Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM Battery Alternatives?

Question OEM Battery Alternatives?

Hello Gents,

Just returned yesterday from a 14-month deployment in beautiful Baghdad, Iraq to a lonely RS6 with a dead battery. Regretfully, I didn't have the opportunity to disconnect it before I left and needless to say, it didn't survive.
    That said, I'm spending my Easter Sunday tracking down a replacement, but previous posts have indicated that this endeavour may be more involved than a trip to my local Pep Boys.

My search shows the OEM battery to be: 000-915-105-AK-DSP. Short of my dealer, anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on one without having to first grab my ankles?

Also, is there a superior battery out there for daily use that is easier to obtain?

Many thanks, and Happy Easter to you...

Ross
    2003 Audi RS6- Pearl Black Effect
    Eurocharged ECU/MTM TCU, Hyperboost DV, RSN-E/BT/XM, K&N, EBC-RED

I know when I have to replace my battery I'll be going with one of these.
    http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1788
    I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think it saves about 30lbs over stock.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

HOLIDAY!!!

Welcome back to the states and shakey California!!!
    I seem to remember that SOMEONE graciously offered to take delicate care of said RS6....

I remember also that there is/was a thread about a lightweight replacement to the battery and also another thread about a spare tire wheel well battery replacement...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

As mentioned before this has been brought up a few times before, and I am one of those using the Odyssey PC925T battery which saves almost 40# over stock. If your car sits over a week or two at a time you will definitely need to use a "Battery Tender" with the Odyssey as it doesn't have the deep cycle of the much bigger stock battery. To me the weight reduction is worth it as an overall weight savings plan.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks for the "shakey" welcome Ben! I'll admit that's the last thing I expected to come back to- an earthquake! I know you don't owe me any sympathy on the battery issue after you offered to help out, but I do appreciate the info! We need to link up now that your an "owner"; I'll give you a ring within the next few days.

Hahn/V8- thanks for the guidance on alternatives. After taking out the battery today and looking at the specs, I'm convinced that an OEM unit is the safer/more reliable option based on the car's electrical draw. Weight savings would be great to have, but for me, reliability and low maintenance are priorities above the 40lb's of static weight lost.
    REALLY appreciate the ideas though...

Anyone know where I could get my hands on a factory battery today? (besides the dealer)

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    HOLIDAY!!!

Welcome back to the states and shakey California!!!
    I seem to remember that SOMEONE graciously offered to take delicate care of said RS6....

I remember also that there is/was a thread about a lightweight replacement to the battery and also another thread about a spare tire wheel well battery replacement...

I am not sure of the difference but my service history shows PN 000-915-105-DL-DSP.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

I always applaud attempts at weight reduction, but in the case of the massively powerful RS6, I almost think it's better having that heavy OEM battery in the back to keep that 59.6%/40.4% forward bias from getting any more extreme.
    "What do you think is the meaning of true happiness, Hobbes? Is it money, cars, and women?

Or is it just money and cars?"

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRSX View Post
    I always applaud attempts at weight reduction, but in the case of the massively powerful RS6, I almost think it's better having that heavy OEM battery in the back to keep that 59.6%/40.4% forward bias from getting any more extreme.
    True, but any reduction, even if it does produce a worse "statistical" weight distribution is still a positive when it comes to performance (albeit only 1% of the car's total weight).

I third the Odyssey.

Best,

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRSX View Post
    To those of us running coilover suspension, the effects of a 40# weight reduction could easily be be compensated for by adjusting a bit more bias to the rear though. I just had a corner balance done a few weeks ago and the numbers came out at:
    Front: 2661# 59.25%
    Rear: 1830# 40.75%
    Going with those numbers, a 40# reduction of weight in the rear would yield:
    Front: 2661# 59.77%
    Rear: 1791# 40.23%
    I'm not sure the half of a percent in weight distribution would make a difference in cornering.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

^^^ Exactly ^^^, hence my use of the word "statistical".
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

I have been running this 11lb Deka battery for over a year now as part of my light weight mods on my 996tt. Saved 38lbs over stock. I do keep it on a Porsche cigarette lighter charger and it has NEVER left me stranded. I have lost over 250 lbs on this car.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW Battery..jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	9628

Thanks for all of the info. I ended up going with the OEM replacement. I don't track, race, or even drive the RS6 aggressively (see signature for 3 reasons why) and as my daily driver, reliability is the primary concern. Wasn't cheap though- that's for sure. $205 for the OEM battery from Hoehn Audi in Carlsbad (CA) plus $150 of labor (1.5) for install. The service manager claimed that in addition to all of the regular power reset items (clock, RSN-E, etc), the car's ECU would need to be reset after the brief power disconnect required to swap old/new batteries.
    I started to throw a BS flag down on the play, but complacency overwhelmed me after not having a car for two days... Anyone know anything about this? Or did I just get punk'ed for $150?

My battery was dis-connected for 2 months this Winter. After re-connecting & setting the clock, everything works fine.
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT
    01 Wrangler, 03 F250 Diesel, 08 F450

I've disconnected mine a few times before I got the Battery Tender and as mentioned, the clock is the only thing that needs to be reset. I've heard that the one touch up & down on the windows can go but that is an easy reset too. The ECU will forget some things after a long disconnect but it re-learns after drivning, and sometimes that is a good thing as far as which maps to use for your driving style.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I've disconnected mine a few times before I got the Battery Tender and as mentioned, the clock is the only thing that needs to be reset. I've heard that the one touch up & down on the windows can go but that is an easy reset too. The ECU will forget some things after a long disconnect but it re-learns after drivning, and sometimes that is a good thing as far as which maps to use for your driving style.
    Got punk'ed...got it- thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    Got punk'ed...got it- thanks.
    I would be pissed off at that crap!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

my car won't start today, and have to jump start it...anyway, before i go to the dealership- i've looked at the odyssey website but the part # pc1700MJT. so what's the difference between the PC925MJT ? replies will be appreciated.

thanks!

Year2003
    MakeAudi
    ModelRS6
    Engine4.2 Liters 4172 CC V8
    BCI Group Size49
    ODYSSEY MODELPC1700MJT
    Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA)1700
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)875
    20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah)68
    Reserve Capacity Minutes142
    Dimensions
    L x W X H - Inches
    13.02 x 6.62 x 6.93
    Metric Dimensions
    L x W X H - mm
    330.7 x 168.2 x 176.0
    Weight (lbs)60.90
    Weight (kg)27.60

It would appear to be just a difference in hot cranking amps. The pc1700 must be a new battery, don't remember ever coming across that number while searching for odyssey batteries in the past couple of years. I would say buy that one if that's what they recommend. It looks like it would fit the tray a lot better than the pc925.