Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sportec lower air vent mod

Sportec lower air vent mod

I saw that the Sportec RS600 as well as the intercooler kit come with these lower engine shield vents. I figured I could replicate them for a lot less money, like $8.00. All it took was some 1"x1" angle aluminum, and some 3/16" rivets. First layout a pattern (I used 3/4" masking tape).

Next cut out the openings (I used a pneumatic mini sawzall, but a keyhole saw would work), and then clean up your cuts with a file.

Then cut the aluminum angle stock to fit the openings, mark your holes, drill, then rivet them in place.

I also wanted to redo those rubber brake cooling dams that were scraped off of my lower shield, so sacrificed an Impala front air dam that I found at work. It's a heavy plastic rather than the rubber that they were originally made of.

And done.

Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

AWESOME!!!!

Is that gonna help with cooling?
    Any interference with the serp belt?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    AWESOME!!!!

Is that gonna help with cooling?
    Any interference with the serp belt?
    It should help with cooling by creating a pull behind the radiator draw more air through the coolers, as well as blowing cool air that hasn't already passed through the radiator over the entire engine and over the turbo's before it exits the rear of the engine compartment. The angle of the picture lies, the vent doesn't actually come near the serp belt at all. For reference, here's a pic of these vents on the original Sportec RS600 promotional car.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

very neat Pat. Now, getting to be time to take off those winter tires soon.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I see who had fun today.

Dammit I was planting Pygmy Palm trees around the pool and shoveling the rock borders from my 6 ton delivery this week. 15tons coming next week to level and redress the RV parking area.

No more fun in AZ.

I gotta pull my bumper to fix that sensor and that will be the time to cut my lower panel.

Dave, do you need a plug to fill the remaining hole from the sensor relocation relocation? I have some spares, I keep meaning to mail one out. You may as well clear your side markers, add some vents....make a day of it.

so the front set is angled down and out of the engine compartment and the rear set is angled in and up into the engine compartment... it is difficult to determine but it is more of a confirmation.

also, It looks like 10 fasteners to take that tray out/down?
    I remember a thread when I was first lurking about a c/f tray for $7k and it was to assist in cooling (fellow was located in Saudi or UAE)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I have the same mod on my RS6.
    And you can feel the heat going out when the electric fans are on !!!!

Frederic

Very interesting, should help with the cooling. Keep us posted!

Nice job. The Pumas even made and appearance.

Do these cars have problems with excessive engine room heat? Haven't driven in hot weather yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    so the front set is angled down and out of the engine compartment and the rear set is angled in and up into the engine compartment... it is difficult to determine but it is more of a confirmation.

also, It looks like 10 fasteners to take that tray out/down?
    I remember a thread when I was first lurking about a c/f tray for $7k and it was to assist in cooling (fellow was located in Saudi or UAE)
    Correct, the front diffuser angles down, the rear angles up. There are actually 14 fasteners retaining the lower engine shield, there are 2 more in each wheel well holding the shield to the wheel liners. All you need is a stubby flat head screwdriver to remove the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post

Do these cars have problems with excessive engine room heat? Haven't driven in hot weather yet.
    These things produce massive amounts of heat. For reference, on my way down to Arizona I was flying through the mountains of western New Mexico (the ambient temperature was about 40f) and you could actually feel the heat coming out of the center console after prolonged driving. So much so that it was actually fooling the climate control temp sensor and the air conditioning kept kicking on. Any way you can move more heat out of this engine bay is definitely an attribute.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    It should help with cooling by creating a pull behind the radiator draw more air through the coolers, as well as blowing cool air that hasn't already passed through the radiator over the entire engine and over the turbo's before it exits the rear of the engine compartment. The angle of the picture lies, the vent doesn't actually come near the serp belt at all. For reference, here's a pic of these vents on the original Sportec RS600 promotional car.
    Damn, that is one very clean under-carriage! Is this car ever driven?!
    C5 RS6 Avant | Ebony Black | Black Leather | Carbon In-lays | Solar Roof | OEM Graphite 19" | Vredesteins 255/35/19 | Privacy | Milltek Non-Res | Black Optics | Stage 1+ | Plus Brakes | Alpine Multi-Media Interface | Navigation | Bluetooth | DVD | iPod Video | 710N

That looks really slick Pat. Now I want to do that too maybe after the upgraded brake fluid and looking into the ICs. I'm bit tired after traveling 30 hours though. I Should be back next weekend and perhaps we can meet some time during the week before I have to leave again. Now back to South Park in Germany it's like almost 11 PM here......
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JRS-RS6 View Post
    That looks really slick Pat. Now I want to do that too maybe after the upgraded brake fluid and looking into the ICs. I'm bit tired after traveling 30 hours though. I Should be back next weekend and perhaps we can meet some time during the week before I have to leave again. Now back to South Park in Germany it's like almost 11 PM here......
    James, if you want to do this to your car let me know. I bought 2 extra pieces of angle stock in a different size that I need to return. If you want to add these vents I'll just exchange them for the correct size. I saw the links for where you're staying, wow. If I had to travel for work that would be the scenery I would want to see from my hotel window. Hell, I doubt I'll ever see that on a planned vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Golffather View Post
    Damn, that is one very clean under-carriage! Is this car ever driven?!
    Yeah, that was a Sportec press car, so essentially a brand new car with the RS600 conversion. Makes me sick. You saw the bottom of my car, it looks like it's been driven through a cactus patch compared to that.

I am interested in doing this when I get back also I have lots of pics from other trips I can show you at some point but I do not have them all with me right now.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Mr Puma is the man.

And yes, the underhood temps go out of this world in the summer. This vent is a must do on any list. It just so happens summer is on the way for me and I have to take my bumper off anyways to move the temp sensor and touch up some under side scrapes. Doc Winer must have had a favorite spot at school that just scraped the lower tray. Dammit.

Pygmy palms are in and most of the rock is laid down. Arrrrrgh, 75/sunny and I was out there playing Mr Landscaper today.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Pygmy palms are in and most of the rock is laid down. Arrrrrgh, 75/sunny and I was out there playing Mr Landscaper today.
    Am I mistaken, or can't you just pick up a whole crew down there standing outside a home depot for like $50 a day?