Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cost of Ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I opted for the RS6 at 38...but I basically agree...first car was a 91 civic sold at 290,000 miles, good little car.
    lol....get divorced, so you can and do buy RS6 at 36...smile. RS5 at 43, R8 at 44 and RS7 at probably 45 since its delayed. Stopped waiting for another damn RS6 and just buying whatever they do send.

If you blow time on R8 forums its scary...I am a fossil by age around there. Lots of 20s and 30s there from the .com world. First car 75 Buick Regal, second a 1984 chevy cavalier convertible (pos but still cant go wrong with a convertible) but drove my Dad's Honda CRX ...great little car...really learned 'how' to drive with that car
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

J.O.B. Just over broke.......I'm not quite ready to give up Park City....so I'll work a bit more....maybe for another 10 years or until the wife kicks my ass to the curb....then somewhere else...

Yep, your mileage may vary as the upkeep costs vary greatly.

#1 Late VIN RS6 w/45k. Cost me nothing this year. 5k miles/yr and factory trans completely intact from day 1.

#2 Early VIN RS6 w/60k. Cost the service contract 25k this year. Sold it after all the repairs to buy #3. Trans at 40k.

#3 Early VIN RS6 w/47k. Cost the service contract 17k and counting this year. TC at 40k, Trans at 41k, now with 47k all seems well. Out of pocket about 1k in maint costs while the engine was out. Otherwise I do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    What DHall said. Transmission fund. Read up on symptoms. Test drive any RS6 carefully after you do read up. RS6s without a transmission failure in my opinion are the exception. Owned one under 6 years of warranty. 5 torque converters and 4 transmissions...I traded it in at 86K with early symptoms for a 5th. Of 8 fellow RS6 owners I know personally only one still has the originally transmission. He rarely uses it and even more rarely drives it hard. Fantastic car. I miss it but glad I can replace it finally.

lol....get divorced, so you can and do buy RS6 at 36...smile. RS5 at 43, R8 at 44 and RS7 at probably 45 since its delayed. Stopped waiting for another damn RS6 and just buying whatever they do send.

If you blow time on R8 forums its scary...I am a fossil by age around there. Lots of 20s and 30s there from the .com world. First car 75 Buick Regal, second a 1984 chevy cavalier convertible (pos but still cant go wrong with a convertible) but drove my Dad's Honda CRX ...great little car...really learned 'how' to drive with that car
    Wise person once said....always someone with a bigger house...hotter wife....faster car.....I'm happy with my fun divided by dollar .....

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Wise person once said....always someone with a bigger house...hotter wife....faster car.....I'm happy with my fun divided by dollar .....
    They were right. My house is average, wife ok, car is faster... just my car collection is a bit expansive. No kids either...big point there...that makes it possible (would rather have the kids) that should help folks do the math. Also just did that overhead reduction of doing the move from downtown Chicago to suburban Florida. Way the heck less taxes, no state income tax, and just about all goods/services cheaper. Pay raise right there.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

Went from 10k/yr property tax in Oregon to 4k in the current house/AZ to a potential 1500/yr in TN

Went from 10%+ state income tax in Oregon to 5-6% in AZ to Zero/ziltch/nada in TN.

Going to leave the hot AZ land of sky high sales tax and value levy license plate fees/main reason I will not buy a new car in AZ to the lovely country outside Nashville. Cars/trucks/motorhome all paid for and watch the monkeys swing from the trees. LOL

They were right. My house is average, wife ok, car is faster... just my car collection is a bit expansive. No kids either...big point there...that makes it possible (would rather have the kids) that should help folks do the math. Also just did that overhead reduction of doing the move from downtown Chicago to suburban Florida. Way the heck less taxes, no state income tax, and just about all goods/services cheaper. Pay raise right there.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Went from 10k/yr property tax in Oregon to 4k in the current house/AZ to a potential 1500/yr in TN

Went from 10%+ state income tax in Oregon to 5-6% in AZ to Zero/ziltch/nada in TN.

Going to leave the hot AZ land of sky high sales tax and value levy license plate fees/main reason I will not buy a new car in AZ to the lovely country outside Nashville. Cars/trucks/motorhome all paid for and watch the monkeys swing from the trees. LOL
    Great idea. Best move I did was to get the house down south at the same time as the R8 to save over 3% on the sales tax...on an R8 GT that was indeed huge. All cars owned outright except for the RS5 and house is paid down by half. Condo in Chicago still owned but rented to cover all costs. So soon finances will be about pure savings for the rest of the way in.

Everyone has their own way they want to live....and that is what I love about this forum...I love driving to work once a week and having no stoplights or signs to work over 35 miles and only one stop light home. Still willing to pay Utah state income tax at 7.5 to get the view I have on my off days. Lots of people here with a s#!t load more money than me, but can still have fun with a 10 year old car.

and a ten year old car that is way more fun than 98% of cars out there still. It is a timeless beast. I would still have mine if it weren't for the new tranny every 15K in my case. Still miss the car. It really is number one on previous cars I have owned of the favorite. I'm hoping the RS7 will feel like it again. The RS5 is way different. Miss the torque.

and a ten year old car that is way more fun than 98% of cars out there still. It is a timeless beast. I would still have mine if it weren't for the new tranny every 15K in my case. Still miss the car. It really is number one on previous cars I have owned of the favorite. I'm hoping the RS7 will feel like it again. The RS5 is way different. Miss the torque.
    Nice segue gentlemen. I too recently flipped the 50 and it is amazing how you start counting your peanuts. Especially in my case - THREE daughters. One is launched through college with a good job, one half way through, and the youngest starts college next year. That has been a $4K >per month< draw for the last six years. The oldest is getting married next year. HMFJCMOG. Photographer? $3K. Venue? $3K. I figure that is a 1/3 of it, but I am sure there will be more surprises. No wonder there are so many in the wedding planning biz. Nice GDP adder.
    Nice stable mmaturo. That 60 Biarritz must have been a hell of a stumble upon, what a ride. I think everyone needs something like that just because. Right now, for me, the past is a 1981 Scirocco S. But I really want a 55 Healey 100. Happy with my bone stock, perfect, nevereverneverever abused RS6 for now, but that 10secS4 tune is tempting. Will probably do that in the next year, then keep the RS6 for another couple. The RS5 is on my radar - we'll see. End goal is the R8 though. Carry on.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

No matter what the cost...its worth it.

I drive #1 on Saturdays to work just the fun of low traffic on the hwy. 95% of my commute is hwy with 75mph speed limits.

Well two jack a$$es in Hondas decide to block both lanes and drive 70mph. 5 miles go by and I determine that they have no plans to move over. The Honda in the right lane speeds up alittle giving me a 1/2 car gap and then proceeds to brake check me on the open hwy. Well, I was expecting this move and planned on putting two wheels off on the shoulder and passing both of them in about 2 seconds.

Complete morons and I think the one was scared out of his shorts when I went by at about 100mph.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    If you're 18....get Subaru Impreza....(what I got my daughter).....when your 28....get a Subaru WRX......when you're 38......get a WRX STI.....when you grow up....48....get an RS6...
    How about a Toyota MR2 at 18, MR2 Supercharged and Mazda RX-7 Turbo at 20, MR2 Turbo and Datsun 240Z at 21, BMW 325i at 23, Audi S4 at 25, Subaru BRZ and WRX STi at 27? LOL I must be on the accelerated program. Or the "not financially sound" program.

I am young and I may be skipping some steps (i.e. buying an RS 6 before turning 30) but what can I say? I have expensive tastes and a strong desire for MOAR POWAHHHH. Being an Audi salesman before turning to selling Subarus and leasing an S4 really spoiled me. Most of my friends are happier than pigs in $#!t driving around in creaky, squeaky, suped-up Subarus, but for me it's not enough. I have a 2013 Subaru BRZ and a 2004 WRX STi, the latter of which will be sold to make room for the RS 6. Apart from the car addiction I'm single, rent is cheap and only carry another year or two of college debt. I also conveniently rent a garage unit with a few friends so I have the ability to do all my own work, and if I get in over my head, I'm friends with a Porsche/Audi master tech and still know all the people at the local Audi dealer.

I'm definitely looking out for a manual-converted RS 6 to save major headaches (and because automatic is boring), but I might make an exception for the right Daytona Gray automatic and do the conversion myself. The lower the mileage and more expensive to begin with, most likely the better.
    Time to start saving up an "oh, $#!t" fund!