Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This could be very bad...

This could be very bad...

I picked up the car yesterday and drove her home, about 12 miles. When my son came home, we went for a ride. Drove her another mile or so, when Bam!, she abruptly died. She turned over, but wouldn't start (seemed to run for a few seconds on one bank of cylinders, then would die). A flatbed came and got her, and now the dealership is trying to figure it out. I'm hoping its something simple, probably computer or electrical related (keep your fingers crossed for me), but its not quite the 'RS6 buying experience I was expecting!

Will keep you posted,

Patrick

:vsad2: Hope you get that sorted out without too much trouble.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Sorry to hear that!

Please keep us informed, for all we know it might hopefully be minor, maybe something to do with the alarm system, which can cut the power to the engine.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

I had a simular experience in an S8. It turned out to be the immobilizor in the key. I hope it is as simple as somthing like that. Good luck.

Almost the same thing happened to me last night.

I started the car up warm and it started missing very badly about a minute into my drive. It would cut out (as in no gas or spark) at light throttle and I swear I heard two backfires through the exhaust

I pulled over and turned the car off after driving around for a few minutes waiting for the car to unsuccessfully clear itself out. Waited a minute or so and refired the car. It acted perfectly normal.

Let me know what your problem was so I can tell the dealer what to fix without them having to tear the car apart.

WOW!!! Very sorry to hear that. Please keep all of us posted. So far mine has been a dream come true and it pains me to have a fellow RS 6 nut without his Beast. My simpathies:vsad2:

Ben

That sucks....sorry to hear it. Hopefully it is a simply fix and your back on the road. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Bauer
    03 RS6
    01 S8
    92 S4

Oh man, that's a bummer. I hope there is a quick and painless resolution!!
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Update on dead RS6

The dealer's interim report is that the problem is "some kind of electrical problem" that affects five different component systems in the car (?). No estimate yet on how long to get it repaired.

I asked for more specific info, but I only spoke with a service writer who didn't know much. When available, I'll be sure to get the lowdown from the Tech so I can pass it along to the good folks here.

Stay tuned,

Patrick

Ok, but then it isn't a big mechanical failure which would be much worse and more expensive (probably)...
    But still, with all the safety systems (airbag, esp and god-knows-what) a electrical failure would worry me a bit too, hence I don't want that airbag in my face unless I actually need it.:bang:

Hope it'll get solved soon, take care!

Further update on dead RS6

I swear I'm not making this up: The Service Director states that, upon occasion, when making a right turn, a master fuse blows for unknown reasons (I had just completed a right turn when my beast expired). This sufficiently f*cks up several component systems to kill the car, cause replacement of modules, etc. This is an intermittant problem, but obviously a serious one.

The Service Director claims that this is a hereto unknown condition. Audi NA has been made aware of the situation and is sending a senior Audi Tech, presumably from Germany, to the Chicago area tomorrow. The dealer is holding on to my trade-in (BMW 540i) in case the situation can't be resolved and I have to walk from the deal. Unbelieveable!

The dealer (Audi Exchange) has been very proactive in addressing the issue and keeping me informed, but that doesn't keep me from being MAJOR bummed.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem, please let me know.

More to follow.

weird for sure

That's a weird one for sure!

I'll have to either take it slow on right hand turns, or at the very least just take left hand turns from now on.

Really sorry to hear it, and thanks for sharing all the news with us. I say keep the RS6 nonetheless, and let's see how many on the board eventually ever get that issue.

Truly Bizarre

I have Never heard of this from any C5 based A6 before and I thought I've heard 'em all.

It sounds like your dealer is trying to do right by you; keep us posted

Hmm, I'd better learn to perfect the handbrake-induced right turn...

Wow, that is truly bizarre.

I think it is related to the battery being on the right hand side of the trunk, which is why this situation has never occured in previous C5 based A6s or the non-USA RS6s. Since the battery takes up trunk space, it creates a "vacuum" where air should normally exist. So, when a right hand turn is made, and when all the air in the trunk shifts from right to left, that "vacuum" disturbs the equilibrium, or atmosphere, within the car just enough to cause the master fuse to blow. I knew I didn't like that battery back there.

More seriously, this is truly a bummer and I hope that it is an easy fix, something of a twist-tie here or there around some wires type of solution.

'01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Hey Patrick,

Sorry to hear about your car. GOOD Luck mate. Im keeping my fingers crossed=):vsad2:

Patrick,

Can't they find you a new RS6? From what I have read on AW there are quite a few unsold RS6's in the US.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

Originally posted by avdh
    Patrick,

Can't they find you a new RS6? From what I have read on AW there are quite a few unsold RS6's in the US.

This is a possibility I am going to pursue this morning. I suspect, however, that the dealer will be reluctant to admit that there are unsold units in the States. We shall see.

Patrick

Mine's still sitting in New York. You could get it, I'm sure. Email me if necessary, but good luck with the repair, and sorry about your mess...
    Mr. Fru-T-Pants, certifiable Audi addict...

"Delivering fresh produce to your door since the turn of the century..."