess it would save on labor. I actually remove all my hoses and clean them during every oil change, so I can attest to the ease of access to all of them.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Check/replace those tiny/crap vac hoses.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

V8weight,

Which hoses do you remove and clean with each oil change?

Mike

Reading "Engine Pull" gives me chest pain.

I did my plugs two weeks ago, and removing the air cleaner housing was a pain! Pulling the engine means putting all the wires back correctly! YIKES!

Take pictures!

Change Thermostat (its behind the timing belt!), temperature sensor on back of engine, yes all FOUR oxygen sensors (two can be reached without engine pull, but what the hell it's Audi's 12 month/12,000 coverage), water pump?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    V8weight,

Which hoses do you remove and clean with each oil change?

Mike
    I remove the 6 rubber intercooler/charge pipe hoses and clean them with lacquer thinner inside and out at each oil change. It's just extra insurance that I never blow a boost hose on the road, and I like to monitor the amount of oil residue inside them between services.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Thanks, men. Appreciate your posts.

Have to say I'm a little disappointed I heard nothing but crickets from the duck-foot-rat. Not even a smoking monkey jpeg.

^ I believe the smokin monkey has been busy chasing a little ball with a club trying to beat the upcoming heat in his neck of the woods..
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    ^ I believe the smokin monkey has been busy chasing a little ball with a club trying to beat the upcoming heat in his neck of the woods..
    or stomping about the house having to fork over $$,$$$.$$ to the Idjuts r'tards Stupids (I.R.S.)...

On Topic:
    Lacquer thinner for the hoses?!?!?
    What about those pesky hoses under the intake that P3U was replacing this week?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Woot-diddly-oot

Just got confirmation that the engine pull and all labor is 100% covered under Fidelity Platinum warranty. Of course, whatever incremental parts I proactively replace are on my dime. But I distinctly heard a bullet whistle past my head as I believe I just dodged it.

Thank you Fidelity and thank you dhall for honking his "get a warranty" horn back in the day.

Guys,

I keep tellin ya its the MopnGlow.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    I agree with Brazil 100%. Especially on the bank one valve cover gasket. If you have an RS6, chances are your valve cover gaskets are leaking anyways (unless you're Dave and you have that biblical RS6 built on the day when the G man himself came down to build the perfect RS6 that isn't prone to the usual failures ) As he said, the right gasket requires an engine pull, the left is only a 2 hour job. I would also recommend at least a visual inspection of the o-ring connections of the rear engine coolant pipe, and an inspection of the after run coolant pump as well. With your mileage, neither should be an issue though. The Venair hoses can be installed anytime, but I guess it would save on labor. I actually remove all my hoses and clean them during every oil change, so I can attest to the ease of access to all of them.

I honk

That is what I do

Some listen some dont

I cant help those that dont

You got it Max. Been crazy and it will be hot here soon.

Oh, before I forget. We seem to be getting a ton of new threads that have little interest to me. So I have been skipping a few threads.

Lastly, on the topic. I bet 2 dollars that the RH valve cover gasket is seeping already. Have the dealer inspect it. Fidelity will cover it if its seeping. Ditto on the intercoolers. If there is oil residue in the lower seam of the core then its shot. Fidelity will cover those as well. As for what to replace on your dime. Ok, both primary O2 sensors and leave it at that. You have the Fidelity policy, a low mileage car and years of coverage. The engine/trans will come out again when the trans takes a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Just got confirmation that the engine pull and all labor is 100% covered under Fidelity Platinum warranty. Of course, whatever incremental parts I proactively replace are on my dime. But I distinctly heard a bullet whistle past my head as I believe I just dodged it.

Thank you Fidelity and thank you dhall for honking his "get a warranty" horn back in the day.

Last edited by DHall1; April 21st, 2010 at 14:45.