Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding Ticket WTF

Beware Speeding Ticket WTF

Ok, the beast had its first run-in with Johnny Law tonight. Got pinched by a local cop, he gave me a ticket, he did drop it down a notch to the lowest infraction category... he cut me a deal. At least he was a nice guy, knew what the car was, complimented it and had lots of questions about it. Strange chatting with officer friendly who's writing you a ticket, I guess he was just doing his job, I was dead to rights guilty. And I was actually kind of relieved, it could have been much worse if somebody clocked me 10 minutes earlier!

Anyway, I'm posting because I have a question: I had the Valentine One on, it has saved me before for sure. This time, it never made a peep. When he pulled me over and asked me if I knew how fast I was going, I said no (though I did know, but I've had better luck feigning ignorance in the past.) He quoted me exactly the speed I was going, and later explained that he had clocked me with radar... Again, the Valentine never chirped.

Lately, I've noticed some local cops hanging out in their favorite speed traps, no visible lidar gun or anything, yet the Valentine has not given any alert. Usually these guys just sit there with radar on, causing the Valentine to go nuts. Struck me as odd, strikes me as really odd now that I got pinched. Reasonably certain the Valentine is functioning correctly.

So I'm wondering, is there some new variation of radar that the Valentine can't detect? Anyone?
    Last edited by skribe; March 10th, 2010 at 06:06.

Watch out they are gunning for you. I just had this conversation with a friend about the cut throat nature of public service and the big squeeze that is on right now. He is worse that I am. Still drives a 600hp Cobra conversion and he is 75yrs old. Raced his bike well into his 50s and still drives it like a crazy man.

These folks are doing whatever it takes to save their butts so watch out. Parking tickets in Phoenix are nearly 60 bucks. Mobile ticket cameras are around every corner and cops behind every bridge.

but do ya think the state of AZ could leave the rest areas open? Naaaaa, they closed them all. No pisser for me. State parks....closed them too. People just need to stay home and kick the dog.

Could it be this?

http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2007/05/...pop-radar.html

In fact there is one form of POP that operates four times quicker than regular POP RADAR -- at a blistering 16ms. The only detector that has been able to sniff this form out is again the V1, but it generally has about a one in ten chance of doing so. I was concerned initially about it, but no longer. As Steve has correctly stated in one of the comments below, you probably have about the same chance as getting hit by a bolt of lightning as being tagged with POP in either form (16ms or 67ms)!

*Reprinted with permission from the Guys of Lidar.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    ...Strange chatting with officer friendly who's writing you a ticket, I guess he was just doing his job, I was dead to rights guilty. And I was actually kind of relieved, it could have been much worse if somebody clocked me 10 minutes earlier! [/B]
    A couple weeks ago I was stopped at a red light after blistering down a curvy stretch of road with my "eyes only" radar system. Mr. Officer pulls up next to me motioning for me to roll down the window. I'm thinking "uh uh". I get the window down and he asks "How much horsepower does it have in it??". I tell him it is 500+ and says he likes the way it looks and sounds. After some further chatter, the light changes and I meander off with brake pad aroma in the air- 6+ years with the RS6 clean driving record and wallet untouched..Phew

I know my time is coming to pay the piper due to my propensity to think the speed laws are not for me and I was put on this planet to burn carbons-I just keep hoping it won't be today!
    Last edited by MaxRS6; March 10th, 2010 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2007/05/...pop-radar.html

In fact there is one form of POP that operates four times quicker than regular POP RADAR -- at a blistering 16ms. The only detector that has been able to sniff this form out is again the V1, but it generally has about a one in ten chance of doing so. I was concerned initially about it, but no longer. As Steve has correctly stated in one of the comments below, you probably have about the same chance as getting hit by a bolt of lightning as being tagged with POP in either form (16ms or 67ms)!

*Reprinted with permission from the Guys of Lidar.
    I don't know... I feel like something's up. Like I said these local guys (northern IL) usually just sit there with Ka blazing, waiting for soccer moms (people with no detector) who are late to pick up Aiden, Jayden, or Kaiden. Pretty easy to sniff out from a mile away. But lately, I've seen them camped in their hide-outs and the Valentine says nothing... Spooky.

In Wisconsin, they love to hang out the window and play sniper -- pick you off with a Lidar gun, so it's understandable when you roll past and detect nothing, but I don't get these guys in northern IL who seem to be passively trolling like they always do, but are not triggering the detector.

Sending the V1 in for the latest firmware (it's only two years old...)

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    but do ya think the state of AZ could leave the rest areas open? Naaaaa, they closed them all. No pisser for me.
    I got your solution right here from an old punk rock amigo, Mike Watt.

Did he get you with laser maybe???

My Passport picked this up once...I was going 79 and am speculating 80 was their magic number as I was going just a hitch quicker than the flow of traffic....

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Remember Speed = distance/time, the radar gun does not have to be on for them to calculate your speed
    St Augustine, FL
    03 RS6
    07 GTI
    88 16v Cabby

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    I got your solution right here from an old punk rock amigo, Mike Watt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Born2be View Post
    Did he get you with laser maybe???

My Passport picked this up once...I was going 79 and am speculating 80 was their magic number as I was going just a hitch quicker than the flow of traffic....

W>
    Dude stole my dance moves...

Wade, did Ponch and John pinch you?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

It was at night and he was hiding blind... he couldn't have timed me. V1 will ping for laser always, I got no laser ping, plus he didn't have good line-of-sight, and I've never seen the local guys using laser. He quoted me my exact speed, so he didn't seem to be fudging anything.

I'm fearing that maybe micropulse POP radar is finally being deployed on the street... which will leave you pretty defenseless no matter what kind of detector you have.

I love how D spends a bunch of time bagging on Da' Man and totally skips your question IN BOLD TYPE!

No, I have not heard any bands that fool V2... news to me.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

I never miss the chance to bag da'man.

Perfect thread jack as I know squat about radar detectors.

Piss bottle man was a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseleg View Post
    Remember Speed = distance/time, the radar gun does not have to be on for them to calculate your speed
    indeed - maybe from above (plane)?

MaxRS6 - 6 yrs for me as well .. one ticket which sympathetic judge reduced to parking ticket )
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

where in northern IL was this?
    2003 RS6 - forsale

Quote Originally Posted by terrytcl View Post
    where in northern IL was this?

View Larger Map

lake forest will do that to you.

if anywhere they have money to buy somethign like that, definitely lake forest.
    2003 RS6 - forsale

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    indeed - maybe from above (plane)?
    This might deter further "eye in the sky" so to say...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIM-92_Stinger

OT, I spent 9 months at NTC great lakes(about 2-3miles from your infraction sight) from Dec 1985 - Sep 1986, shoveling snow in -45 wind chill... not fun...
    Last edited by ben916; March 10th, 2010 at 21:12.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

back in high school, we had a tennis match against lake forest academy.
    couldn't find a drinking fountain... they had evian bottled water on tables (this was back in the early 90s).
    the bathrooms were cleaner and nicer than some hotels i've been in.
    and. never saw so many 100K+ automobiles in a parking lot... these were parked in the student section.
    the parking lot had more cars to look at than the chicago auto show.

if you don't know, lake forest academy is a private high school. lake forest has the highest concentration of professional athletes and celebrities (at least from my memory).

definitely capable of purchasing anything for their 5.0s
    2003 RS6 - forsale