Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone yet needed to replace rear rotors??

Anyone yet needed to replace rear rotors??

My car is at 95000 miles and my front rotors (second set) are toast. New set on order. But rears are still ok. I figured I need to replace the rears at some point. Hope to swap the fronts this Tuesday I had them off when I did the brake pads last spring. Rotor swap is a snap. Just remove some brake fluid from cylinder. LOL.

Has anyone actually needed rear rotors? At what mileage??

Mike

ps begin rant: My dealer checked the brakes at DRC repair. Five thousand miles ago "they're fine. Brakes are fine.". WTF. the inner front rotors are worn through the rivets. Noticed while I did my oil change last week. WTF end rant.

Mike,

I remember that post you made. I told you at the time not to let it go. Dealer staff have no clue about the stupid OEM pad rivets. The techs dont have to dig 1500 dollars of out their pocket to replace brakes on these things. We do so there is alittle more motivation on our end to watch much closer.

Did you order the rotors from genuinevwaudiparts.com? They were running 560 for the fronts. No sales tax.

Rears....I would just leave them if not worn under min.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    My car is at 95000 miles and my front rotors (second set) are toast. New set on order. But rears are still ok. I figured I need to replace the rears at some point. Hope to swap the fronts this Tuesday I had them off when I did the brake pads last spring. Rotor swap is a snap. Just remove some brake fluid from cylinder. LOL.

Has anyone actually needed rear rotors? At what mileage??

Mike

ps begin rant: My dealer checked the brakes at DRC repair. Five thousand miles ago "they're fine. Brakes are fine.". WTF. the inner front rotors are worn through the rivets. Noticed while I did my oil change last week. WTF end rant.

Damn $560. That makes me smile. My last set was $820 a year ago.

I'm still on my original to me rears at 85K. Although i have a vibration now from high speed down...not sure if its the fronts or rears.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Damn $560. That makes me smile. My last set was $820 a year ago.

I'm still on my original to me rears at 85K. Although i have a vibration now from high speed down...not sure if its the fronts or rears.
    I would imagine that the vibration is coming from the fronts. The proportioning valve sends so little pressure to the rears that short of driving 500 miles with the E-brake on, I don't think that you could build up enough heat to warp the rear rotors. I recently had the same vibration, not during regular driving, just while braking from anything over the triple digits. A new set of front rotors cured it.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

My car is at 95000 miles and my front rotors (second set) are toast. .
    Wow Mike - only 2 sets at 95k .. I went through my second set of fronts at 49k .. is it just me? Third set, plus rears, done at 75k. Are you pulling a Fred Flintstone and dragging your feet in order to stop?
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

My car has 86K on it now and I just had pads and OE rotors installed all around this past Friday...they were all the original rotors it looked like! Spend the money and get the OE front pad spring/caliper pin set too....we had to ruin the front pins to get them out.

The rears def needed to be done on mine...and it seemed to get rid of a highway vibration that I thought was a bent or out of balance rim. Bonus.

I'm going to clean up the old rotors and make wall clocks out of them. Nicely engineered pieces of metal/eye candy.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

At 95k miles I just my rears turned, good as new, and much less then replacements!

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Wow Mike - only 2 sets at 95k .. I went through my second set of fronts at 49k .. is it just me? Third set, plus rears, done at 75k. Are you pulling a Fred Flintstone and dragging your feet in order to stop?

I did 2 sets of front pads @ 58k km, rear at that point about gone, replaced with Movit all corners, 3rd set of front pads/second front rotors, 2nd pads on rear, all @ 115k km. This setup seem to utilize the rear brakes bit better than stock.
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

71K miles and my RS6 is on its third set of rear rotors(they've been replaced twice) as well as fronts.

The Rivets I am referring to are on the ROTOR not the pads!

The inner surface of the rotors is so worn that I can see what appears to be the mounting rivets or bolts which are used to hold the rotor together! I am not 100% sure, but once I remove them I'll know more.

The issue is that in order to "Check" the rotors they are supposed to simply measure the thickness with a caliper and then if below spec recommend replacement.

To say "They are fine" and then end up with such obvious excessive wear just a few thousand miles later is simply carelessness. I have to find the printout, if I recall then make note of my request to have the brakes checked and their findings! LOL

The rear rotors are in pretty good shape.

Those who also have high mileage and have replaced pads and rotors more frequently must have had more non-highway driving? A low mileage - in the city only car - perhaps could have the need for more frequent brake changes?

I must say I was very surprised when the rotors needed to be first replaced at about 25 k miles since I had not seen that kind of wear before. My 1997 M3 had about 65000 miles when I turned it in and it was on the original brake pads and rotors! It was a lighter car I guess.

I have no issues with replacing the parts, the brakes otherwise have been great! I have not had any vibration issues (luckily) so I guess the rotors have worn nice and evenly LOL...

Have a nice day!

I'll be doing the work this Saturday.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Mike,

I remember that post you made. I told you at the time not to let it go. Dealer staff have no clue about the stupid OEM pad rivets. The techs dont have to dig 1500 dollars of out their pocket to replace brakes on these things. We do so there is alittle more motivation on our end to watch much closer.

Did you order the rotors from genuinevwaudiparts.com? They were running 560 for the fronts. No sales tax.

Rears....I would just leave them if not worn under min.

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    At 95k miles I just my rears turned, good as new, and much less then replacements!

I understand that "Turning" the rotors just resurfaces the rotors to remove irregularities but it does not add back lost thickness!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    LOL....

I think this would be the third set of rotors (I really can't be certain until I pull out the other bills) If I recall I had the first done at about 25k or 30 k miles (included in warrantee) and I think another set done at about 70? Not sure. Maybe just the one time. I really don't recall the $820 bill for those parts! YIKES.

I paid that $820 this week though!

Mike

Mike -

Please post pictures of the rotors once off, I'd be interested to see their conditon.

Steve
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

Will do!

Mike

Just replaced front and rear calipers at 41k. Rears were mostly ok. I'm looking at a Billy Boat exhaust...any thoughts?
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best- Occam's Razor

I understand that "Turning" the rotors just resurfaces the rotors to remove irregularities but it does not add back lost thickness!

Mike
    If the rotor is not less then minimal thickness then what is the problem? Still has more then enough rotor and a nice like new finish.

Just finished changing front rotors. Took about 45 minutes. Quite easy.

Old rotors worn beyond spec but the inside surface was not as bad as it looked when I was under the car last week.
    The Rivets I thought I saw were simply the cross drill holes full of brake dust. D'oh....how silly of me

I still need to sort though my bills for the total count, but I think this was set three including original.

I must say it was one of the easier repairs I've done on a car from a maintenance standpoint. The "tighten the steering rack thing" was pretty quick! Far easier than the oil change..

I'll post photo's of the old rotors later. I'd rather post photos taken with my Canon D10 than my Iphone.

Mike

(yes the brakes still work)

Looked up records
    I had my first set replaced at 48000 miles under warrantee with first brake pad replacement!

So at 96000 miles I am due for rotors right on time.

Mike