Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MTM TCU, best $125 spent on my car.

MTM TCU, best $125 spent on my car.

I've been wanting to get the TCU reprogramed for some time, but didn't want the hassle of the down time of 3 days ( big deal I know) being that I'm down to one car now. Since I was sick last week I said screw it, I'm not going anywhere, so I pulled it, boxed it, and got it shipped.

On the third day, he rose again....

After UPS dropped it off I put the TCU back in its home and buttoned everything back up. Driving my beast so gently, to make sure all seemed well, the first thing I noticed is the control of the gear selection. When I told the car to shift, it shifted. I could go as far as keep 5th gear down to 1200rpm/32mph. This I particularly like, as I am always finding my self going over 40 to have it stay in 5th, and many of the roads are 40 limit..

After affirming the car was good to drive I put my foot down and instantly knew I made the right choice. The torque converter goes from regulating to locking SO much faster, ensuring that all of the power is in fact making it to the wheels as the car accelerates. When you let off the gas the TC tends to also stay engaged much longer, giving the feel the car is really in a gear like a manual would be.

All in all, the car should have been programed like this from the factory, best mod for the money that you can actually notice, and makes a big difference. If you are thinking about it, do it, if you're not thinking about it, start to.

Thanks for the Info p3u. I will definitely be going that way after the ECU flash.

Great writeup, good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    Thanks for the Info p3u. I will definitely be going that way after the ECU flash.
    do it before the ECU flash, even if you never do the ECU, do it anyway.

First thing i will do once I drop my car in MTM tomorrow, so will ship it to Hoppen Motorsport tomorrow itself. Local MTM dealer in Dubai gave a very high quote (Very weird)!!. I'm going anyway to drop my car at MTM Dubai tomorrow for Timing & V belts job, engine mounts, IC check, TC & Valve Body will be sent to IPT for upgrade, getting the Master Rebuild Kit (seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, friction clutches and reaction plates) from IPT to rebuild the Trans locally here, returen to 365mm brake setup. Still thinking to do KW v3 installation, 20" RS6 C6 wheels at the same time also. Big job,HUH! Wish me luck.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

+1. Did mine before getting the Unitronic flash, best $125 spent
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I also just had the Hoppen do the MTM mod. to my TCU. I hope to try it soon. -5 deg F. this morning. Car is staying inside for a couple more weeks.

Frank
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT
    01 Wrangler, 03 F250 Diesel, 08 F450

You lug the motor at 32 mph in 5th gear? I never get out of 3rd in the city.. never use 5th till over 70mph..

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    I've been wanting to get the TCU reprogramed for some time, but didn't want the hassle of the down time of 3 days ( big deal I know) being that I'm down to one car now. Since I was sick last week I said screw it, I'm not going anywhere, so I pulled it, boxed it, and got it shipped.

On the third day, he rose again....

After UPS dropped it off I put the TCU back in its home and buttoned everything back up. Driving my beast so gently, to make sure all seemed well, the first thing I noticed is the control of the gear selection. When I told the car to shift, it shifted. I could go as far as keep 5th gear down to 1200rpm/32mph. This I particularly like, as I am always finding my self going over 40 to have it stay in 5th, and many of the roads are 40 limit..

After affirming the car was good to drive I put my foot down and instantly knew I made the right choice. The torque converter goes from regulating to locking SO much faster, ensuring that all of the power is in fact making it to the wheels as the car accelerates. When you let off the gas the TC tends to also stay engaged much longer, giving the feel the car is really in a gear like a manual would be.

All in all, the car should have been programed like this from the factory, best mod for the money that you can actually notice, and makes a big difference. If you are thinking about it, do it, if you're not thinking about it, start to.
    $125?!?!?! That is a freaking dealio!!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ben,

Do it! I sent mine today.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    $125?!?!?! That is a freaking dealio!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Ben,

Do it! I sent mine today.
    Totally has to be on the down low as the wife need not be aware of this information....
    What does this do for my after market warranty??
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

It should be fine. Nobody ever looks for a chip in the transmission ecu. My opinion....I am doing it.

Problem is your car is down for a week and what will you tell the wife?

It should be fine. Nobody ever looks for a chip in the transmission ecu. My opinion....I am doing it.

Problem is your car is down for a week and what will you tell the wife?
    yes that is the dilemma....

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    yes that is the dilemma....
    Hmm, waiting on that special order brake pad clip..............
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Oh yeah,

And walk to work for a week.

Oh yeah,

And walk to work for a week.
    nope, got that covered! 2000 Nissan P/U...

get er done

Over night shipping for both ways is the way to do it, ended up being $225 really with that in mind.