Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Carbon build-up"

Has anyone with an FSI/ TFSI called BND yet? This thread just died.

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

as promised, i would like to say a word or two concerning „Carbon build-up“:

What is “Carbon build-up” and how does it come into being:

With fuel direct injection the cylinder heads and valves are no longer “washed” by fuel, which leads to a lacking “cleaning factor”. This is where the exhaust gas recirculation combined with the ventilation vapor of the crankcase ventilation and oil starts to build up. Particles of dirt and jets of water coming through the air intake path form into firmly adhering layer. This layer is taken up within the chambers of the cylinder heads and the admission valves, resulting in a rough surface, the airflow cross-sections become more narrow leading to non optimal air interlacing and cylinder charge. In total the results of “Carbon build-up” can be bad exhaust emissions, lower power output and higher consumption. In worst case the “Carbon build-up” affects the valve train. The valves can not close completely, which leads to low compression on the relevant cylinder, the fuel composition is not “fired”.

Factors that promote “Carbon build-up”:

Low quality fuel

Frequent short range driving

Preventing higher engine temps

Low RPM driving

intermittent driving

long time „not-using“

using non-specific engine oil

Audi RS 5 and „Carbon build-up“, do i have to worry?

As you might already know, the RS 5 engine ist based on the RS 4 V8 version. Main “Carbon build-up” relevant points that have been altered:

Engine production tolerance over again significant improved

Engine oil temp is increased by ~10°C

Modified piston rings

Resume:

The probability of „Carbon build-up“ within the RS 5 engine is nominal.

Qisha

PS: as the RS 4 V8 was also mentioned you migh like to note, that the engines from build date CW20/2007 received a altered cylinder head with different piston rings.

Dear Qisha, thanks a lot for your post, I think it's very interesting.

I do own one that unfortunately has a build date of mid 2006 therefore I'm affected by the above, the engine is burning 1kg of Castrol Edge in less than 1500km.

I wrote an email to the italian importer about the issue but obviously they were not aware about this nor been informed by Ingolstadt.

Could you recommend an interface in Ingolstadt which I'd pleased do drop few lines about the issue and if there's any chance to make it work thru the italian dealer?

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Daniele

Dear friends I decided to open and examine my engine today.So I went to my dealer.These are today photos by my mobile phone.This is what happens in an RS4 b7 after 100000 km (included 95% urban driving and a lot of aggresive driving).The problem is obvious:

That looks bad. Was the power/fuel consumption affected?

But what next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    That looks bad. Was the power/fuel consumption affected?

But what next?
    Yes.I guess I lost about 25 HP BECAUSE IN 3th gear 3000-8000 rpm it needed 9 secs and when it was new 8,3 secs as all new cars.220-250 km/h on 5 th gear 9,3 secs average .Previous 8,3 secs.Also on 85000 km I changed plugs and fuel economy after 90000 was worst!About 1 liter per 100 km. I had also some vibrations about 1500-1700 rpm and 4200 rpm.1 week before my decision i met another boy with the same car ,also 100000 km , who had major damage in his car.Compression ratio in 4th cylinder 7.He replaced all engine!So I decided to measure comression ratio.On 3 th cylinder mine was 10,3!Best in 1 th cylinder 14,4.All others between 11-12.So I made my decision easier.The other guy went to dyno after and was 25 HP on wheels .Previous measurement was 1 year before damage.Next step is to clean everything is black in the engine.I wiil post as soon as possible new photos.I am a little far away of my car now.
    Last edited by KK265; July 13th, 2010 at 17:35.

Time to stick it back up Audi's you know what.

Engine replacement at 100k/km?

What a joke. I would expect this from a Chevy not a top level Audi RS.

Quote Originally Posted by KK265 View Post
    Yes.I guess I lost about 25 HP BECAUSE IN 3th gear 3000-8000 rpm it needed 9 secs and when it was new 8,3 secs as all new cars.220-250 km/h on 5 th gear 9,3 secs average .Previous 8,3 secs.Also on 85000 km I changed plugs and fuel economy after 90000 was worst!About 1 liter per 100 km. I had also some vibrations about 1500-1700 rpm and 4200 rpm.1 week before my decision i met another boy with the same car ,also 100000 km , who had major damage in his car.Compression ratio in 4th cylinder 7.He replaced all engine!So I decided to measure comression ratio.On 3 th cylinder mine was 10,3!Best in 1 th cylinder 14,4.All others between 11-12.So I made my decision easier.The other guy went to dyno after and was 25 HP on wheels .Previous measurement was 1 year before damage.Next step is to clean everything is black in the engine.I wiil post as soon as possible new photos.I am a little far away of my car now.

The reason why Im not buying any TSI/ FSI motor from VAG. Ill keep buying R32 motors and putting them in my mk4. I bet the additive VAG came up with did not work either.

And the same reason I dont have a RS4 or R8 parked next to my C5 RS6 out in the garage.

No deal Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    The reason why Im not buying any TSI/ FSI motor from VAG. Ill keep buying R32 motors and putting them in my mk4. I bet the additive VAG came up with did not work either.

Same engine after cleaning:

Looks like a new engine, how much did it cost?

Looks like a new engine, how much did it cost?
    Sorry but I do not know yet exactly because the car is not ready yet.I have to retrofit isofix,rear pad replacement ,a recall about ceramic bolts .. I will see exactly on Wednesday when I will pick up the car if everything is ok.I think the cleaning of the engine,manifold,valves etc costs about 1000-1300 euro and about 2000 euro engine and parts out of the car and back again including assembly, some parts as gaskets ,oil,fluids etc
    I think they make good job and I will enjoy my car for another 100000 km without problem!!

So every 100km or 62K Miles you will need to take the engine apart and have it cleaned. Wow VAG just lost me on this one. What is the warranty on these cars again 4/50K so you will be outside the warranty, oh never mind the warranty you cant get this fixed under warranty anyway. This reminds me of an old Quaker State motor. Who uses that oil anymore? Hint Hint!!

Only in the USA... Carbon cleaning under warranty.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...arranty-Thread

Only in the USA... Carbon cleaning under warranty.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...arranty-Thread
    Sorry to drift slightly off topic but can anyone confirm that BOTH the Carbon Cleaning and DRC replacement are covered under warranty?

regards,
    Damien