Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug change guide

Spark plug change guide

I just changed out my plugs and filters, and thought I'd post a step by step guide for those curious. Someone wanted one a while back.

Step one, open the hood, you should notice a sexy V8 bi turbo engine. Gaze into its carbon for 3-5 minutes, after which you'll be ready to get started.

Step two, grab a torx t20 screw driver, and remove the the two screws holding each of the intake inlets to the radiator support.

Step three, loosen the clamp connecting the back piece in the intake inlet to the intake hose. You only need to loosen the one clamp, but you can do both if you like.

Step four, hit the two pop buttons on the carbon cover, pull on the back side to remove from engine.

Step 5, the first thing you will want to do is remove the bolt in the front center of the air box. You will need a 6mm hex wrench to remove.

Next thing you will do is remove the two bolts on each side of the bottom of the air box. You can't see these from the top, but they are underneath. Use a 10mm wrench to remove these.

Last thing is the MAF wiring harness. Again, you can't see this from topside, but after removing the bolts you can lift the box up ( and do so gently as not to damage the wires) and gain access to the harness. Just grab the connector, squeeze and pull.

You airbox is now free to take out.

ALSO, now is a great time to replace the filters!

Underside view of airbox to help with location of bottom nuts and MAF connectors.

Engine once airbox is removed.

Step six, now that the airbox is out of the way you have access to the coil packs. Start out by removing the connectors. Like the MAF connectors just squeeze and pull.

Next grab a 10mm socket and remove the bolts holding the coil packs to the head. The driver side is that simple, other then pulling a PCV line out of the way, the passenger side you will have to unbolt two line to get access to all of the coil pack bolts.

On the passenger side there are three bolts you will have to remove, each one is a 5mm hex. Unsrew these, pull the lines to the side, and out come the last bolts.

After this you are free to pull the coil packs out, and have access to the spark plugs.

All thats left to do is grab a 5/8in spark plug socket, and remove the old ones. When putting the new onces make sure to use a torque wrench, and tighten to 22ft lbs. I also reccomend using anti sieze on the spark plugs, it's a dollar investment to prevent getting a spark plug stuck in your head.

Just do the steps in reverse to put it all back together!

Let me know if you anyone has any questions!

usually when I open the hood and gaze upon the V8TT I forget why I opened it. Seriously, great overview, makes this job look very doable - thanks.
    SOLD - 2003 RS6 Black on Black / SE / Solar / Carbon / APR ECU + TCU / Wagner Intercoolers / Fog light delete / RNS-E / LED tails / Clear Corners / Sportek Cooling / itg filters /

Nice writup and pics!
    210K miles rolled

Good stuff ! Thanx man...
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Awesome write up!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks everyone and you're all welcome. I'm going to make it a point to make a write up every time I do some work.

Here is another one I did a while back for replacing the driver side door window switch bezel, if anyone is interested

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/18...=door+write+up

OK, resurrecting this one...

The absolute most difficult part of this DIY is removing the MAF connections to the airbox.

Oh and take a guess what this is? (Pat is excluded, as he got the 911 call...)

Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hmmm

210K miles rolled

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!! ........ kinda...

Something is missing and where EVER could it be?!?!?

Insert Murphy's Law here.....

Not down the rabbit hole
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Not down the rabbit hole
    Yer DAMN SKIPPY right!
    Took an hour to fish out the 2 pieces, the 3rd was still in the MAF connection on the airbox... used a vacuum...

Currently searching for a pigtail for the MAF connector to add some room/flexibility so this doesn't happen in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Not down the rabbit hole
    Now that is Scary!
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Very helpful post.....thanks to all who contribute!!!
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

I bought this spark plug socket, it is long enough that you don't need any extension, so you don't have to worry about the socket staying down in the hole when you pull on the ratchet.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4..._Tools/ES9340/

I changed the plugs the other day in the RS6 but now I'm getting multiple cylinder misfires. The coil packs don't feel like they are making a tight connection with the plugs. Plugs are factory replacements I bought on sparkplugauto.com any suggestions?
    - Scott Long -

I propose an FAQ sub section in this forum for all of these great articles. We have one thread that has some links in it but it would be great if these were in a section on their own for easy finding.
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

Pull them back out and try the fit between the coil packs and the plugs out of the engine. If the fit is good there, then check the plugs to see if they are the same length as what you removed. It wouldn't take much of a difference to cause an issue with firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynmicracr View Post
    I propose an FAQ sub section in this forum for all of these great articles. We have one thread that has some links in it but it would be great if these were in a section on their own for easy finding.
    LMAO ! It is one of the stickys on the main page! Good proposal. How much easiet can it get. I have to give you some grief for that one.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats