Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: MTM TCU, best $125 spent on my car.

Where are you? EPL is another reputable tuner on the US east coast, but does remote tuning as well. You do not have to send them your ECU. I may have a TCU w/MTM for sale soon.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Where are you? EPL is another reputable tuner on the US east coast, but does remote tuning as well. You do not have to send them your ECU. I may have a TCU w/MTM for sale soon.
    I live in Dallas, TX area need to update my profile. Thanks.

How much is an EPL ECU tune? Can they easily re-flash from a stage 1 tune to a stage 2 tune? This would at least make me feel like I did not waste money on the MTM TCU.

My other consideration was to not send, but order the "Viper self tuning device"… its an extra $300 (bumping cost up to a $1000), but makes it possible to tune remotely and can be re-flashed for a Stage 2 tune if (should I say when) the upgrades continue.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

1uglymug, so what are your future upgrade plans on the BEAST.........

Quote Originally Posted by Razman2008 View Post
    1uglymug, so what are your future upgrade plans on the BEAST.........
    Right now, I am saying wheels and ECU stage 1 tune and I am done. We will see.

Just to clarify, I don't mean to discouraged you (or anyone) from the MTM TCU. I do like it. My comments are directed at efficiency.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Thanks, its good to get different views on stuff, especially since these cars are so different, from anything I have had in the past. And I don't feel like blowing up my transmission, my wife is not happy I am buying a 10 year old car to begin with.

Your transmission will blow up just parked in your garage...
    2013 Audi S8

I just got my car back from the Indy after have a remanufactured transmission installed and I was wondering if there is any reprogramming of the tcu when a new transmission is installed. I am wondering if my mtm tcu software is still there or is there a way for me to check with vagcom.

The MTM chip is soldered into the TCU. They never should have touched the TCU. You can probably only tell by driving it.
    2013 Audi S8

What he ^ said...my car drove great when i got it back. Trans will take a bit to break in, double check your fluid level too.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

my shop wants me to bring back the car at 1000 miles to check the fluid level and for codes. Any other advice in regards to a break in period, as far as when I can really push the car to wot, or should I drive carefully for a while.

Well that is not a good sign. The first 5000 dollar trans bill and you'll we sleeping in the 10yr old car.

Converter can go at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Razman2008 View Post
    Thanks, its good to get different views on stuff, especially since these cars are so different, from anything I have had in the past. And I don't feel like blowing up my transmission, my wife is not happy I am buying a 10 year old car to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Well that is not a good sign. The first 5000 dollar trans bill and you'll we sleeping in the 10yr old car.

Converter can go at any moment.
    Yep..see post #133
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by mbagge01 View Post
    my shop wants me to bring back the car at 1000 miles to check the fluid level and for codes. Any other advice in regards to a break in period, as far as when I can really push the car to wot, or should I drive carefully for a while.
    I took it easy on the trans for the first few hundred miles. I could tell the clutches were very tight, and they smoothed out after 3-400 miles. Personally, I'd recommend getting your own scanner, Ross-Tech.com. And I'm hoping you have a new(er) TC in there also? I took a preventative measure and not only checked fluid at 7-800 miles, but also drained it all and put fresh in, along with new filter. $500 of preventative care on an $5k trans makes sense to me. There was a decent bit of fresh clutch powder, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I also brought my car back in after 100 miles or so to top off the fluid, simply paranoid, and it takes less than an hour to get up on the lift and top it off...low fluid = cooked trans. Another reason to drive easy until it's looked at again...

Also, you could hit WOT at any time, just don't SHIFT at WOT...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    You lug the motor at 32 mph in 5th gear? I never get out of 3rd in the city.. never use 5th till over 70mph..
    No reason to rev with all the torque, unless needed. Sure that's not a RS4 that's shifting into OD at 70mph+?

With the GIAC tcu, trained the trans to short shift into 5 at 40mph, now a year later, will self shift into 5th at about 36-38mph. No lugging whatsoever.
    Always autoshifted into 5th by about 60mph on light throttle.

Lost in time here......and didn't own said RS6 until last year--
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Turns out my MTM TCU is back. Anyone wants it, let me know and we can work it out. I will need your stock TCU + cash in trade.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Turns out my MTM TCU is back. Anyone wants it, let me know and we can work it out. I will need your stock TCU + cash in trade.
    PM'd you.
    '03 RS6 | Avus Silver Pearl | Black + CF interior | SE Exhaust | 64k miles and counting

Ok, a little bit offtopic.
    My car sometimes would shift into 5th at 40-43mph.
    After I'd drive it in manual mode for a bit, it would start shifting at higher rpms, then, sometime after would go back to shifting super early.
    I always thought something was wrong with it.

Now reading G2s post, makes me wonder if I actually got the tcu chip as well I stalled