Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MTM TCU, best $125 spent on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    I just got off the phone with Mike. I ordered the TCU prom itself and will be soldering it in myself when it gets here. I didn't want to deal with the downtime of sending my TCU to him. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Oh shit, this is going to be harder than I thought.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Do you know how they, MTM, installs this?

It can't possibly be each individual lead soldiered at a time, could it??

Or do they have a template that you apply soldier paste on your TCU, then place Chip, then heat it in an 450-500 degree oven for 15 minutes...???

O/T
    I was once the "wave soldier guy" at an electronics card sweat shop off of Miramar. I was the other white guy, the VP was the other one.
    I took the job as it seemed interesting but they failed to let me know that there was ZERO health insurance.
    Not the information that you let slip your mind when heated liquid metal tends to pop and splatter...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Oh shit, this is going to be harder than I thought.
    I would have someone solder in a chip socket, then you can shap them later.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Do you know how they, MTM, installs this?

It can't possibly be each individual lead soldiered at a time, could it??

Or do they have a template that you apply soldier paste on your TCU, then place Chip, then heat it in an 450-500 degree oven for 15 minutes...???

O/T
    I was once the "wave soldier guy" at an electronics card sweat shop off of Miramar. I was the other white guy, the VP was the other one.
    I took the job as it seemed interesting but they failed to let me know that there was ZERO health insurance.
    Not the information that you let slip your mind when heated liquid metal tends to pop and splatter...
    Wave soldier? Like a Navy Seal? Yeah, per Mike Hoppen, each one is soldered individually. He says that he uses a heat gun to remove the E-Prom, then uses a de-soldering braid to clean up the contact pads, then solders the new prom into place one leg at a time. I know that they make soldering gun attachments just for the purpose of heating multiple legs of a chip, but I'll be damned if I can find one.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

ok ok, more than half my edits are for spelling....

They look like a 1 inch wide comb that you attach to the solder tip and or replace the tip...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Nothing to it. It actually only took about a half hour to remove the TCU, remove the existing prom, and solder in the new one. Kyle, hint hint..... You should get one of these in your hands before May 1st.

How much for just the chip?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    How much for just the chip?
    Still the same price, $125. I just didn't want to pay to overnight my TCU both ways and have the car down for three days.

OK, makes sense. Looking @ the board reminded me of my old days, repairing PS2's, Nintendo's.. and.... ehem..tweakin 'em!
    Did you use a grounding lead(for static)?
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Did you use a grounding lead(for static)?
    Naw, I just wet my socks down Honestly I didn't even think of that, I thought that was more of a concern when micro relays were involved.

Should be OK, you didn't drag your feet or scratch anything before starting, right?

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

what happens after May 1st?

Hmmm. Well then, I may just have to do that. Pat, I have to admit. When I saw the first pic you posted, I mumbled to myself 'ha - no way'. You must be damn good with the solder gun. I apologize for doubting.

Ben, I am heading to Pat's on May 1st to get a new hall sensor installed after cars and coffee. It is now likely that I'll be having hoppen send me a chip first!!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Is there any chance to buy this chip ONLINE?

Quote Originally Posted by leo qach View Post
    Is there any chance to buy this chip ONLINE?
    Yes, you'll just have to shoot MTM an email and tell them you would like the tcu E-PROM, if you want just the chip.

Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread because I just bought a RS6. A couple quick questions. Is Hoppen motorsports still around and selling the mtm tcu chips for $125? Also, without doing any real research is the TCU on the passenger side front seat under the carpet?

Thanks.
    2003 Audi RS6
    Ebony Pearl Effect
    Stock

Yes and yes. BTW, welcome to the fold!
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

This is going to be my next mod as well.