Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: MTM TCU, best $125 spent on my car.

Do you see any issue in having different "brands" for the ECU and TCU tunes? I've got the GIAC tune for the ECU, I assume it won't have any adverse effect on the TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by cgc154 View Post
    Do you see any issue in having different "brands" for the ECU and TCU tunes? I've got the GIAC tune for the ECU, I assume it won't have any adverse effect on the TCU tune.
    Nope, they are separate. I run a Revo ECU tune managed by Unitronic with the MTM TCU chip, now tell me that isn't screwed up And it flies!

Your only adverse affect will be running that GIAC tune, get that off of your car...cue Dave. I'd log data to make sure you're not running lean, varies by version of the tune.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yeah I've heard the stories about the GIAC tune. My VAG-COM just arrived in the mail this week, so as soon as I figured out how to log data I'll be double checking the tune. I bought the car with it on there but the previous owner shelled out $2000 for it in April of 2012. Not sure what version it is. I haven't done much research into other ECU tunes but if it costs that much to reflash a different tune, I'd rather make sure it's not running lean and keep it in before jumping ship to another tune. Granted, if it is running badly I'll switch for sure as I don't want to grenade the engine.
    C5 RS6 Daytona Grey/Carbon Fiber Trim - 19" VMR 701 - GIAC Tune - KW V3 Coilovers - Stern Control Arms - Hotchkis Sway Bars - Milltek Non-Res Black Tips

Yeah I've heard the stories about the GIAC tune. My VAG-COM just arrived in the mail this week, so as soon as I figured out how to log data I'll be double checking the tune. I bought the car with it on there but the previous owner shelled out $2000 for it in April of 2012. Not sure what version it is. I haven't done much research into other ECU tunes but if it costs that much to reflash a different tune, I'd rather make sure it's not running lean and keep it in before jumping ship to another tune. Granted, if it is running badly I'll switch for sure as I don't want to grenade the engine.

I I hope he didn't pay $2k for the tune. Lol. Wayyyyy over priced.
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

I can show you the paperwork! $2k tune, $90 for labor to flash it.

Update: I've gotten responses from both Horchaus in Canada and MTM USA down in florida via email.

MTM USA: jakob@mtm-online.us
    Horchaus: info@horchaus.com

Horchaus can send the chip for 175 CAD (~$132 USD), but I will need to find a soldering technician to install it. MTM USA hasn't quoted a price yet, but they have inferred I could send the TCU to them for soldering.

For reference, the 034 TCU tune is $450, vagautowerks is $350.
    C5 RS6 Daytona Grey/Carbon Fiber Trim - 19" VMR 701 - GIAC Tune - KW V3 Coilovers - Stern Control Arms - Hotchkis Sway Bars - Milltek Non-Res Black Tips

Update: I've gotten responses from both Horchaus in Canada and MTM USA down in florida via email.

Horchaus can send the chip for 175 CAD (~$132 USD), but I will need to find a soldering technician to install it. MTM USA hasn't quoted a price yet, but they have inferred I could send the TCU to them for soldering.

i got vagautowerks TCU last weeks we just finished the street tuning late last night. I went from 5.8 second from 2500rpm in third gear to 4.9 seconds. It shifts smooth and feels better than what I have. It's hard to tell the difference between everyone's TCU in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    i got vagautowerks TCU last weeks we just finished the street tuning late last night. I went from 5.8 second from 2500rpm in third gear to 4.9 seconds. It shifts smooth and feels better than what I have. It's hard to tell the difference between everyone's TCU in my opinion...
    Say what? What are those times relating to? But yes, I'd say it's a small difference with TCU tunes.

Get the MTM if you can, just don't fry your TCU soldering it in.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Did someone say GIAC?

Just move along. There is nothing to see here.

I know nothing but the facts. Just the facts jack. Requested boost and requested a/f targets. And you see the results below. I could not save this one as I took ownership too late but it all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Nope, they are separate. I run a Revo ECU tune managed by Unitronic with the MTM TCU chip, now tell me that isn't screwed up And it flies!

Your only adverse affect will be running that GIAC tune, get that off of your car...cue Dave. I'd log data to make sure you're not running lean, varies by version of the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Say what? What are those times relating to? But yes, I'd say it's a small difference with TCU tunes.

Get the MTM if you can, just don't fry your TCU soldering it in.
    sorry, I mean 2500rpm to redline. My old power band was all over the place on the graphs. Going to the drag strip this Wednesday and possibly dyno the day after that to see the difference from my old to new.
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    sorry, I mean 2500rpm to redline. My old power band was all over the place on the graphs. Going to the drag strip this Wednesday and possibly dyno the day after that to see the difference from my old to new.
    So you're talking ECU power tune then. A trans shifting tune on your TCU won't affect power, just crisps up and moves shift points. Maybe the unplug and reset of your system is clearing codes that were slowing you down, and should come back if issues aren't resolved.

yeaaahhhhh so priorities just shifted to do this ASAP to make sure my top end doesn't look like that ever...I should log blocks 3, 31, and 115, from what I've found on this site, but not sure what those will give me. Just got my VAGCOM this past week, so I've only plugged it into make sure it works.

Out of curiosity, why does only that one cylinder/valve face look so shitty in your blown engine? The one to the left looks unphased. If the tune was running so lean as to cause detonation, wouldn't all of the cylinders look like that?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Did someone say GIAC?

Just move along. There is nothing to see here.

I know nothing but the facts. Just the facts jack. Requested boost and requested a/f targets. And you see the results below. I could not save this one as I took ownership too late but it all worked out.

Another update: just purchased a used TCU + MTM chip from u/alrightroad. Didn't want to bother with sending out my tcu to get the chip soldered, so now I'll have a stock TCU as a backup. I'll let you know what it's like when I put it in!

Looks like a good upgrade, but I cannot find MTM USA anywhere.
    - Are they still in business?
    Does anyone have their contact info?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by lbp View Post
    Looks like a good upgrade, but I cannot find MTM USA anywhere.
    - Are they still in business?
    Does anyone have their contact info?
    Thanks in advance.
    Basically not found anymore. Last MTM dealer was in Ontario or Montreal, some silly talking Poutine eating city north of here...kidding...mostly.

It's a flash of the chip, then solder new chip into TCU for the process, located in passenger footwell. Also a reason to keep sunroof and cowl drains clear!

034 Motorsports makes a TCU tune, and there are some smaller shops, maybe AMD or EPL that can do the tune. Helps to tighten up shifting a bit.

Use Google to search this site for info..."site:rs6.com TCU tune" something like that. Go back then forward with your browser if you run into spam links from Google.

Welcome to the site!

http://www.horchaus.com

http://www.horchaus.com/Price%20List...%20quattro.htm

"Gearbox-programming for sporty comfortably shifting"

the TCU chip is not listed but still included in the 500 hp version.....so you can still get it.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Nice, thanks.
    Come to think of it though I should probably check with Level 10.
    I believe they might have done a trans flash when they rebuilt the transmission a few years ago.

Is there another contact email/phone # for MTM US? Not getting any response from jakob@mtm-online.us

Quote Originally Posted by agent5150 View Post
    Is there another contact email/phone # for MTM US? Not getting any response from jakob@mtm-online.us
    I too recently reached out to MTM USA asking about their status.
    - Although I did not communicate further, the jakob@mtm-online.us address is the exact one I got back to my response.
    So to be fair they do seem to be in business, however, I think the days are gone as compared to when Joe Hoppen was in the MTM wheelhouse.
    Back around 2001 I spoke with Joe (now deceased) on numerous occasions about my Bi-Turbo S4 and ended up getting an excellent 350hp tune for that car.
    The car is long gone but I am wondering what type of development is going on at MTM these days with Joe gone, too.