Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sportec lower air vent mod

Very nice job Pat ! I too would think that a grate or screen might be helpful. With that said, it is great you share your handiwork and ideas with all of us- and I thought you were just a pretty face..;0
    210K miles rolled

You wanted screens, you got your screens. It said on the package it should repel not only stray rocks and road debris, but also chickens and rabbits. JRS-RS6 came over yesterday and we did his vent mod as well as stainless steel brake lines, and Motul RBF 660 brake fluid on both of our cars, and a trans fluid change on my car.

Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

It looks great
    St Augustine, FL
    03 RS6
    07 GTI
    88 16v Cabby

Very very nice Pat! That should keep the vermin out..
    210K miles rolled

Oil temp running about 20 to 30 degrees lower on the ride home this afternoon. Thanks Pat. James
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JRS-RS6 View Post
    Oil temp running about 20 to 30 degrees lower on the ride home this afternoon. Thanks Pat. James
    It's hard to believe what a difference it makes isn't it? Glad it worked out, another satisfied customer of the "Pat cave".
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

sounds like some of the SD connection needs a place to do some wicked mods like this....
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

That is a big difference. Amazing really.

Ok, ok.....I gotta get out in the garage and get this done.

Ok Pat and James, now that you've had this done for a little while, is there any noticable increase of wind noise on the highway? Are the temps still showing 20 degrees cooler?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Ok Pat and James, now that you've had this done for a little while, is there any noticable increase of wind noise on the highway? Are the temps still showing 20 degrees cooler?
    Oil temps are still running 15-20 degrees lower (at least in my case, I can't speak for James). There isn't any additional wind noise, as this is an exit for air, not an entrance. When the car's parked and the fans are running, it's absolutely amazing how much hot air is rushing out through the vent.

Pat summed it up. Temp still down about 20 degrees, no additional wind noise. Tons of hot air comes out when the car is sitting still and the fans are running.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

STOP ALREADY!!!!!

I got to get out in the garage and start cutting.

Oh crap, we're going out with the motorhome this weekend. Oh crap, the grass is starting to grow like crazy. Oh crap, my honey do list is running out the door.

Pat summed it up. Temp still down about 20 degrees, no additional wind noise. Tons of hot air comes out when the car is sitting still and the fans are running.

Alright, I got out my crayons and drew a diagram of the measurements for the holes if you're looking to do this yourself. The nice thing is that there is a line molded into the shield that you can use as your rear datum line. The rest is just measurements off of that line.

Great job with the crayola, Pat! Yet another skill
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I couldn't find my crayons, but went all out with the felt tip marker. It looked really good on paper, but apparently the scanner is really unforgiving. It gets the point across anyhow.

Is the mesh you guys used steel or aluminum? I have seen a lot of steel mesh at the hardware store, but can't remember if aluminum is common.

Awesome rendering Pat.

Really, everyone should do this easy and inexpensive mod.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Is the mesh you guys used steel or aluminum? I have seen a lot of steel mesh at the hardware store, but can't remember if aluminum is common.
    I'm not running any mesh in mine, still wide open. James' car has galvanized steel mesh. I couldn't find aluminum mesh anywhere.

OK just realized this. How is the mesh secured on the front where the alum angle is protruding trough the bottom. Do you have a 1" strip 'sandwiching' it in place?